Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Want to move to Taiwan, but no idea WTF to do for a living

Moderator: John

Re: Want to move to Taiwan, but no idea WTF to do for a living

Postby TomHill » 21 Feb 2010, 22:37

XinBiDe wrote:She loves Taiwan, and she can't imagine leaving. I feel trapped, as a result. I love Taiwan too, but I would like to have options. I just can't imagine raising a child here in this horrid education system.

Does someone else want to tell our 23yr old lad how his story ends?
Eating fish.
TomHill
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)

Postby XinBiDe » 21 Feb 2010, 22:43

TomHill wrote:
XinBiDe wrote:She loves Taiwan, and she can't imagine leaving. I feel trapped, as a result. I love Taiwan too, but I would like to have options. I just can't imagine raising a child here in this horrid education system.

Does someone else want to tell our 23yr old lad how his story ends?

I'd rather stay with her than leave Taiwan. I'm the one who has made all the concessions for the relationship to work, that's true, but that's so far. She has agreed to move with me to any other country I choose in East or Southeast Asia or anywhere along the West Coast of the US after we finish graduate school. That's more than enough for me.
What I spoke to, when I said I felt trapped, is that right NOW I feel this way because I didn't have the option to work in the US to save money because of her location and inflexibility. To be fair, she graduated a year before me and had already begun her career a few years ago.
XinBiDe
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

Postby TomHill » 21 Feb 2010, 22:54

XinBiDe wrote:I'd rather stay with her than leave Taiwan. I'm the one who has made all the concessions for the relationship to work, that's true, but that's so far. She has agreed to move with me to any other country I choose in East or Southeast Asia or anywhere along the West Coast of the US after we finish graduate school. That's more than enough for me.
What I spoke to, when I said I felt trapped, is that right NOW I feel this way because I didn't have the option to work in the US to save money because of her location and inflexibility. To be fair, she graduated a year before me and had already begun her career a few years ago.

It is not my place to cast aspersions or draw conclusions about your relationship. Just please think about the bits I highlighted, as they have been personal red flags in the past.
Eating fish.
TomHill

Postby XinBiDe » 21 Feb 2010, 23:38

TomHill wrote:
XinBiDe wrote:I'd rather stay with her than leave Taiwan. I'm the one who has made all the concessions for the relationship to work, that's true, but that's so far. She has agreed to move with me to any other country I choose in East or Southeast Asia or anywhere along the West Coast of the US after we finish graduate school. That's more than enough for me.

It is not my place to cast aspersions or draw conclusions about your relationship. Just please think about the bits I highlighted, as they have been personal red flags in the past.

Even if you're right, it's better to let things fall apart on their own than to end the relationship abruptly, offering neither of us closure when we still care about each other. It'd leave her with a lot of questions and I wouldn't feel good about it either. Life is what life is, and it's better to let me make my own mistakes. I'm still young, I can afford to do that.
XinBiDe

Postby BigJohn » 21 Feb 2010, 23:42

Well, if the child has a foreign passport then they can go to an international school, like the Taipei American or European schools. Costs a few bucks, though. I suppose it's worth adding that if the kid starts with an foreign passport they have to give it up to get an ROC one, but the other way around is much less strictly enforced.
BigJohn
I will prosper for a long time (wǒ huì fán róng hěn zhǎng yī duàn shí jiān)

Postby divea » 22 Feb 2010, 00:16

As I do not have a kid, I only have my girlfriend's word to go on for how he/she will be treated when I finally have a child of my own. My girlfriend seems certain that they will face a lot of adversity, and I base a lot of my opinion on her word.

You don't have children of your own and yet based on your GF's opinion you are telling a complete stranger that,

I'm not just warning you, I'm telling you, PLEASE don't move to Taiwan. Taiwan is a country great in small doses, but the children here grow up soulless products of a machine that grinds out spoiled, abused, monsters. Your children will also be subject to intense racism in their early years in Taiwan, as other kids struggle to comprehend why she looks different. She will be called names, she will be treated unfairly by her teachers, she will be hated by her peers.

I am assuming your girlfriend doesn't have any kids of her own either. You can base your opinion on other people's word, but pray do not give advice on it. A lot is lost in translation.
"It is the weak who are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong. "
- Leo Roston
divea
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

Postby lupillus » 22 Feb 2010, 01:29

Think twice about getting a local job. The average monthly salary is NT$42766 (NZ$1912.60).

NT$29,646 (NZ$1325) for average employees, NT$44,018 (NZ$1968) for mid-level managers, and NT$82,552 (NZ$3691) for high-level managers. English teachers probably make about NT$60,000 a month without much trouble (NZ$2683).

Though cost of living can be low, the potential to save up substantial amounts of money is also hindered by the salary range of normal white collar jobs. Unless you're someone who has professional knowledge in a necessary field with little competition or you are somehow special and can solve problems locals cannot in a flash, it seems unlikely that you will be able to find a good-paying job. Now you may be that kind of person, so who knows?

Not trying to be insulting in any way, but what exactly do you mean by "senior consultant specializing in computer networking, I also have considerable experience managing projects, teams and businesses"? Does that mean that you're the IT guy at a company who has been there a long time? Sorry for not being very knowledgeable on this matter. What sort of business would you like to start?
lupillus
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

Postby asianmom » 22 Feb 2010, 01:51

XinBiDe wrote:
TomHill wrote:

Even if you're right, it's better to let things fall apart on their own than to end the relationship abruptly, offering neither of us closure when we still care about each other. It'd leave her with a lot of questions and I wouldn't feel good about it either. Life is what life is, and it's better to let me make my own mistakes. I'm still young, I can afford to do that.

XinBiDe,
TomHill is warning you about the red flags so you could steer your relationship towards a healthier direction, so things will not have to fall apart. Tom posted about his experience about 2 years ago, plaese read it, and you'd know he really has a heart of gold.
asianmom
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby XinBiDe » 22 Feb 2010, 02:00

Does anyone want to break this section off into a thread about my deteriorating love life?
Or can we just resume the original topic?
XinBiDe

Postby lupillus » 22 Feb 2010, 02:13

So, tell me. Were you breastfed as a child?
lupillus

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Return to Working in Taiwan