Has anyone ever worked in a "local job"?

Moderator: John

Has anyone ever worked in a "local job"?

Postby Milkybar_Kid » 21 May 2012, 12:36

I have been thinking more and more about packing in teaching English amd geting a local job. I have open work rights so I can do anything that a boss wouLd be willing to hire me for. My local mcdonalds has a sign out the front that they are hiring people.

Has anyone ever done this? I have enough savings in the bank to cover a years living expenses so even if I only got mimimum wage it wouldnt matter to me.

I want to get an emersion experience and the chance to use and improve my Chinese. I want to be like the thousands of Taiwanese backpackers I met in Australia who were holding down jobs and living their lives in English whilst all the time improving. Why cant we do that here?

I recently passed the Tocfl level 3 so my Chinese isn't great but I can get by. The only issue I imagine I would encounter is that I cant write chinese by hand but I can read and type on a computer.

Any thoughts?
Milkybar_Kid
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

ORIGINAL POSTER
57 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Re: Has anyone ever worked in a "local job"?

Postby tomthorne » 21 May 2012, 12:45

A Russian mate of mine worked waiting tables in a restaurant for a couple of years while studying at university here. His Chinese was fantastic. The boss loved him because he was good for business. Novelty value, I guess.
tomthorne
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

217 Recommends(s)
179 Recognized(s)

Postby bigduke6 » 21 May 2012, 12:54

I would not suggest getting a job that requires you to use your savings to supplement your income.

What happens when your savings run out or if there is some kind of emergency.
Jesus Quintana: Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy shit with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your ass and pull the fucking trigger 'til it goes "click."
The Dude: Jesus.
Jesus Quintana: You said it, man. Nobody
fucks with the Jesus.

Mr.Lahey: The shitabyss!
Randy: Mr. Lahey, not another night of the shitabyss, please?!
Mr.Lahey: Ah, fuck it.

If you talk to god, you're religious. If god talks to you, you're psychotic.
Gregory House

I got me a dog and named her Mybitchniggaeater.
2Pac
Forumosan avatar
bigduke6
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

72 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)

Postby Nuit » 21 May 2012, 12:55

There was that South African lass a while back who worked in a binglang booth. What happened to her?
It's raining again here. I'm rising up like a beautiful bubble to the surface.

A wicked wind whips up the hill, a handful of hopeful words.
I was what you would call seriously strung out.
Forumosan avatar
Nuit
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

74 Recommends(s)
100 Recognized(s)

Postby Milkybar_Kid » 21 May 2012, 12:56

I forgot to mention I have seen 2 western people working local jobs but never approached them to ask detailed questions.

Firstly there is a middle aged German guy working at the ikea in Kaohsiung. Secondly in the Hanshin department store restaurant there is a black man who is part of the waitering team.

Thanks for the reply Tom.
Milkybar_Kid

ORIGINAL POSTER
57 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Postby Milkybar_Kid » 21 May 2012, 12:58

bigduke6 wrote:I would not suggest getting a job that requires you to use your savings to supplement your income.

What happens when your savings run out or if there is some kind of emergency.

Good point. My ultimate goal is to go and complete a masters degree using Chinese to complete the course (chinese instruction not English instruction) so i also need to save for that.
Milkybar_Kid

ORIGINAL POSTER
57 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Postby archylgp » 21 May 2012, 12:59

I work a pretty normal job: all of my co-workers are Taiwanese and there is very little English going around.

There are several benefits to my job that aren't normal, though; decent salary, a lot of traveling, and generally short working hours.

Like you mentioned, It's a great way to learn a lot of Chinese and integrate into society.

I would look around online and interview until you find the right company. I suggest working in a small company where you cooperate directly with the owner. That way you won't need to worry about middle management.
archylgp
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

150 Recommends(s)
30 Recognized(s)

Postby Feiren » 21 May 2012, 13:08

I think this is a great idea too.

I think you need to work up a Chinese resume and a cover letter that explains right up front what you are doing, why, and that you have APRC or spousal ARC so they can hire you without a work permit--you might want to quote the applicable laws.

The previous poster has good advice--work in a smaller company so that you can work with the boss.
Feiren
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

4 Recommends(s)
204 Recognized(s)

Postby PigBloodCake » 21 May 2012, 14:13

Milkybar_Kid wrote:Has anyone ever done this? I have enough savings in the bank to cover a years living expenses so even if I only got mimimum wage it wouldnt matter to me.

Only a year? I wouldn't do it if I were you. It'll be fun at first but, after a while, you'll be both tired (long hours) and bored of the same crap that's going on and, what's worse, you'll be getting paid peanuts.
Life is a bitch and death is her sister.

I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
PigBloodCake
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

9 Recommends(s)
27 Recognized(s)

Postby Militarygamer » 21 May 2012, 20:13

I have for 3 weeks only, paid and dismissed because they cannot proceed my working visa.
Militarygamer
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

1 Recommends(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Working in Taiwan