Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

No degree: Should I lie?

Moderator: John

No degree: Should I lie?

Postby Rixarena » 27 Apr 2012, 15:36

Hi,
I was at university around 4 years ago where I completed 2 years of a degree in electronic and computer engineering and did a placement at a company in the UK, I did not finish my degree and then started my own company which I have been running for several years but am looking to move on and go to Taiwan. So the question is should I lie and say I completed my degree (and try to fake a certificate if necessary) would it ever come into question if I said I had a degree on my CV, I can more than pass off the competence for it but didn't know what the legal turmoil might be? I am looking to start a distance learning course soon so will have one in 3 years but didn't want this to hold me back.

any suggestions?
Last edited by jimipresley on 28 Apr 2012, 10:22, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Make thread title legible.
Rixarena
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
 
Posts: 6
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 20 May 2011, 06:22



Re: no degree should i lie?

Postby bigduke6 » 27 Apr 2012, 16:53

Plenty have tried with fake degrees, and plenty have been caught. They do actually check that degrees are valid and not fake.
That being said you are asking if it is ok for you to commit fraud.
I doubt many will advise you to commit fraud, but ultimately only you can answer your question.
Jesus Quintana: Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy shit with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your ass and pull the fucking trigger 'til it goes "click."
The Dude: Jesus.
Jesus Quintana: You said it, man. Nobody
fucks with the Jesus.

Mr.Lahey: The shitabyss!
Randy: Mr. Lahey, not another night of the shitabyss, please?!
Mr.Lahey: Ah, fuck it.

If you talk to god, you're religious. If god talks to you, you're psychotic.
Gregory House

I got me a dog and named her Mybitchniggaeater.
2Pac
Forumosan avatar
bigduke6
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
 
Posts: 1885
Joined: 19 May 2011, 11:58
Location: Kaohsiung
72 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)



Re: no degree should i lie?

Postby Confuzius » 27 Apr 2012, 17:23

If anyone says "yes" their post will probably get temped, as we are not allowed to promote illegal activity or some such.

So unless you refresh this page every 30 seconds, depending on the mod, all the answers will be negative
"Knowledge alone is transitory, the outcrop subsequent to 'I desire all things'". - A. O. Spare
Confuzius
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
 
Posts: 1524
Joined: 05 Jun 2011, 08:09
113 Recommends(s)
76 Recognized(s)



Re: no degree should i lie?

Postby jimipresley » 27 Apr 2012, 17:29

Confuzius wrote:If anyone says "yes" their post will probably get temped, as we are not allowed to promote illegal activity or some such.

So unless you refresh this page every 30 seconds, depending on the mod, all the answers will be negative

No, it won't be Temped, it will be removed and a warning issued.

What the OP is asking about constitutes fraud, an illegal activity, and f.com doesn't condone illegal activities.

The reason why this thread still exists is so that the community can weigh in and advise the OP on the pure folly of his/her suggestion. That is not illegal.
You can live here and have a great life and not be the least bit into living the local life. Clowns will try to diss you for it saying you gotta get down with the program, but fuck em, treat this place like a buffet and yous be on a diet. Take what you want and nothing extra, slam those oysters, but leave the bread sticks and dinner rolls behind. - Deuce Dropper

I'm much more of a nasty rotter in real life, especially with vapid or vacuous verbiage from the ill read & intellectually challenged. - TheGingerMan

Don't be a cheap cunt. - Deuce Dropper
Forumosan avatar
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)
 
Posts: 10610
Joined: 06 Dec 2004, 18:23
Location: The Abyss. Awaiting YOUR company.
992 Recommends(s)
374 Recognized(s)



Re: no degree should i lie?

Postby Steviebike » 27 Apr 2012, 17:41

Must resist the urge.

YES it is wrong to lie. Don't do it and as it's been pointed out - illegal.
Just checking but you're a South African Engrish Teachur right? No. I'm a Russian nuclear physicist.
Forumosan avatar
Steviebike
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
 
Posts: 1504
Joined: 12 Oct 2011, 16:26
Location: Taipei
70 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)



Re: no degree should i lie?

Postby Confuzius » 27 Apr 2012, 18:29

jimipresley wrote:
Confuzius wrote:If anyone says "yes" their post will probably get temped, as we are not allowed to promote illegal activity or some such.

So unless you refresh this page every 30 seconds, depending on the mod, all the answers will be negative

No, it won't be Temped, it will be removed and a warning issued.

What the OP is asking about constitutes fraud, an illegal activity, and f.com doesn't condone illegal activities.

The reason why this thread still exists is so that the community can weigh in and advise the OP on the pure folly of his/her suggestion. That is not illegal.


See, even the pornstars try to keep this place clean (sorry, couldn't resist :roflmao: )

But yes, it is bad bad bad to lie, do not do it or you will go to hell :fume:
"Knowledge alone is transitory, the outcrop subsequent to 'I desire all things'". - A. O. Spare
Confuzius
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
 
Posts: 1524
Joined: 05 Jun 2011, 08:09
113 Recommends(s)
76 Recognized(s)



Re: no degree should i lie?

