Slipping Under the Radar: Working while studying?

Moderator: John

Slipping Under the Radar: Working while studying?

Postby melikenaruto » 05 Jul 2012, 20:39

I realize that it's illegal to work as an international student, but for some reason my teacher, a banker and my aunt (both Taiwanese citizens) tell me I could if i wanted to (and find the right people). My Taiwanese friend also told me he'll hook me up when he arrives back from Canada. I've heard that exploiting loopholes in the law is basically a Taiwanese past time :p and I've seen it being successfully done.

I'm an Indonesia Born Chinese, so it'll be easier for me to not get caught I hope, though my Mandarin isn't that good (studying in Tai-Da CLD, 2nd month as of this post). 18 years old, a bit towards the tan side but overall, I'm Chinese looking. I was actually offered to work by a really shady looking Taiwanese, who said I'd be able to help Indonesian maids and such. My aunt who was with me told me that it pays well, but I don't want to go there. Indonesian maids are basically slaves. I'm not a very religious guy but that'll stick to my conscience nevertheless.

The two other options (my aunt suggested this, she doesn't seem to know that the law preventing me from working exists or she thinks no one will check) is teaching English or teaching guitar. English is essentially my first language now, and I've had 3 years of guitar playing, and I'd say I'm good enough to teach it. English is a whole different ball game, but I've taught Indonesians before during my internship. 2 weeks of intensive grammar and pronunciation, all improvised. I honestly do not know what resulted from that, since they rarely ever speak English in Indonesia, but in the class they seemed to learn a lot. I know I won't be a Teacher, but Teacher Assistant? Why not right?

So as a completely hypothetical question, if the situation arises that I don't have enough cash to pay my rent and am too embarrased to ask my dad for it :p would it be possible to slip under the radar? Has anyone ever tried? Do employers generally ignore you completely if you don't have a work permit?

Again, completely hypothetical...
Disguised in all your alibis
Forumosan avatar
melikenaruto
38 Posts? I'm a bimbo, baby!

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Slipping Under the Radar: Working while studying?

Postby mahkie » 06 Jul 2012, 23:31

I work and study at the same time. I stayed on my employment visa to study and have a job teaching english.

Alternatively, you can work while studying on a student visa if your school signs a work auth for you.
mahkie
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

3 Recognized(s)

Postby ironlady » 07 Jul 2012, 00:31

melikenaruto wrote:I realize that it's illegal to work as an international student...

Did you have an actual question?
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Click here to Finally Learn Mandarin!
Squid for Brains Learning Games -- not your nainai's flash cards!
...although his father beat him every day, wishing him to learn the speech of Ts'e, it will be impossible for him [at least using current methods]...-Mencius
Forumosan avatar
ironlady
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
87 Recommends(s)
336 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 0- 0-1987

Postby Mawvellous » 07 Jul 2012, 11:40

ironlady wrote:
melikenaruto wrote:I realize that it's illegal to work as an international student...

Actually, there are legal ways to work as an international student.
Mawvellous
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

2 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

Postby steelersman » 07 Jul 2012, 12:12

Mawvellous wrote:
ironlady wrote:

But I believe you have to study for one year before you can work legally in Taiwan.
steelersman
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

10 Recommends(s)
24 Recognized(s)

Postby ironlady » 08 Jul 2012, 00:31

Mawvellous wrote:
ironlady wrote:

There are. But from what the OP said, he isn't looking for those. He's looking to "slip under the radar". :no-no:
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Click here to Finally Learn Mandarin!
Squid for Brains Learning Games -- not your nainai's flash cards!
...although his father beat him every day, wishing him to learn the speech of Ts'e, it will be impossible for him [at least using current methods]...-Mencius
Forumosan avatar
ironlady
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
87 Recommends(s)
336 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 0- 0-1987

Postby John » 08 Jul 2012, 09:32

Moderator's note

From The Rules

Do not promote illegal activities. Breach of this rule can lead to legal proceedings against this site, and will not be tolerated. In cases where the law has been broken, Forumosa may notify the proper authorities if appropriate.

http://forumosa.com/taiwan/rules.php
Forumosan avatar
John
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

28 Recommends(s)
22 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 08 Nov 1999

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Working in Taiwan