getting caught tutoring

Moderator: John

getting caught tutoring

Postby chris1234 » 04 May 2012, 07:58

So, I've heard that it is illegal to work or volunteer for anything where there isn't a work visa. I've seen posts about people getting in trouble for working with a school or modeling agency without a visa. For people who are already in Taiwan, how likely is it that you'd get in trouble (e.g. booted out of the country) for doing private tutoring? I've seen ads on places like tealit. I'm wondering if people put ads in papers or public places (e.g. local churches) too for selling their private tutoring services without being bothered about/ having any trouble. What's your experience on that front?
chris1234
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Re: getting caught tutoring

Postby tomthorne » 04 May 2012, 08:06

They'd have to set up some kind of a sting with an FAP guy pretending to be a student. I've never heard of it happening. There's a couple of posters on here who claim that they'd like to do it, though :D . If you meet a student who smells strongly of cheese - run like the wind!
tomthorne
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

217 Recommends(s)
179 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 04 May 2012, 09:38

I've only just realised that Foreign Affairs Police abbreviates as FAP. That made my day.

Anyway, as tomthorne just said, it would be pretty much impossible to prove that an informal arrangement counts as tutoring without a "sting", and I honestly can't imagine them bothering. OTOH you are guilty until proven innocent in any kind of visa/work-related issue, and you can be kicked out on a moment's notice. There are plenty of horror stories on here. Personally, I wouldn't like to take the risk given the trivial amounts of money involved.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

926 Recommends(s)
688 Recognized(s)

getting caught tutoring

Postby headhonchoII » 04 May 2012, 09:39

Just refuse to sign anything , that's the golden rule. No comprendo, don't sign it.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.

This post was recommended by finley (04 May 2012, 09:41)
Rating: 4%
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1829 Recommends(s)
656 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 04 May 2012, 16:30

There's a fellow who goes by the name of Heidi on these boards. He lives in the alps, smells of cheese and makes his living ratting out other people. It is something he finds honourable, but then, he's Swiss.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby Homey » 04 May 2012, 20:01

The idiotic thing about it is the volunteers being lumped in the with the ones working for a profit. What a stupid thing for a country to do. What harm does it do if someone who is otherwise 100% legal decides to help out people and actually make a positive difference in Taiwan?

Damn criminals who want to help Taiwanese people for free, get the bums out of the country. It's much better if they're out drinking and womanizing. :loco:
Why not???

If you are what you eat, then I guess that makes me "fast, cheap, and easy"!
Forumosan avatar
Homey
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

2 Recommends(s)
17 Recognized(s)

Postby bigduke6 » 04 May 2012, 21:40

sandman wrote:There's a fellow who goes by the name of Heidi on these boards. He lives in the alps, smells of cheese and makes his living ratting out other people. It is something he finds honourable, but then, he's Swiss.

Apparently his family have been there for 40 years, but they cannot get citizenship. I believe his previous position involved reporting St Bernards with mange and illegal yodellers.
Jesus Quintana: Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy shit with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your ass and pull the fucking trigger 'til it goes "click."
The Dude: Jesus.
Jesus Quintana: You said it, man. Nobody
fucks with the Jesus.

Mr.Lahey: The shitabyss!
Randy: Mr. Lahey, not another night of the shitabyss, please?!
Mr.Lahey: Ah, fuck it.

If you talk to god, you're religious. If god talks to you, you're psychotic.
Gregory House

I got me a dog and named her Mybitchniggaeater.
2Pac
Forumosan avatar
bigduke6
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

72 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 04 May 2012, 21:45

Homey wrote:It's much better if they're are out drinking and womanizing. :loco:

Quite so. Do you realise how much cash Apple Daily can make selling stories about bignoses and the depraved things they do to innocent Taiwanese girls?

Who gives a shit about helping people when there are corporate taxes to collect?
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley

926 Recommends(s)
688 Recognized(s)

Postby WelcomeAndy » 19 Jun 2012, 14:58

I just came back from the US. I am glad to read your concerns. Well.. immigration sucks everywhere in the world !
WelcomeAndy
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

In Taiwan since: 30 Oct 2011

Postby Belgian Pie » 19 Jun 2012, 15:42

Homey wrote:The idiotic thing about it is the volunteers being lumped in the with the ones working for a profit. What a stupid thing for a country to do. What harm does it do if someone who is otherwise 100% legal decides to help out people and actually make a positive difference in Taiwan?

Damn criminals who want to help Taiwanese people for free, get the bums out of the country. It's much better if they're out drinking and womanizing. :loco:

You can apply for it with the CLA ... I think :ponder:
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

2 Recommends(s)
90 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Working in Taiwan