Postby Confuzius » 27 Apr 2012, 18:30

bigduke6 wrote:Plenty have tried with fake degrees, and plenty have been caught. They do actually check that degrees are valid and not fake.
That being said you are asking if it is ok for you to commit fraud.
I doubt many will advise you to commit fraud, but ultimately only you can answer your question.


Is that true? How do they do so?

I doubt they checked mine (which is real btw) its just a really obscure school and I do not think they would have contacted them.
"Knowledge alone is transitory, the outcrop subsequent to 'I desire all things'". - A. O. Spare
Confuzius
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
 
Posts: 1524
Joined: 05 Jun 2011, 08:09
113 Recommends(s)
76 Recognized(s)



Re: no degree should i lie?

Postby Petrichor » 27 Apr 2012, 19:06

Rixarena wrote:Hi,
I was at university around 4 years ago where I completed 2 years of a degree in electronic and computer engineering and did a placement at a company in the UK, I did not finish my degree and then started my own company which I have been running for several years but am looking to move on and go to Taiwan. So the question is should I lie and say I completed my degree (and try to fake a certificate if necessary) would it ever come into question if I said I had a degree on my CV, I can more than pass off the competence for it but didn't know what the legal turmoil might be? I am looking to start a distance learning course soon so will have one in 3 years but didn't want this to hold me back.

any suggestions?


If you've been running a legitimate business for a few years there's nothing to stop you opening a branch of your business here and getting an ARC that way. This is what we've done and have two year ARCs. No need for a degree.
Use what talents you possess: The woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.

http://talesfromthebeautifulisle.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Petrichor
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)
 
Posts: 1435
Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 04:30
Location: Muzha
83 Recommends(s)
85 Recognized(s)



Re: no degree should i lie?

Postby bigduke6 » 27 Apr 2012, 20:59

Confuzius wrote:
bigduke6 wrote:Plenty have tried with fake degrees, and plenty have been caught. They do actually check that degrees are valid and not fake.
That being said you are asking if it is ok for you to commit fraud.
I doubt many will advise you to commit fraud, but ultimately only you can answer your question.


Is that true? How do they do so?

I doubt they checked mine (which is real btw) its just a really obscure school and I do not think they would have contacted them.



My wife has a friend that works for the MOE, who told me all degrees are checked for authenticity. I am not sure of the actual process.
Makes sense otherwise 99% of those teaching would have degrees from some dodgy website. I reluctantly admit that a friend of mine worked for one of these...ahem Universities...
Jesus Quintana: Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy shit with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your ass and pull the fucking trigger 'til it goes "click."
The Dude: Jesus.
Jesus Quintana: You said it, man. Nobody
fucks with the Jesus.

Mr.Lahey: The shitabyss!
Randy: Mr. Lahey, not another night of the shitabyss, please?!
Mr.Lahey: Ah, fuck it.

If you talk to god, you're religious. If god talks to you, you're psychotic.
Gregory House

I got me a dog and named her Mybitchniggaeater.
2Pac
Forumosan avatar
bigduke6
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
 
Posts: 1885
Joined: 19 May 2011, 11:58
Location: Kaohsiung
72 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)



Re: no degree should i lie?

Postby bigduke6 » 27 Apr 2012, 21:01

Petrichor wrote:
Rixarena wrote:Hi,
I was at university around 4 years ago where I completed 2 years of a degree in electronic and computer engineering and did a placement at a company in the UK, I did not finish my degree and then started my own company which I have been running for several years but am looking to move on and go to Taiwan. So the question is should I lie and say I completed my degree (and try to fake a certificate if necessary) would it ever come into question if I said I had a degree on my CV, I can more than pass off the competence for it but didn't know what the legal turmoil might be? I am looking to start a distance learning course soon so will have one in 3 years but didn't want this to hold me back.

any suggestions?


If you've been running a legitimate business for a few years there's nothing to stop you opening a branch of your business here and getting an ARC that way. This is what we've done and have two year ARCs. No need for a degree.


Are there not certain investment requirements?

I think the OP needs to explain his/her reason for wanting to come to TW.
Jesus Quintana: Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy shit with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your ass and pull the fucking trigger 'til it goes "click."
The Dude: Jesus.
Jesus Quintana: You said it, man. Nobody
fucks with the Jesus.

Mr.Lahey: The shitabyss!
Randy: Mr. Lahey, not another night of the shitabyss, please?!
Mr.Lahey: Ah, fuck it.

If you talk to god, you're religious. If god talks to you, you're psychotic.
Gregory House

I got me a dog and named her Mybitchniggaeater.
2Pac
Forumosan avatar
bigduke6
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
 
Posts: 1885
Joined: 19 May 2011, 11:58
Location: Kaohsiung
72 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)



FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next




Proceed to Working in Taiwan



Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 1 visitor

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think -- CHINESE PROVERB