Teaching Music or Spanish in Taiwan

Moderator: John

Teaching Music or Spanish in Taiwan

Postby Delange » 25 Apr 2012, 16:34

In a few months me (South African) and my boyfriend (Argentinian) will be moving to Taiwan. I am going to teach English and for the most part I seem to understand the requirements, specifically that you can only teach English if it is an official language of the country on your passport, correct? That makes his situation a little bit more complicated.
Would doing a location based TEFL course help him in anyway if Argentina's only language is Spanish?
He is a professional guitar player for the last 12 years and has taught music for 8 years, both in Spanish and English. Is it at all realistic that he could find a job teaching music, giving guitar lessons or teaching Spanish anywhere in Taiwan?
Even if his education is a private music institute and not a university?
Any information would help us tremendously!
Thank you!
Delange
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
 
Posts: 1
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 25 Apr 2012, 15:59

6000

Re: Teaching Music or Spanish in Taiwan

Postby cranky laowai » 25 Apr 2012, 16:57

Delange wrote:you can only teach English if it is an official language of the country on your passport, correct?

Not quite. Rather, you have to have a passport from a country that Taiwan officially considers to be English speaking. But you're OK with a South African passport. You should, however, also have a university degree (in anything). A two-year degree plus a TEFL certificate should also work.

Would doing a location based TEFL course help him in anyway if Argentina's only language is Spanish?

No. Taiwan cares about passports, not training.

Is it at all realistic that he could find a job teaching music, giving guitar lessons or teaching Spanish anywhere in Taiwan?

Probably not legally.
Forumosan avatar
cranky laowai
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
 
Posts: 4691
Joined: 29 Jan 2001, 17:01
Location: Banqiao
35 Recommends(s)
38 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Teaching Music or Spanish in Taiwan

Postby StevenCrook » 25 Apr 2012, 17:15

cranky laowai wrote:
Delange wrote:you can only teach English if it is an official language of the country on your passport, correct?

Not quite. Rather, you have to have a passport from a country that Taiwan officially considers to be English speaking. But you're OK with a South African passport. You should, however, also have a university degree (in anything). A two-year degree plus a TEFL certificate should also work.

Would doing a location based TEFL course help him in anyway if Argentina's only language is Spanish?

No. Taiwan cares about passports, not training.

Is it at all realistic that he could find a job teaching music, giving guitar lessons or teaching Spanish anywhere in Taiwan?

Probably not legally.


Down here in Tainan, I know of two foreigners who've done well teaching music and gotten jobs in proper institutions (a college and a high school). One is from the Philippines, one from the USA. The former is married to an ROC national, which of course helps, but one certainly wasn't when he was hired.
I think this is one of those "you won't know until you try" things. I would advise your boyfriend to bring all and any evidence he has of experience teaching music, in case it helps getting work and sorting out a visa.
My books, available from Amazon.com or directly from me:
TAIWAN: THE BRADT TRAVEL GUIDE (2nd ed coming soon!)
DOS AND DON'TS IN TAIWAN
KEEPING UP WITH THE WAR GOD (1st ed)

Available via Amazon.com:
KEEPING UP WITH THE WAR GOD (2nd ed, Kindle only)
DOS AND DON'TS IN TAIWAN (Kindle edition)
TAIWAN FOR CULTURE VULTURES
StevenCrook
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
 
Posts: 489
Joined: 09 Aug 2005, 08:43
Location: Down South
5 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Teaching Music or Spanish in Taiwan

Postby cranky laowai » 25 Apr 2012, 17:20

StevenCrook wrote:Down here in Tainan, I know of two foreigners who've done well teaching music and gotten jobs in proper institutions (a college and a high school). One is from the Philippines, one from the USA. The former is married to an ROC national, which of course helps, but one certainly wasn't when he was hired.
I think this is one of those "you won't know until you try" things. I would advise your boyfriend to bring all and any evidence he has of experience teaching music, in case it helps getting work and sorting out a visa.

That's good to hear. If foreigners here can find work in the fields they're best at that's good for Taiwan too.
Forumosan avatar
cranky laowai
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
 
Posts: 4691
Joined: 29 Jan 2001, 17:01
Location: Banqiao
35 Recommends(s)
38 Recognized(s)

6000





 
 
 x

Return to Working in Taiwan



Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 1 visitor

Our repugnance to death increases in proportion to our consciousness of having lived in vain -- WILLIAM HAZLITT, On the Love of Life, 1815