Working from home/ online whilst living in Taiwan

Moderator: John

Re: Working from home/ online whilst living in Taiwan

Postby Icon » 02 Jul 2012, 18:01

steelersman wrote:Actually, I am trying to become a coordinator for foreign exchange students in the US. Hopefully I will get hired!

I used to do that in the ol country. I got to travel abroad with the students, hang out, make sure everything was as advertised. Fun and responsibility, but as we worke dwith a reputable institute, also very rewarding.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

596 Recommends(s)
470 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan_Student » 02 Jul 2012, 21:58

steelersman wrote:
Taiwan_Student wrote:How about teaching English via the internet from home? Do these companies that provide online learning to the Taiwanese market still shun teachers who want to work from within Taiwan. I have an open permit so.. employing people like me would not involve any more paperwork? I'm only interested in picking up part time income.

You can try Kojen Online. However I believe Korean companies pay more to teach online.

I've seen quite a few opportunities for teaching English via the web. It seems they want to pay you via your paypal account. If one were to get a job through one of these places would it be considered tax free? Would the companies ask you for any tax documentation? If not guess it's just a gift. PS.. which paypal should one use. the one based in Taiwan or the US one..
Taiwan_Student
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

22 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

Postby tsukinodeynatsu » 03 Jul 2012, 02:12

Taiwan_Student wrote:
steelersman wrote:
Taiwan_Student wrote:How about teaching English via the internet from home? Do these companies that provide online learning to the Taiwanese market still shun teachers who want to work from within Taiwan. I have an open permit so.. employing people like me would not involve any more paperwork? I'm only interested in picking up part time income.

You can try Kojen Online. However I believe Korean companies pay more to teach online.

I've seen quite a few opportunities for teaching English via the web. It seems they want to pay you via your paypal account. If one were to get a job through one of these places would it be considered tax free? Would the companies ask you for any tax documentation? If not guess it's just a gift. PS.. which paypal should one use. the one based in Taiwan or the US one..

You can only link it to an account in the country it's registered, so Taiwan if you want the money here.
tsukinodeynatsu
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

57 Recommends(s)
65 Recognized(s)

Postby Gilgamesh » 03 Jul 2012, 16:08

tsukinodeynatsu wrote:
Taiwan_Student wrote:

You can only link it to an account in the country it's registered, so Taiwan if you want the money here.

Paypal also charges around 4 per cent above the regular currency exchange which is my main problem with paypal. That can add up to a fair amount of money in fees pretty quickly when you try to bring money that was paid in U.S. dollars into Taiwan using Paypal.

How do other people who are working online get access to their money?
Gilgamesh
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

3 Recognized(s)

Postby steelersman » 03 Jul 2012, 16:13

Gilgamesh wrote:
tsukinodeynatsu wrote:
Taiwan_Student wrote:

Paypal also charges around 4 per cent above the regular currency exchange which is my main problem with paypal. That can add up to a fair amount of money in fees pretty quickly when you try to bring money that was paid in U.S. dollars into Taiwan using Paypal.

I use a bank account in my home country. However then you have to pay every time you withdraw internationally. I was told that Charles Swaab offers ATM cards with no international transaction fees. I don't know if that setup is available in Canada as well. You could check to see if any banks in Canada allow free withdraws from Taiwan. For Americans there are options to withdraw money from Taiwan without fees.
steelersman
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

9 Recommends(s)
23 Recognized(s)

Postby tsukinodeynatsu » 24 Jul 2012, 22:09

Gilgamesh wrote:
tsukinodeynatsu wrote:
Taiwan_Student wrote:

I only take bank transfers for exactly that reason.

I usually get them directly into my husband's TW bank account, but I do have an account in the UK and Australia as well, though I haven't had to use them yet.

