Teach in public school with a Master's

Moderator: John

Teach in public school with a Master's

Postby ShenKeng » 02 May 2012, 16:32

I got offered a job in a public school, but the problem is "I don't have a teaching certificate." 15 years ago, I did!
Unfortunately, things have changed and my certificate is no longer valid because I never renewed it. However,
I told them that I do have a master's in education.

So, can I work in a public school with just a master's. I do have a JFRV.
Can anybody show me a relevant law, Chinese or English? At least I will know if I have a chance.

ShenKeng
ShenKeng
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Re: Teach in public school with a Master's

Postby Confuzius » 02 May 2012, 17:17

from EVERYTHING I have heard, you gotto have the certificate. Both my wife and myself have no certificate, but we each have an MA...so cannot teach in public school.

I don't know if the expiration matters. Try to pass it through and see if they notice (theres always white out) I do not know if the certificate has to be "up to date" or not. That would be really problematic for people who live here for a very long time.
"Knowledge alone is transitory, the outcrop subsequent to 'I desire all things'". - A. O. Spare
Confuzius
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

113 Recommends(s)
76 Recognized(s)

Postby housecat » 02 May 2012, 20:00

Yes, you have to be licensed, and yes it has to be current.
Forumosan avatar
housecat
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

96 Recommends(s)
113 Recognized(s)

Postby deceasedtrainspotter » 02 May 2012, 20:28

You need to be a licensed teacher to "teach" in a public school and it needs to be current, but you don't need to be licensed to work in a public school. A public school can hire you as an administrator i.e. curriculum development if they can show that you have relevant experience. That is, if you are working with the school directly, often people work through agencies which is illegal. So, either you are working through an agency or they are hiring you as admin, why not just ask them?
Never lay down on the tracks.
deceasedtrainspotter
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

2 Recognized(s)

Postby housecat » 03 May 2012, 17:39

Or both. I worked for a public school in Chang Hua through an agency, but was still hired as admin. And I was a teacher and curriculum/materials developer. I still would not have been hired without a current license. They checked. I had to walk them through the process of checking the online database. You may have some more options if you have open work rights, but only in private schools, I believe.
Forumosan avatar
housecat

96 Recommends(s)
113 Recognized(s)

Postby ShenKeng » 03 May 2012, 21:56

There was one official this morning that said the license requirement had been dropped for people who have a Master's of Education.
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to contact him again. From what I gather, this is a recent change in the law.

So, was this official wrong, didn't know, or both? If he was right, I need to find the revelant law.
ShenKeng

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Postby bigduke6 » 03 May 2012, 22:21

This is Taiwan. He could be right and wrong at the exact same time, and still have a logical explanation that even Steven Hawkins would have a tough time understanding.
However the Taiwanese tea lady in the office with a grade 2, would understand the logic perfectly. Go figure.
Jesus Quintana: Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy shit with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your ass and pull the fucking trigger 'til it goes "click."
The Dude: Jesus.
Jesus Quintana: You said it, man. Nobody
fucks with the Jesus.

Mr.Lahey: The shitabyss!
Randy: Mr. Lahey, not another night of the shitabyss, please?!
Mr.Lahey: Ah, fuck it.

If you talk to god, you're religious. If god talks to you, you're psychotic.
Gregory House

I got me a dog and named her Mybitchniggaeater.
2Pac
Forumosan avatar
bigduke6
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

72 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)

Postby touduke » 06 May 2012, 21:47

ShenKeng what kind of teaching license are you talking about? AFAIK a 講師證書 doesn't expire.
Forumosan avatar
touduke
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

67 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby ironlady » 07 May 2012, 01:49

An ROC teaching cert (lecturer, Ass't or Assoc Professor) is not a K-12 teaching credential, just as you can't teach K-12 in the States just because you happen to be a professor somewhere. In the States it doesn't matter how many advanced degrees you have, you still have to do the jump-through-the-hoops teaching credential courses (even if you are qualified to teach said courses).
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Click here to Finally Learn Mandarin!
Squid for Brains Learning Games -- not your nainai's flash cards!
...although his father beat him every day, wishing him to learn the speech of Ts'e, it will be impossible for him [at least using current methods]...-Mencius
Forumosan avatar
ironlady
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
76 Recommends(s)
293 Recognized(s)

Postby ShenKeng » 12 May 2012, 01:35

This is what I've been told. There is nothing in the law that says a JFRV holder cannot work in the school. However, in order to get an ARC through the school, you must have a teacher's certificate.
So, they are restricting people from other countries from coming here by requiring a license. The loophole is for foreigners with a JFRV. This is my current understanding. This could also change as I talk to
more people from their office.
ShenKeng

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Working in Taiwan