Arc and a weekend break to Japan

Moderator: John

Arc and a weekend break to Japan

Postby lostfool » 07 Jun 2012, 19:16

I want to visit a old university friend of mine who is teaching in Japan, unfortunately my workplace has that joyfull "Taiwanese work ethic" Where I get no time off, even unpaid, till Chinese new year. So to counter this I'm going to take a Friday afternoon and a Monday as "personal days". I want to tell them, because I know they will ask, that my brother who I haven't seen in 5 years is travelling to Australia and is stopping off in Taipei for 4 days. This would be ok.

However I doubt taking two days off work to jet off to Japan would be acceptable, my question is this:
Does the immigration authorities automatically inform the school if you leave the country, even if its just Friday to Monday therefore destroying my brother in Taipei lie and putting me in a difficult situation. Or does the school have to enquire?

I could probably say my brothers in Japan but this would still be frowned on and I'd rather just get a sub for two days without all the drama and the "I haven't had a sick day in 20 years" types bitching about me
lostfool
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Re: Arc and a weekend break to Japan

Postby urodacus » 07 Jun 2012, 19:53

I called in sick to work for three days from Osaka once, so go for it.
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!

Too many people! Almost all of the world's problems are due to overpopulation. The rest are due to religion.

50% of the world's wild animals have disappeared in the last 50 years. Did you eat them, or eat their house?
Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

208 Recommends(s)
266 Recognized(s)

Postby Belgian Pie » 07 Jun 2012, 19:53

Why would immigration inform your school that you are off to Japan?
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

2 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby CraigTPE » 09 Jun 2012, 06:36

Belgian Pie wrote:Why would immigration inform your school that you are off to Japan?

I also doubt that immigration is going to inform your school. No reason to.

But does your employment agreement provide for "personal days"? If I recall, "unexcused absence" from work could result in canceling the contract and therefore the ARC. Unless they are really vindictive, I can't imagine them doing it, but just wondering.
Dream! Explore! Discover!
Forumosan avatar
CraigTPE
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

91 Recommends(s)
34 Recognized(s)

Postby Eiger Lloyd » 11 Jun 2012, 14:29

According to Art. 7 of the Regulations of Leave-Taking of Workers, you are entitled to unpaid personal leave of 14 days a year. Your employers can't contract out of the minimum standards provided for under the Labor Standards Act. Your employers can cancel your ARC if you are gone for three days without a good reason, but taking personal leave without pay that you are entitled to by law is a different story.
Eiger Lloyd
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby the bear » 11 Jun 2012, 15:15

Eiger Lloyd wrote:According to Art. 7 of the Regulations of Leave-Taking of Workers, you are entitled to unpaid personal leave of 14 days a year. Your employers can't contract out of the minimum standards provided for under the Labor Standards Act. Your employers can cancel your ARC if you are gone for three days without a good reason, but taking personal leave without pay that you are entitled to by law is a different story.

This is worth re-stating because I've had this problem before. You are entitled to unpaid personal leave. You don't have to justify it and no one has the right to challenge it. If challenged just say its a personal matter and you'd rather not discuss it. This can be more of an issue where you are in your first year and don't qualify for annual leave.
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
Forumosan avatar
the bear
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

29 Recommends(s)
106 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Working in Taiwan