Is Distance Learning covered under (Don't ask, don't tell)?

Moderator: John

Is Distance Learning covered under (Don't ask, don't tell)?

Postby Taiwan_Student » 30 Jun 2012, 21:22

I know that Taiwan doesn't recognize distance learning. Many many reputable schools are adding distance learning to their program. All these schools are in the book of schools that the Taiwan government recognized.

I mentioned the problem to the schools. They said that your degree is a fully accredited degree and there will be no mention on it that it was done via distance learning.

Even if I want to do my masters in person. Due to the fact that I'm based in Taiwan, at least some courses will probably have to be done via the web.
So.. what's the story.
Is a degree a degree under don't ask, don't tell.
Taiwan_Student
I'm posting like Shakespeare (1564~1616)

ORIGINAL POSTER
25 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Re: Is Distance Learning covered under (Don't ask, don't tell)?

Postby Confuzius » 30 Jun 2012, 22:08

Taiwan_Student wrote:I know that Taiwan doesn't recognize distance learning. Many many reputable schools are adding distance learning to their program. All these schools are in the book of schools that the Taiwan government recognized.

I mentioned the problem to the schools. They said that your degree is a fully accredited degree and there will be no mention on it that it was done via distance learning.

Even if I want to do my masters in person. Due to the fact that I'm based in Taiwan, at least some courses will probably have to be done via the web.
So.. what's the story.
Is a degree a degree under don't ask, don't tell.

It depends on where you will be teaching.

@a buxiban (adult or childhood) don't ask don't tell

@a uni they will find out, then youre SOL

@ a public school I would IMAGINE they would find out as well.

But also, you say "at least some courses" will be online, you mean like 1 or 2 out of your entire degree? don't think that'll be a problem. If you will be approaching close to 30-40% though, that's not going to be good...won't your transcript say that the courses were online? Any job that asks for your transcripts will then clearly know you're "not telling what they didn't ask".
"Knowledge alone is transitory, the outcrop subsequent to 'I desire all things'". - A. O. Spare
Confuzius
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

113 Recommends(s)
76 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan_Student » 01 Jul 2012, 14:46

Maybe its time that the Taiwanese Department of Education update their standards to.. 1. allow distance learning degrees from recognized schools or 2. establish clear guidelines as to what percentage of courses and what types of courses can be done via the web.

Most state schools have distance learning. Soon, I could imagine the universities may just add distance course to the standard curriculum.

I don't have access to the book that lists all the accepted US colleges and universities. The nearest copy to me is located on the third floor of Kaohsiung Normal School's library.

When I last checked out that guide years ago, I was suprised at the wide variety of schools. They even included a local Yeshiva, a Jewish Rabbinical College in Lakewood New Jersey.

I believe they also included a school in New Jersey called Thomas Edison State College (http://www.tesc.edu/ ). This college was created in Honor of Thomas Edison to grant degrees for life experience. There are absolutely no classroom hours. If you have access to the this mysterious holy book, please check and see if it is included. If it is.. how could this be?

By the way.. I'd assume the list of accepted schools should be on line by now. Anyone know where?
Taiwan_Student

ORIGINAL POSTER
25 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby Confuzius » 01 Jul 2012, 16:22

Taiwan_Student wrote:Maybe its time that the Taiwanese Department of Education update their standards to.. 1. allow distance learning degrees from recognized schools or 2. establish clear guidelines as to what percentage of courses and what types of courses can be done via the web.

Most state schools have distance learning. Soon, I could imagine the universities may just add distance course to the standard curriculum.

I don't have access to the book that lists all the accepted US colleges and universities. The nearest copy to me is located on the third floor of Kaohsiung Normal School's library.

When I last checked out that guide years ago, I was suprised at the wide variety of schools. They even included a local Yeshiva, a Jewish Rabbinical College in Lakewood New Jersey.

I believe they also included a school in New Jersey called Thomas Edison State College (http://www.tesc.edu/ ). This college was created in Honor of Thomas Edison to grant degrees for life experience. There are absolutely no classroom hours. If you have access to the this mysterious holy book, please check and see if it is included. If it is.. how could this be?

By the way.. I'd assume the list of accepted schools should be on line by now. Anyone know where?

I am pretty sure they accept a degree from any school that has accreditation. Lakewood is accredited.
"Knowledge alone is transitory, the outcrop subsequent to 'I desire all things'". - A. O. Spare
Confuzius

113 Recommends(s)
76 Recognized(s)

Postby trubadour » 01 Jul 2012, 21:38

Another problem with the (don't ask...) policy is, I guess, that you have to (don't tell...) about your recent employment history, emigration record, etc, while you were supposed to be studying full- or part-time or on campus in another country. Could get tricky very early in the application process.
trubadour

114 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan_Student » 02 Jul 2012, 23:37

trubadour wrote:Another problem with the (don't ask...) policy is, I guess, that you have to (don't tell...) about your recent employment history, emigration record, etc, while you were supposed to be studying full- or part-time or on campus in another country. Could get tricky very early in the application process.

Oh yeah.... :p :ponder: The government has great privilege.... they don't accept distance learning yet, they some how mention Thomas Edison State (http://www.tesc.edu/ )College as a recognized school. That is a school that has almost no classrooms and grants credit on life experience.

But then again.. as far as Taiwan is concerned, if you have knowledge enough to get a degree through TEC you are already a very busy and quite successful entrepreneur and could probably have an imposing reputation and could pay any special tax to get the degree accepted.

Taiwan really should upgrade its standards for the real world. Accept professorial certifications, accept on line degrees from accredited colleges for goodness sake and accept that new Canadian three year degree. Let the job market weed the people out... if the training meets real world needs...

Hey... aren't there satellite schools located in Taiwan. Here's a note about the College of NJ from wikipedia.. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_of ... l_programs)

The College of New Jersey offers graduate programs in Education at a number of international locations. Currently students can complete a State of New Jersey Teacher Certification and earn a Master of Education degree while studying in Bangkok, Thailand, Majorca, Spain, or Johannesburg, South Africa.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_of ... l_programs

But, New Jersey or Thailand.. is all the same to me.... I can't spare the time to leave the country.. I must stay in Taiwan..
Taiwan_Student

ORIGINAL POSTER
25 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Working in Taiwan