Software or IT jobs

Moderator: John

Software or IT jobs

Postby Smitty1219 » 15 Apr 2012, 09:29

Hello all, I am currently trying to decide if moving to Taiwan is plausible or not, and was wondering if someone could give me an idea of my chances at succeeding.

Currently I have two 2-year degrees in IT and computer management systems, and am slowly working on a 4-year degree (part-time).
I also have 2+ years working as a software and web developer.

I have visited Taiwan for two summers already, and have been learning Mandarin for about two years now.

My plan would be to either start by teaching English, and start looking for another job when I get there, or finish my degree in Taiwan (along with taking more Mandarin classes) while looking for jobs.
Am I just talking nonsense or would it actually be possible for me to find a decent computer related job?

Any guidance would really help, thanks~ :D
Smitty1219
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Software or IT jobs

Postby creztor » 15 Apr 2012, 10:59

You've got a snowball's chance in hell of finding a computer related job. It wouldn't be impossible, but why hire the white guy when you can get a local serf to do your work for 18k a month, 12 hours a day? You'd be much better off to work overseas and then get posted to Taiwan if you wanted to work in some IT/computer related job.
Lost in Kaohsiung :D
creztor
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

89 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

Software or IT jobs

Postby headhonchoII » 15 Apr 2012, 11:57

Just work remotely as a freelancers/contractor.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1719 Recommends(s)
622 Recognized(s)

Postby Smitty1219 » 15 Apr 2012, 12:14

creztor wrote:You've got a snowball's chance in hell of finding a computer related job. It wouldn't be impossible, but why hire the white guy when you can get a local serf to do your work for 18k a month, 12 hours a day? You'd be much better off to work overseas and then get posted to Taiwan if you wanted to work in some IT/computer related job.

Yea, I've had people tell me that, but if I already get the working permit then it wouldn't cost them extra to hire me right? Or do working permits not follow you if you switch jobs?

EDIT:
headhonchoII wrote:Just work remotely as a freelancers/contractor.

That would probably be the best solution. The issue is that market is really flooded at the moment. :neutral:
Smitty1219

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby creztor » 15 Apr 2012, 13:35

You'd work for 25k a month doing 10 hours a day? I am also pretty sure that there is a law that sets the minimum pay for certain fields for foreign workers. It is something like 40k+ a month. I would just use HH's advice above and work online/for yourself.
Lost in Kaohsiung :D
creztor

89 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

Postby Smitty1219 » 15 Apr 2012, 14:14

creztor wrote:You'd work for 25k a month doing 10 hours a day? I am also pretty sure that there is a law that sets the minimum pay for certain fields for foreign workers. It is something like 40k+ a month. I would just use HH's advice above and work online/for yourself.

Point taken. :lol:
Thanks for the advice.
Smitty1219

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby PigBloodCake » 15 Apr 2012, 22:30

Like what the posters said: you'll earn crappy pay.

How bad is it? Software IT pay in the 'wan is getting close to the pay in India.

Now how f***ed up is that? :loco:
Life is a bitch and death is her sister.

I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
PigBloodCake
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

9 Recommends(s)
27 Recognized(s)

Postby Brendon » 16 Apr 2012, 01:56

I'd be a bit less pessimistic. Lately there's an uptick in tech startups here, with more VC money around and good (small) companies looking for good engineers and paying them reasonably.

And even my first full-time programming job here in like 2004, when I was really a pretty crap developer, paid ~75k and had sensible hours.

The local guys earning 20 or 30k a month are earning that because it's what they're worth, frankly.

Go to tech and entrepreneurial meetups, have some side projects of your own and some portfolio work, and work hard at developing a serious specialty, and I think there's a reasonable chance of getting worthwhile work.
Brendon
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

7 Recommends(s)
24 Recognized(s)

Postby Smitty1219 » 16 Apr 2012, 03:58

Brendon wrote:I'd be a bit less pessimistic. Lately there's an uptick in tech startups here, with more VC money around and good (small) companies looking for good engineers and paying them reasonably.

And even my first full-time programming job here in like 2004, when I was really a pretty crap developer, paid ~75k and had sensible hours.

The local guys earning 20 or 30k a month are earning that because it's what they're worth, frankly.

Go to tech and entrepreneurial meetups, have some side projects of your own and some portfolio work, and work hard at developing a serious specialty, and I think there's a reasonable chance of getting worthwhile work.

Yea I've heard stories from friends that have to work with teams from India and the like, although I'm not trying to bash anyone it seems a lot of the lowered paid workers are kind of copy-paste code monkeys.
Anyway I'm not claiming to be an expert, but I think the most important thing is being able to learn quickly while working on a project you're not familiar with.

Actually working for a smaller company is what I would prefer because it allows for better teamwork, and more flexibility while developing projects.
Where do those companies usually post job offers? I'm guessing I'd just have to Google around or physically go there, but if you have any tips let me know. :D
Smitty1219

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby PigBloodCake » 16 Apr 2012, 11:12

Smitty1219 wrote:Anyway I'm not claiming to be an expert, but I think the most important thing is being able to learn quickly while working on a project you're not familiar with.

That's important wherever you work.

Actually working for a smaller company is what I would prefer because it allows for better teamwork,

Not likely in the 'wan.

and more flexibility while developing projects.

Again, not likely in the 'wan.

Where do those companies usually post job offers?

Usually through headhunters as 104.com.tw are used by companies that are too cheap to use headhunters.

I'm guessing I'd just have to Google around or physically go there, but if you have any tips let me know. :D

Hind---->Taiwan. Capisce? :wink:
Life is a bitch and death is her sister.

I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
PigBloodCake

9 Recommends(s)
27 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Working in Taiwan