Taiwan OSHA?

Moderator: John

Taiwan OSHA?

Postby formosaobama » 13 Jun 2012, 16:01

Does Taiwan have an Occupational Safety and Health Administration?

I ask because the building I work in has multiple health hazards, especially from the ventilation system. I walk into a roomful of stale mildew every morning because they turn off the A/C after 6 and let the mold fester overnight. When I turn off the A/C myself when it gets too cold, it blows in funky air from god knows where. Sometimes it's the stench of rotting fruit, other times it's like they're venting a lavatory into my office. Once in a while I get a break and I don't smell any odors, but I usually feel something irritating the back of my throat soon after walking in. It feels like the only time I'm not constantly clearing my throat is when I'm outside the building.

I've tried to bring this to the maintenance people but it's like I'm talking Greek to them. Typical "mei ban fa" attitude. If this is how most office buildings are maintained, I can see why there are so many ear, nose and throat clinics here.

Since I can't get them to care about my health, perhaps I can get them to care about being fined. Is there a government organization like OSHA that I can get to come in and test the air?

I have no faith in the in-house safety checks they do. For instance, they have these RO water purifiers that are supposed to be inspected at regular intervals. Once I was in on a Saturday and saw a maintenance worker casually walk up to the one I had been getting water from, pull out the inspection card, quickly stamp it, put it back, and stroll off.
Forumosan avatar
formosaobama
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

ORIGINAL POSTER
5 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

Re: Taiwan OSHA?

Postby cranky laowai » 13 Jun 2012, 16:29

The Council of Labor Affairs has a safety office. But they probably focus on blue-collar matters.

You might have more luck getting a response from the Taipei City Government (call 1999), if you happen to be in the city.
Forumosan avatar
cranky laowai
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

37 Recommends(s)
41 Recognized(s)

Re: Taiwan OSHA?

Postby bumclouds » 30 Jun 2012, 00:52

formosaobama wrote:Once I was in on a Saturday and saw a maintenance worker casually walk up to the one I had been getting water from, pull out the inspection card, quickly stamp it, put it back, and stroll off.

I've never thought about that. Just because the card has been punched / stamped, does not mean it has been inspected!
Your warning level: [4]
Forumosan avatar
bumclouds
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

97 Recommends(s)
77 Recognized(s)

Taiwan OSHA?

Postby headhonchoII » 30 Jun 2012, 13:11

I think the EPA can do something about that.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1545 Recommends(s)
566 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Working in Taiwan