Working from home/ online whilst living in Taiwan

Moderator: John

Working from home/ online whilst living in Taiwan

Postby headhonchoII » 02 Jul 2012, 12:21

Teleworking allows one to escape the tyranny of working for local employers, and the pay is often better too!

Ultimately teleworking will benefit many decent teachers and other professionals here who can figure it out, you can then pick and choose and not be forced to take the measly crumbs from Taiwan, you just have to figure out how to live here legally. But you probably have to put a fair amount of time at a regular gig to build up some experience. A mix of both teleworking and real world is the ideal in my opinion.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1573 Recommends(s)
573 Recognized(s)

Re: Working from home/ online whilst living in Taiwan

Postby Omniloquacious » 02 Jul 2012, 12:56

I've been working from home for 6 or 7 years. I worked in a government office for 14 years before I quit and then continued to do exactly the same work (mostly translation) under an outsourcing contract. It suits me very well, and I think it is quite advantageous for the people I work for.
If I prioritized the acquisition of wealth above other purposes in life, I might still have come to Taiwan to study Chinese, but I doubt I would have remained here.
寸金難買寸光陰
Forumosan avatar
Omniloquacious
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

67 Recommends(s)
191 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 02 Jul 2012, 14:51

steelersman wrote:I work online and am in Taiwan for the month. Back to the US in July.

wait, is this the same steerman who couldnt wait to get going off the rock, and went to cuba or dom rep or something or some other central American place and then to the usa?

What u doing back on the rock man? Just askin :)
Savage - what a nice performance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMCMjEb68ds
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

581 Recommends(s)
367 Recognized(s)

Postby steelersman » 02 Jul 2012, 14:54

tommy525 wrote:
steelersman wrote:I work online and am in Taiwan for the month. Back to the US in July.

wait, is this the same steerman who couldnt wait to get going off the rock, and went to cuba or dom rep or something or some other central American place and then to the usa?

Enjoying my life. All I can say is that Taiwan is a lot better place when you don't work for a Taiwanese employer.
steelersman
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

10 Recommends(s)
24 Recognized(s)

Postby steelersman » 02 Jul 2012, 15:02

tommy525 wrote:

My real problem with living in Taiwan is teaching English as opposed to Taiwan itself.
steelersman

10 Recommends(s)
24 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 02 Jul 2012, 15:08

steelersman wrote:
tommy525 wrote:

My real problem with living in Taiwan is teaching English as opposed to Taiwan itself.

:) yes on both counts. Even Taiwanese absolutely HATE working for other Taiwanese. They are very tyranical. With some exceptions.

And yes engrish teaching can wear down the soul.

and TAiwan is a whole new world when you are not working for Taiwanese or as an engrish teacher.

while there i only worked for a taiwanese company once. And once was enough.

Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

581 Recommends(s)
367 Recognized(s)

Postby steelersman » 02 Jul 2012, 15:14

Actually, I am trying to become a coordinator for foreign exchange students in the US. Hopefully I will get hired!
steelersman

10 Recommends(s)
24 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 02 Jul 2012, 15:16

IN Taiwan? Well thats nice. If u get a good job your outlook on the rock will be vastly different.

Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

581 Recommends(s)
367 Recognized(s)

Postby steelersman » 02 Jul 2012, 15:22

tommy525 wrote:IN Taiwan? Well thats nice. If u get a good job your outlook on the rock will be vastly different.

No, in the US. I do search engine optimization right now and work online.
steelersman

10 Recommends(s)
24 Recognized(s)

Postby brewnix » 02 Jul 2012, 17:09

I do web development work from home (receive contracts from my company in Australia). I'm one of the lucky ones to stumble upon such work. I was leaving my company in Australia to come to Taiwan as a personal decision to pursue my Chinese studies, when a client of my company at that time heard of this and offered me contract work that I could do while studying here. Contacts and experience were therefore crucial; and something you'll need to consider. The hourly rate is good, but the contracts can be few and far between.

I could pick up more work through other agencies I suppose, but instead I teach English part-time on the side to ensure stability of income during the down times. Unlike many other people on the forum here, I have grown to actually enjoy teaching, and enjoy the dual occupation lifestyle.

I'm also married and have a JFRV, which takes care of legal residency and working rights; but you might need to look into how you'd live here legally if you go down the working from home path.
brewnix
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Working in Taiwan