Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

How to Find a Non-Teaching Job?

Moderator: John

How to Find a Non-Teaching Job?

Postby arctor » 20 Sep 2001, 04:36

Hi, just following up on a post stating that teaching is a waste of time. For some it is and for others...

I was wondering if anyone knew of any headhunters or contacts to find non-teaching jobs. I have a business background and three years office experience but...but... no chinese.

Let me know ( arctor@hotmail.com ) if you have any leads. Right now my heart is not in teaching as it once was my first time in Taiwan.

thanks, Bob Arctor
arctor

ORIGINAL POSTER

Teach or not to teach

Postby NFITaipei » 20 Sep 2001, 07:47

There is, of course, the job section here at Oriented, and of course the local (English language) papers. Depending on what you want to do, the experiences I have heard of the head hunters were absolutely useless unless you spoke Chinese fluently.

Try AMCHAM as a conduit of information, plus other country's business groups.

PS: Isn't Bob Arctor the main character from one of Philip K. Dick's novels?
NFITaipei

ORIGINAL POSTER

How to get a non-teaching job

Postby houziwang » 24 Jan 2003, 21:49

What are the opportunities for a non-Taiwanese to get a job other than teaching english :P and how would I go about this?
houziwang

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby JeffG » 24 Jan 2003, 22:06

Praying might help.

ATTN: American Citizens living in Taiwan, please support American Citizens Abroad - ACA http://www.americansabroad.org/

Americans living in Taiwan CALL your senators and representatives and ask them to repeal FATCA and support residency based taxation (RBT) for Americans living abroad! Writing a letter is useless! FATCA has been implemented and banks will be collecting your information here. In addition renunciation fees are now $2350! Insane!

The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is.
C.S. Lewis
Forumosan avatar
JeffG
I'm posting like Shakespeare (1564~1616)

12 Recognized(s)

Postby amos » 24 Jan 2003, 22:27

Go to Eslite, buy a bible, grab yourself a pushbike, and you're on your way.
Forumosan avatar
amos
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

Postby Tomas » 24 Jan 2003, 22:30

If you're good-looking, you could look into becoming a niulang. I know they've had vacancies since I left the business. Pun intended.
Tomas
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

129 Recommends(s)
158 Recognized(s)

Postby JeffG » 24 Jan 2003, 22:49

Okay seriously,

There are some opportunities outside teaching but the competition is great. You also much ask yourself i you want to deal with people at a company in Taiwan, it is very different than teaching. Each have there own BS and to tell you the truth I am not sure which one is worse. You will probably not make as much money in a non-teaching job, and your hours at the office will most likely be more than 40 a week, which you are not paid for.

1. Do you have any skills other then teaching?
2. What kind of job are you looking for?

I am not trying to discourage you from looking, but you should know the truth and consider what you really want. But that is not really what you are asking... There are jobs, but you have to search for them, and just taking any 'ol job that is not teaching may not be any better than teaching. Just something to think about.

ATTN: American Citizens living in Taiwan, please support American Citizens Abroad - ACA http://www.americansabroad.org/

Americans living in Taiwan CALL your senators and representatives and ask them to repeal FATCA and support residency based taxation (RBT) for Americans living abroad! Writing a letter is useless! FATCA has been implemented and banks will be collecting your information here. In addition renunciation fees are now $2350! Insane!

The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is.
C.S. Lewis
Forumosan avatar
JeffG

12 Recognized(s)

Postby Tomas » 24 Jan 2003, 23:55

You might want to narrow down the field a bit by telling us exactly what field you have experience in (e.g. engineering, business, editing, writing, translating), and what you might be interested in.
Tomas

129 Recommends(s)
158 Recognized(s)

Postby almas john » 25 Jan 2003, 00:39

Tired of teaching?? Well, it's hard to find other work, but what I have done is switch to part-time teaching (for beer money and an ARC) but with plenty of time for writing.

As with most things in Taiwan what you can get will depend on your contacts.

I know foreign English teachers (none of whom have any special skills or knowledge of Chinese language) who have moved on to full-time jobs and are doing okay; you can....
Open a bar/restaurant.
Open an illegal buxiban with Taiwanese wife/girlfriend.
Become a technical writer for a Hsinchu computer company.
Work for a trading company (mostly correcting e-mails, letters and rewriting difficult English/Chinglish)
Beome a Taiwan Beer taster.

But I want to stress that there is a world of difference between teaching 30 hours at a crap school and teaching 10 hours at a good school. I enjoy the social contact at my school (i.e. lots of tasty females) after hours spent alone looking at books and the computer screen.

Cheers.
almas john
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

24 Recommends(s)
60 Recognized(s)

Postby ckvw » 25 Jan 2003, 00:51

Without other special skills, experience, and connections (e.g. liberal arts college grad, English only) editing and writing for English publications seem to be the most likely jobs, but these aren't that easy to come by. Luck and persistence seem to play the biggest role in getting these kinds of jobs.
ckvw

ORIGINAL POSTER

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Working in Taiwan