No degree: Should I lie?

Moderator: John

Re: no degree should i lie?

Postby Battery9 » 27 Apr 2012, 21:25

well if Forumosa is so worried about legal things they should remove every ad being posted for 'full time hour' jobs, because that usually means kindy.
Battery9
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

27 Recognized(s)

Postby jimipresley » 27 Apr 2012, 23:09

Battery9 wrote:well if Forumosa is so worried about legal things they should remove every ad being posted for 'full time hour' jobs, because that usually means kindy.

Not strictly true. An ad for "full time" or "kindy" jobs does not legally compromise those with the correct credentials, residence status and/or qualifications.
You can live here and have a great life and not be the least bit into living the local life. Clowns will try to diss you for it saying you gotta get down with the program, but fuck em, treat this place like a buffet and yous be on a diet. Take what you want and nothing extra, slam those oysters, but leave the bread sticks and dinner rolls behind. - Deuce Dropper

I'm much more of a nasty rotter in real life, especially with vapid or vacuous verbiage from the ill read & intellectually challenged. - TheGingerMan

Don't be a cheap cunt. - Deuce Dropper
Forumosan avatar
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1020 Recommends(s)
385 Recognized(s)

Postby Confuzius » 28 Apr 2012, 00:06

jimipresley wrote:
Battery9 wrote:well if Forumosa is so worried about legal things they should remove every ad being posted for 'full time hour' jobs, because that usually means kindy.

Not strictly true. An ad for "full time" or "kindy" jobs does not legally compromise those with the correct credentials, residence status and/or qualifications.

If a kindy job says it "provides arc"...it sure does violate the law.
"Knowledge alone is transitory, the outcrop subsequent to 'I desire all things'". - A. O. Spare
Confuzius
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

113 Recommends(s)
76 Recognized(s)

Postby Petrichor » 28 Apr 2012, 05:54

bigduke6 wrote:
Petrichor wrote:
Rixarena wrote:Hi,
I was at university around 4 years ago where I completed 2 years of a degree in electronic and computer engineering and did a placement at a company in the UK, I did not finish my degree and then started my own company which I have been running for several years but am looking to move on and go to Taiwan. So the question is should I lie and say I completed my degree (and try to fake a certificate if necessary) would it ever come into question if I said I had a degree on my CV, I can more than pass off the competence for it but didn't know what the legal turmoil might be? I am looking to start a distance learning course soon so will have one in 3 years but didn't want this to hold me back.

any suggestions?

If you've been running a legitimate business for a few years there's nothing to stop you opening a branch of your business here and getting an ARC that way. This is what we've done and have two year ARCs. No need for a degree.

Are there not certain investment requirements?

I think the OP needs to explain his/her reason for wanting to come to TW.

It depends on what kind of business you're opening I think (i.e. branch, rep office). We did transfer some company money into a Taiwanese account but not a huge amount as I recall.
Use what talents you possess: The woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.

http://talesfromthebeautifulisle.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Petrichor
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

86 Recommends(s)
90 Recognized(s)

Postby Mother Theresa » 28 Apr 2012, 06:44

Rixarena wrote:Hi,
I was at university around 4 years ago where I completed 2 years of a degree in electronic and computer engineering and did a placement at a company in the UK, I did not finish my degree and then started my own company which I have been running for several years but am looking to move on and go to Taiwan. So the question is should I lie and say I completed my degree (and try to fake a certificate if necessary) would it ever come into question if I said I had a degree on my CV, I can more than pass off the competence for it but didn't know what the legal turmoil might be? I am looking to start a distance learning course soon so will have one in 3 years but didn't want this to hold me back.

any suggestions?

I wouldn't recommend lying either, it's not just illegal, but also unethical, immoral and just plain tacky, but I wonder if it's true that the OP really could fake the competency of an English teacher, assuming that's the type of work he/she is interested in, isn't a certain level of competence required?
"The internet is a monster over which we have no control. We can’t even turn it off." Jeremy Clarkson
Forumosan avatar
Mother Theresa
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

14 Recommends(s)
45 Recognized(s)

Postby Nuit » 28 Apr 2012, 09:36

Mother Theresa wrote:it's not just illegal, but also unethical, immoral and just plain tacky, but I wonder if it's true that the OP really could fake the competency of an English teacher, assuming that's the type of work he/she is interested in, isn't a certain level of competence required?

It's all of those things, but then again we all lie at some point in our lives. I've known people who've lied here (or even been told to lie by local agents) in order to obtain teaching positions. If the post doesn't require any official teaching qualifications, then there's precious little difference between an 'OP with 2 years of a degree course completed' vs 'a graduate' and I can understand the frustration this may cause and the temptation to do something about it.

It's not like he's applying to be a doctor and then removing gall bladders.
It's raining again here. I'm rising up like a beautiful bubble to the surface.

A wicked wind whips up the hill, a handful of hopeful words.
I was what you would call seriously strung out.
Forumosan avatar
Nuit
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

74 Recommends(s)
100 Recognized(s)

Postby ironlady » 28 Apr 2012, 09:56

Just from a practical standpoint, which part of "They check" is not clear?
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Click here to Finally Learn Mandarin!
Squid for Brains Learning Games -- not your nainai's flash cards!
...although his father beat him every day, wishing him to learn the speech of Ts'e, it will be impossible for him [at least using current methods]...-Mencius
Forumosan avatar
ironlady
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
87 Recommends(s)
320 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 0- 0-1987

Postby Nuit » 28 Apr 2012, 10:07

The unwritten part after where it says "They check" but then they don't bother to do so.
It's raining again here. I'm rising up like a beautiful bubble to the surface.

A wicked wind whips up the hill, a handful of hopeful words.
I was what you would call seriously strung out.
Forumosan avatar
Nuit

74 Recommends(s)
100 Recognized(s)

Re: No degree: Should I lie?

Postby Battery9 » 28 Apr 2012, 11:08

My school hasn't been able to apply for work permits for new teachers without sending a degree that has been stamped by a higher authority. Sure , the stamp can be copied or something, but I had a friend who was here for 5 years with a fake degree, then she left for a year, used the same one to get back and they denied it. Asked for it to be verified. So she went back to finish her studies, came to apply with her new REAL degree, and they said no, how could you have applied with a different degree before.
Battery9

27 Recognized(s)

Re: No degree: Should I lie?

Postby cranky laowai » 28 Apr 2012, 11:48

If you're coming here as a backpacker intent upon hanging out for only a few months before moving on, you might be able to get away with lying. (This, however, is much less likely than it was more than a decade ago.) And if you're caught, well, you can leave. It's not like you had anything here or were planning on staying.

But if you are interested in perhaps staying to build a business or even a life here (which happens to a lot of people who initially came for only the short term), then lying will only hurt you in the long run, because it will almost certainly catch up to you eventually. And probably then at best you'll be kicked out of the country and barred from returning for at least a year. That's the sort of thing that plays havoc with that business you were trying to run or that relationship you had or....

You'd be better off following Petrichor's advice. Or get that degree. (Note: Taiwan has restrictions against distance-learning, so you should check on that first.)
Forumosan avatar
cranky laowai
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

37 Recommends(s)
41 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Working in Taiwan