Editing Work - How Much is Normal?

Moderator: John

fair rate for editing?

Postby Jennifer » 16 Feb 2002, 17:40

I'm a stay-at-home-mom with 10+ years experience as an Executive Secretary and have been thinking about offering a resume service, as well as editing, wordprocessing, etc. I might even be willing to work for tips :-) but no promises.

I was inspired by the guy who owns Self Promotion. See his article on tipping

My question: do you think the foreign teachers and other professionals would find this useful (resume prep and tweaking)?

Jennifer
Jennifer

fair rate for editing?

Postby ironlady » 16 Feb 2002, 21:03

I'm not sure that the companies and schools in Taiwan would be that much more impressed with a tweaked resume for foreigners in Taiwan to justify the cost. If you were tweaking Chinese language resumes, there might be some need...? I don't know.

If the school or company were foreign-owned, there might be more payback for having perfect English. Otherwise, most employers won't really know the difference (this is an over-generalization, of course, but I think that's the way many people would think.)
Forumosan avatar
ironlady
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
87 Recommends(s)
332 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 0- 0-1987

fair rate for editing?

Postby Jennifer » 18 Feb 2002, 02:07

Thanks for the reply IronLady.

Something to think about.
Jennifer

$11,000 for an editing job???

Postby sandman » 08 Mar 2002, 06:00

Did you make your rates perfectly clear before you started the work?

If so, there should be no problem, as far as I can see, although 11 hours for 24 pages seems pretty long -- I have around 15 years experience and usually manage around 4 pages per hour if the work is pretty messy.

I also routinely make sure the client gets an email with a written quotation that he or she must approve and return before I'll start the work.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby littlemissflip » 08 Mar 2002, 06:06

It seems long because I did several different revisions of the same 24-page paper. I did the first round in a few hours, submitted it to him, he made revisions and gave it back to me (still with lots of mistakes), I re-edited it, etc. etc. So it was the equivalent of editing maybe 50 pages by the end of the process.

I didn't make rates clear ahead of time, because he gave it to me at the last minute ("I must submit this for publication in two days!") and I had not yet even thought about doing free-lance editing for people.
littlemissflip

Postby littlemissflip » 08 Mar 2002, 06:14

Sorry--I forgot to say thanks for the comments/info! I really appreciate it!
littlemissflip

Postby sandman » 08 Mar 2002, 06:18

I billed a (corporate) client NT$15,000 for a 53-page report just before I replied to your post, and it wasn't a rush job.

I know this doesn't do you much good right now, but it should at least give you some idea of prices and reassure you a little. Whether it will also reassure your client, though...

I urge you in future to get into the habit of demanding written approval of your rates from the customer before you embark on any future projects.

I have a feeling you might have to bite the bullet on this one, drop your price to, say, NT$9,000 as a "goodwill gesture" and just chalk it up to experience.

Good luck.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby littlemissflip » 08 Mar 2002, 06:28

Thanks for your advice--very helpful to me. I will definitely establish a rate ahead of time for future projects. I like your idea of getting a written agreement ahead of time... Gotta run, but thanks!
littlemissflip

Postby sandman » 08 Mar 2002, 06:37

Oh, sh... shh... OOPS, SORRY JEFF! shoot! (can I say shoot?). Just realized I inserted TWO posts in Living in Taiwan without including any profanity. Won't happen again. [img]images/smiles/converted/hip-o-dude.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img]
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby littlemissflip » 08 Mar 2002, 16:52

I, too, am wondering about fair rates for editing, as I've been approached by several researchers wanting me to edit their papers for them. I have a science background and I'm working as an editor for a research journal here in Taipei, but I don't have a clue how to charge people for free-lance work. According to the previous forum discussion on this subject, I gathered that a typical rate was similar to private language teaching (NT$1000/hour, I've heard), or approximately NT$300/page, with double rates for rush jobs. I just completed several rounds of extensive revisions on a 24-page paper as a rush job, taking me a total of about 11 hours. Can I (should I?) seriously charge the guy NT$11,000 for this job?!? That seems like a huge chunk of money, but I don't want to cheat myself either. Will he have a heart attack if I ask for that much money? I'd appreciate whatever advice people may have.
littlemissflip

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Working in Taiwan