Worse than Hong Kong

Moderator: John

Re: Worse than Hong Kong

Postby achdizzy1099 » 21 May 2012, 23:12

The distillate of this Human Resources issue lies deep down at the bottom of the flask that is Taiwan: This island is brilliantly and gently governed by an invasive and foreign regime.

What do I mean?

The ruling party of the Republic of China is the KMT, a failed political party that lost a civil war 63 years ago. They lost the war because their weak leadership and rampant corruption stymied their support at a very inopportune time. The only thing that saved them at first was luck, followed by a convenient allegiance between themselves and the conquerors of the Pacific. The United States was in the business of backing and/or befriend anyone in this region sworn to oppose the communists.

At first the KMT ran Formosa like a prison, but now the same party runs it like a colonialist runs a colony. They set things up to benefit themselves the most while keeping the locals happy enough not to pick up their muskets and tricornes.

To summarize:

The powers that run this island are in no hurry to invite in a whole bunch of egg-head foreigners to muck up a game they have designed to win.
Ever notice that everything is illegal here? Ever tried to start or run a business here. There is nothing about Taiwan that is designed to allow you (or anyone for that matter) to 'climb' out of their social standing. They love money here, but aren't willing to risk the loss of control that comes with having large numbers of smart non-Han people around asking questions.

Ask yourself: Do you think the CCP in Beijing is happy with the way Hong Kong is run? Hong Kong is a thorn in their side that is now starting to fester only 15 years into their 'relationship'.

T
Some people have a big mouth.....

This post was recommended by 5 Forumosans: afterspivak (23 May 2012, 21:53), bumclouds (03 Jun 2012, 19:55), Icon (22 May 2012, 16:46), Pingdong (28 May 2012, 02:36), the bear (22 May 2012, 15:01)
Rating: 29.41%
Forumosan avatar
achdizzy1099
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

5 Recommends(s)
38 Recognized(s)

Postby creztor » 22 May 2012, 14:54

MG,
If the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, then perhaps consider going and checking those places out? This is not a personal attack and god knows I can bitch and moan about Taiwan, but if it isn't working for you, then you may need to reconsider "why" you are still here. If there's no or very few career prospects here for you and you think HK or China might be a better choice, then it would make sense to go and find out. Good luck with whatever you decide on.
Lost in Kaohsiung :D
creztor
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

90 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

Postby PigBloodCake » 22 May 2012, 16:28

achdizzy1099 wrote:To summarize:

The powers that run this island are in no hurry to invite in a whole bunch of egg-head foreigners to muck up a game they have designed to win.
Ever notice that everything is illegal here? Ever tried to start or run a business here. There is nothing about Taiwan that is designed to allow you (or anyone for that matter) to 'climb' out of their social standing. They love money here, but aren't willing to risk the loss of control that comes with having large numbers of smart non-Han people around asking questions.

Status quo at its finest.
Life is a bitch and death is her sister.

I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
PigBloodCake
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

9 Recommends(s)
27 Recognized(s)

Postby PigBloodCake » 22 May 2012, 16:41

MG, I personally think Taiwan is not for you. Honestly, jobs here really reek (and it's not just the smell).

Even for MNCs, Taiwanese and, surprisingly, foreigners working in Taiwan offices are being marginalized by their Western counterparts. Unless you're working at MNC headquarters or a satellite office that contributes quite a lot to the bottom line (i.e. revenue), you're gonna be working with a bunch of folks who are being constantly berated and looked down upon by others working remotely in areas which the MNC upper managements consider to be critical operational facilities (i.e. HQs).

Something for you to chew on from the sage :wink:
Life is a bitch and death is her sister.

I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
PigBloodCake

9 Recommends(s)
27 Recognized(s)

Postby bumclouds » 03 Jun 2012, 20:11

achdizzy1099 wrote:They love money here, but aren't willing to risk the loss of control that comes with having large numbers of smart non-Han people around asking questions.

I really want that not to be true, but deep inside my heart I know it is.

I can't help but feel that in the hearts and minds of most people, despite being polite and respectful to foreigners, would prefer you didn't settle down here.
Your warning level: [3]
Forumosan avatar
bumclouds
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)

88 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 04 Jun 2012, 00:36

I don't think thats the thinking of the majority. Your own assumptions color your view.

its like when you look at someone and they look back, and you assume they are looking at you. But they wouldnt be looking at you, if you didnt look at them .

You assume and therefore in your world its true.

Its not in the eyes of another perhaps.
the driveller - tommy525
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

477 Recommends(s)
316 Recognized(s)

Postby bumclouds » 04 Jun 2012, 00:53

That's a good point.
Your warning level: [3]
Forumosan avatar
bumclouds

88 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 04 Jun 2012, 03:30

Ask the long termers if they feel thus. I think that Twnese dont mind you living on the rock and actually give you better treatment if you are a long termer.

The problem is getting them to 100pct accept that you are one of them. Because frankly you never will be 100pct. YOu will always be the foreigner that is living on Taiwan.

Accept this and get over it. If you are a polar bear and you live with brown bears all your life, you still is gonna be a polar bear. Just deal with it.

It doesnt mean they want to eat you or kill you or kick you out. You is still a polar bear PERIOD. But one thats Taiwan based tho, and that they can accept. IN fact they will defend you too if you are challenged by other polar bears.
the driveller - tommy525
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

477 Recommends(s)
316 Recognized(s)

Postby jimipresley » 04 Jun 2012, 03:46

tommy525 wrote: You is still a polar bear PERIOD.

One shudders to think. :eek:

Anyway, no need to get too stressed out. The OP will pop in again in a while, start a few new threads and disappear for 3 months. C'est la vie.
You can live here and have a great life and not be the least bit into living the local life. Clowns will try to diss you for it saying you gotta get down with the program, but fuck em, treat this place like a buffet and yous be on a diet. Take what you want and nothing extra, slam those oysters, but leave the bread sticks and dinner rolls behind. - Deuce Dropper

I'm much more of a nasty rotter in real life, especially with vapid or vacuous verbiage from the ill read & intellectually challenged. - TheGingerMan

Don't be a cheap cunt. - Deuce Dropper
Forumosan avatar
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

887 Recommends(s)
326 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 04 Jun 2012, 10:32

The business environment couldn't be better, maybe its different for foreigners without open work right, but for everyone else it doesn't take much to start a business whereas in many Western countries you would need to comply with many often unnecessary laws that you would need a lot more than what it would take to start the business itself (you know a place for the business, and equipments needed). In Taiwan its much easier, although sometimes the market isn't right...

As for discrimination against foreigners, if you're white they welcome you and generally don't mind you, in the West an Asian could face hate crimes.
Taiwan Luthiers
KTV Is My Life (jiùshì ài chàng KTV)
KTV Is My Life (jiùshì ài chàng KTV)

1 Recommends(s)
74 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

x

Return to Working in Taiwan