Paypal is a HUGE rip-off. On top of the massive fees, they also occasionally freeze a payment for no apparent reason, which is rather annoying when you're waiting on that money to pay your bills.
tsukinodeynatsu

57 Recommends(s)
65 Recognized(s)

Postby StevenCrook » 02 Aug 2012, 08:39

If you're married with kids, before working from home you might want to consider how well your family members can fit in with your plans. My wife teaches English in the late afternoon and evening, so if she wants us to do something (i.e. a trip to the hardware store), she has to do it late morning or early afternoon - right when I'm trying to work. If I worked outside in a company, I don't think she'd call me up between 9am and 5pm and say we need to go and do X or Y right now... this is why some people give up working from home and rent an office somewhere so they won't be disturbed. That said, most of these interruptions are necessary (and I'd rather do these things midweek and have more free time on Sunday) and often they're welcome because I'm sick of staring at a computer screen. Working at home works for me because I do most of my work between 6am and 10am. If you need to be attending to business between 9am and 5pm but have a wife/child who wants/needs attention during that time, you may want to get an office outsdie.
My books, available from Amazon.com or directly from me:
TAIWAN: THE BRADT TRAVEL GUIDE (2nd ed coming soon!)
DOS AND DON'TS IN TAIWAN
KEEPING UP WITH THE WAR GOD (1st ed)

Available via Amazon.com:
KEEPING UP WITH THE WAR GOD (2nd ed, Kindle only)
DOS AND DON'TS IN TAIWAN (Kindle edition)
TAIWAN FOR CULTURE VULTURES
StevenCrook

5 Recognized(s)

Postby Grizlak » 19 Aug 2012, 16:52

Hey there.. a couple of people have mentioned that you can basically work from home and do any online business and that's very true. It depends on what you are looking for. If you enjoy blogging or are keen to learn, then there are companies that allow you to do this while making money. Then you can focus on what you actually want to do with your time, like travel, explore etc.

Personally, I've been teaching here for about 10 years. Mainly for schools but now my classes are mostly private lessons. I will still keep most of them, but I've moved on from teaching to make a living. I wanted something that would allow me to work anywhere in the world and do whatever I wanted to do. Working online to make money is not for everyone, but it sure is cheap and easy.

Now I blog and the networking company does the rest. It's that simple.

I am almost a permanent resident here so that makes living here and working online easy for me, but it could also be a part-time job, which literally requires only about an hour a day. There's a link in the signature if anyone is interested. I'd be happy to explain further if you like, but it's all explained for me on that link.

Good luck with your goal of working from home/online!
My personal blog (and the road to freedom): http://www.empowernetwork.com/almostase ... nickkupsch
Grizlak
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby hbldom » 22 Nov 2012, 13:15

I work online a lot while not teaching. It is a good way to use those hours in the mornings when you don't have classes yet but can't exactly go out and do anything. I wouldn't say you really need web skills to get into it, If you know how to write a post on this thread or email your mom to say you are fine in Taiwan, you can handle writing a website.

There are some decent resources out there that I used before to learn the ropes and build my first sites, so if it was something you were seriously considering you could do it.

this one is free for people to join up and learn about online business. They basically have a training program and some free hosting. Obviously they want people to join up for the premium service which is how they make their money, but you could learn the basics and get 2 websites with them for free.

p.s. I went on to subscribe to premium for them and love it, so I am biased, but it isn't going to cost you anything to investigate.
Why have an online business in Taiwan: https://my.wealthyaffiliate.com/domw/bl ... e-business

How to learn internet marketing for free: https://my.wealthyaffiliate.com/domw/bl ... g-for-free
hbldom

Postby bananas » 03 Dec 2012, 14:30

If you're interested in remote work, you might be a good fit for a new project I'm working on. Our company, Expat Workforce, is designed to connect western businesses with native English-speaking expats for remote jobs like writing, web marketing, and phone-based work.

We just relaunched this week so there aren't many job listings yet (we're working on it), but fill out your expat profile and tell us what kind of work you're interested in and you'll get email updates when new jobs are posted.

http://expatworkforce.com
bananas

PreviousNext

Return to Working in Taiwan