How to Find a Non-Teaching Job?

Moderator: John

Re: Tips on working in Taiwan (non-english teaching)

Postby Doug from Canada » 16 Feb 2011, 22:56

Haha, they're not really goals. I'm just curious to see what to expect.
Doug from Canada
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby Icon » 16 Feb 2011, 23:31

Average salary starts at 40K TWD. Long hours, travel involved. As it has been said before, teh best deals are found by looking at a multinational company that wants to send you here.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

759 Recommends(s)
592 Recognized(s)

Postby Doug from Canada » 16 Feb 2011, 23:39

Good to hear. Just curious...how long are long? Is 40k for domestic jobs? If so, what's a rough range for a position when an MNC sends you to Taiwan? Thanks so much!
Doug from Canada

Postby danbinggui » 18 Feb 2011, 00:26

Doug from Canada wrote:Hi all, this is my first post in what seems to be an extremely active forum for Taiwan expats. I'm not sure if this is the right forum (please move if necessary) but I am hoping to get your tips/advice/insights on locating a business related (i.e. non-english teaching related) job in Taiwan. In particular, I would be very interested in hearing your thoughts on how to best locate such jobs, the requirement for Chinese literacy, pay, suggestions on types of jobs that would suit me, etc. I've done a search through the threads in the forum and have already found some great stuff and was hoping to get even more personalized advice here.

I guess you should also know a little bit about me. I'm a Canadian national age 24 with an undergrad in business management. I have 2+ years of experience in strategy consulting within the financial services and new technologies sectors for a large multinational consulting firm (realistically though I have the equivalent of 4+ years of experience). Fluent in english of course with conversational chinese under my belt, having worked in Taiwan before. I'm interested in basically anything business-related but am open to anything that pays decent and does not involve teaching english. Obviously I have nothing against english teaching, just that I'm looking to live in Taiwan permanently and am looking to build a career outside of the teaching world. In terms of pay, I'm hoping for 100k+ NT/month but am flexible. I'm currently making $70k USD/yr so I'm willing to take a very significant pay cut but would like to maintain an ok life style if possible.

Thank you for your help, particularly given that almost all the info I've found elsewhere online so far has been english teaching related. Please let me know if I should add or clarify on anything.

Yeah I'd look into a foreign company here. From what I hear from a long-termer I know in the tech field, they have to pay waiguoren a semi-comparable wage to what they would make back home. Makes me wanna polish up my resume ;)

Good luck to yah. What brings you to Taiwan?
danbinggui
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

11 Recommends(s)

Postby Doug from Canada » 18 Feb 2011, 04:55

Ah, gotcha. Any suggestions on foreign companies that are prominent in Taiwan? I know only of Citigroup so far.

I'm looking to move there as my wife is Taiwanese.
Doug from Canada

Postby citizen k » 18 Feb 2011, 11:11

HSBC, Standard Chartered, UBS, Prudential, Manulife, BNP, ANZ...they're all here.
citizen k
"Drinks for the House!"

4 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 21 Jan 1996

Postby Naughtius » 18 Feb 2011, 11:24

I'm pretty sure that Taiwanese companies are required to pay foreign professionals a minimum of 50k TWD per month. Also, if you’re looking into Taiwanese companies, they would most likely hire you because they want an English speaker of staff. So essentially, you’d be the English go-to guy. As others already said, you’d get paid mush more by getting sent here by a western company.
Forumosan avatar
Naughtius
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

2 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 18 Feb 2011, 13:11

Doug from Canada wrote:Ah, gotcha. Any suggestions on foreign companies that are prominent in Taiwan? I know only of Citigroup so far.

I'm looking to move there as my wife is Taiwanese.

Citibank here is not really Citibank US.

Minimun wage for foreigner is minimun wage for local times two, at least, per law. First year taxes are 20%.

Long hours include 12 to 16, depending on teh industry. Normal is 10.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

759 Recommends(s)
592 Recognized(s)

Postby citizen k » 18 Feb 2011, 13:25

Naughtius wrote:As others already said, you’d get paid mush more by getting sent here by a western company.

True that. I'd look at getting in touch with some headhunters with ties to the financial ,or whatever other industry you are interested, in South East Asia and make it clear to them that you are specifically interested in being posted in TW. I know many people who are "overseas hires" here and the lowest I've heard of is maybe 2 million per year salary supplemented by housing allowance, car, and education allowances in the case where they are bringing children. Pretty sweet. Most are engineers though. Not so familiar with what's common in finance.
citizen k
"Drinks for the House!"

4 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 21 Jan 1996

Postby Doug from Canada » 18 Feb 2011, 20:09

Great. Thanks for all the info. What do you think the requirements are for chinese proficiency? I'm only conversationally proficient. Will this be a major issue?
Doug from Canada

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Working in Taiwan