Law Change in Working Permit!

Moderator: John

Postby Happy Face » 25 Apr 2012, 08:13

Allright, so I was in class and my teacher told us that law in Taiwan has changed. He said now foreigners can apply for a working permit as individuals and that we could get it for one year without questions of where we are going to work and apply to any company like that. He said also that afterwards we have to apply the normal way if the company still want to keep us after a year. Now does anybody heard something similar or knows something about it? or I have being tricked here??
'Cause is a long way to the top....If you wanna rock and roll !
Forumosan avatar
Happy Face
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Law Change in Working Permit!

Postby finley » 25 Apr 2012, 08:24

What he may have been referring to is the law that allows a foreigner to set up a company here (with fairly modest requirements for capital etc) and apply for his own ARC.

AFAIK there is no open work permit such as you describe. I just renewed mine last month and it was the standard procedure. Certainly nothing was mentioned about changes to the law.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

854 Recommends(s)
657 Recognized(s)

Postby Feiren » 25 Apr 2012, 09:47

No, your teacher is wrong or you misunderstood.

The government is studying a proposal to relax the two year experience rule to get a work permit and also to reduce the minimum salary of c. NT$48K. The Ministry of Labor Affairs opposes this proposal. It sounds like a compromise might be reached whereby foreign students who graduate from Taiwanese university with a BA may be exempt from the 2 year requirement. I'm not sure about the salary requirement.

Once the government thrashes this out, it will draft a bill and the Legislature may change it before it enacts it into law. Then it will take many more months for them to issue the regulations to implement these changes.

So the law may change in a couple of years for some foreigners. Maybe.
Feiren
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

4 Recommends(s)
204 Recognized(s)

Postby *monkey* » 25 Apr 2012, 10:14

I think the teacher is referring to the working holiday visa, which actually does offer an open work permit for one year.
Floggings will continue until morale improves

Monkey's portmanteau of the day: Scootard
Forumosan avatar
*monkey*
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

4 Recommends(s)
62 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 25 Apr 2012, 10:18

What Feiren said. There will be changes in interships, giving students more advantages and flexibility, but that is way down the line. She might have read about it and thought it was a given, but it is still under discussion.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

710 Recommends(s)
564 Recognized(s)

Postby Militarygamer » 03 May 2012, 17:47

No he is not misinformed, according to the Ministry of Education, the 2 year restriction and salery restriction will soon be lifted, fastest by June or July this year. This is good news for me, I have read from the newspaper China Times.
Militarygamer
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

1 Recommends(s)

Postby Militarygamer » 03 May 2012, 17:51

大名校生 來台工作不再受限
《聯合報》記者陳幸萱/聯合新聞網提供 (2012.05.01 09:47)
勞委會主委王如玄日前接受媒體專訪時表示,將放寬外籍僑生留在台灣工作的限制,未來不再需要有兩年工作經驗,薪資也會從現在四萬七千多元的規定,放寬至接近一般大學畢業生的標準。另外,若是「世界百大」名校畢業生想來台工作,不受任何限制。

勞委會表示,本案將在五月九日的「跨國勞動力諮詢政策小組」中討論,若獲共識,就著手修改規定,最快六至七月上路。

日前新加坡副總理尚達曼在一場演講中指出,台灣人才流失但又阻止外來人才進入,新加坡需以「台灣故事」為鑑。這番談話在台灣社會引起震撼,紛紛要求政府正視人才問題;行政院長陳冲日前也指示應人才鬆綁。

依現行規定,外國白領勞工若至台灣從事專業工作,大學畢業生需有兩年工作經驗,且月薪須達四萬七千九百七十一元。即使外籍僑生在台灣念大學,畢業後仍受此限。勞委會表示,將取消兩年工作經驗的限制,薪資規定也將放寬至一般大學畢業生的標準,但具體金額仍待討論。

另外,世界前一百大名校大學畢業生,則可不受限制,至於何謂世界百大,勞委會指出,將以三個百大評等系統為標準,即英國泰晤士報、國際高等教育研究機構(QS)及上海交大。

王如玄在專訪中提到,之前限制外籍人才要有兩年工作經驗,是因為大學畢業生入社會後需要一段培訓過程,但優秀人才在外工作兩年後早就被挖走了,我國規定可能過時。不過,「台灣沒有足夠的工作機會和薪資條件」,也許才是人才危機的根本。

來源=台灣《聯合晚報》| 更多精彩內容,詳見《聯合新聞網》
Militarygamer
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

1 Recommends(s)

Postby Feiren » 03 May 2012, 18:38

They are still talking about it, but it is looking like there will be some changes.

At first they were talking about lifting the two year rule for everyone. Now it is only for students who studied in Taiwan and graduates of the world's top 100 universities (however that will be determined).

It still sounds to me like that CLA is reluctant to do this but is under pressure from more powerful; departments. Don't be surprised if this is watered down further.

Still, it's a step in the right direction. Singapore has finally contributed something to Taiwan. And we thought they were only good at cupping China's LP!
Feiren

4 Recommends(s)
204 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 04 May 2012, 09:16

Problem is that there is talk also of reducing the minimum salary. That ain't gonna be good.

And it will take time.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

710 Recommends(s)
564 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 04 May 2012, 09:33

Icon, reducing the minimum salary of 47k is already pretty crap compared to any developed country, it doesn't really make a difference if they reduce it.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1718 Recommends(s)
622 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Working in Taiwan