Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Best Thai Restaurant of 2011

Help us recognize the best restaurants, bars, and pubs in Taiwan. Place your vote in each poll before 1 Jan 2012

Moderators: elektronisk, citizen k

Forum rules
Please post requests for new categories in the Best of 2011 polls in this thread - over here. Please include at least three poll options to get it started. We will review it and decide whether to include it asap

Best Thai restaurant is?

Poll ended at 01 Jan 2012, 12:50

Lacuz
No votes
Sukhothai
17%
Thai Town
17%
Thai Work (Taichung)
17%
Very Thai 非常泰
50%
Other (please post name)
No votes

Total votes : 6

Best Thai Restaurant of 2011

Postby elektronisk » 25 Nov 2011, 12:50

If you chose "Other" please be sure to post the name and I will count them manually for the final poll results. If no name is posted/given/pm'd for "Other" the vote will not count.

You can change your vote anytime until January 1, 2012.
Forumosan avatar
elektronisk
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

ORIGINAL POSTER
63 Recommends(s)
35 Recognized(s)

Re: Best Thai Restaurant of 2011

Postby neesh » 29 Jan 2012, 23:07

I'm too late to vote, but here's my 2 cents. The best authentic Thai food is found at the several small Thai restaurants in and near the Wu Gu industrial park (Hsin Chuang (Xinzhuang)) of New Taipei City. These restaurants serve Thai street food catering to the Thai factory workers in this area, with prices to match. Cans of Leo beer cost just $35 NT. Papaya salads range in price from $60 to $80 dollars. The dishes are prepared to Thai standards of hotness, which means that one bite of the papaya or seafood salads can fill your mouth with a blowtorch of fire. They also serve small baskets of sticky rice that you eat with your fingers to quench the fire in your mouth. Imported beverages include small or large bottles of Thai whiskey and super-sweet Thai green Fanta. Some shops sell small bags of fried pork skins, and on occasion you can get fried bananas or homemade Thai sausage (super yummy). The tables at all these places carry the condiments necessary for a simple Thai meal. Fish sauce, fish sauce with fresh chopped chilis, vinegar with fresh chopped chilis, sugar, and dried shredded chilis. Two places have satellite TV and the women bosses turn the TV to Thai soap operas in the evenings. On weekend nights Thai factory workers gather at a couple of these spots for karaoke on the $10 coin drop machines. If you enjoy rock ballads and power chords straight from American rock of the 70s and 80s, then Thai karaoke nights are not to be missed.

It's just not fair. A meal and a beer at these places is priced very reasonably, while the cost of a burger and a Bud at a pub in Taipei is $$$$$$. Thank god for Queen Burger in Taipei.
neesh
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

12 Recognized(s)

Postby tango42 » 30 Jan 2012, 15:25

neesh wrote:I'm too late to vote, but here's my 2 cents. The best authentic Thai food is found at the several small Thai restaurants in and near the Wu Gu industrial park (Hsin Chuang (Xinzhuang) (Xinzhuang)) of New Taipei City. These restaurants serve Thai street food catering to the Thai factory workers in this area, with prices to match. Cans of Leo beer cost just $35 NT. Papaya salads range in price from $60 to $80 dollars. The dishes are prepared to Thai standards of hotness, which means that one bite of the papaya or seafood salads can fill your mouth with a blowtorch of fire. They also serve small baskets of sticky rice that you eat with your fingers to quench the fire in your mouth. Imported beverages include small or large bottles of Thai whiskey and super-sweet Thai green Fanta. Some shops sell small bags of fried pork skins, and on occasion you can get fried bananas or homemade Thai sausage (super yummy). The tables at all these places carry the condiments necessary for a simple Thai meal. Fish sauce, fish sauce with fresh chopped chilis, vinegar with fresh chopped chilis, sugar, and dried shredded chilis. Two places have satellite TV and the women bosses turn the TV to Thai soap operas in the evenings. On weekend nights Thai factory workers gather at a couple of these spots for karaoke on the $10 coin drop machines. If you enjoy rock ballads and power chords straight from American rock of the 70s and 80s, then Thai karaoke nights are not to be missed.

It's just not fair. A meal and a beer at these places is priced very reasonably, while the cost of a burger and a Bud at a pub in Taipei is $$$$$$. Thank god for Queen Burger in Taipei.

That post makes me hungry for real Thai food.
“Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
tango42
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

6 Recommends(s)
36 Recognized(s)

Postby Tempo Gain » 30 Jan 2012, 15:57

neesh wrote:I'm too late to vote, but here's my 2 cents. The best authentic Thai food is found at the several small Thai restaurants in and near the Wu Gu industrial park (Hsin Chuang (Xinzhuang)) of New Taipei City. .

Any idea of an address?
Forumosan avatar
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

309 Recommends(s)
304 Recognized(s)

Postby neesh » 02 Feb 2012, 11:00

Tempo Gain wrote:
neesh wrote:I'm too late to vote, but here's my 2 cents. The best authentic Thai food is found at the several small Thai restaurants in and near the Wu Gu industrial park (Hsin Chuang (Xinzhuang) (Xinzhuang)) of New Taipei City. .

Any idea of an address?

Give me a couple of days. I'll drop by the places, scribble down a couple of address and post them.
neesh

12 Recognized(s)

Postby Tempo Gain » 02 Feb 2012, 11:21

Thanks!
Forumosan avatar
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

309 Recommends(s)
304 Recognized(s)

Postby neesh » 02 Feb 2012, 20:58

Tempo Gain wrote:
neesh wrote:I'm too late to vote, but here's my 2 cents. The best authentic Thai food is found at the several small Thai restaurants in and near the Wu Gu industrial park (Hsin Chuang (Xinzhuang) (Xinzhuang)) of New Taipei City. .

Any idea of an address?

Here are 4 eateries which I've eaten at, all in Xinzhuang. To save time, I looked them up in Google maps street view.
A) #9 Xing Fu East Road (just off Hua Cheng Road)
B) #27 Lane 68 Wu Gong Road
C) The address plate of this restaurant is not visible in Google street view, so I've taken the address across from it, which is #784 Hua Cheng Road
D) This is a small place only open for a year or so. It's a few doors to the left of #784 Hua Cheng Road. Google street view shows the previous tenant, which was a Taiwanese noodle shop.

If you can speak or read Thai, you'll feel right at home in these places. If not, the proprietors speak Mandarin and Taiwanese.
D is only so, so, but it's cheap. A, B, and C are much better, and each has its own distinct atmosphere. I would feel comfortable taking kids to B or D on any day, at any time, but I'd never take kids to A.

I believe there is another small joint a few doors down from A. But I can't remember if it's Thai or Viet. Across from A there is a Viet place with backroom karoake. There is a Viet place on Lane 68 a few blocks from B. A few blocks from B, there is a small grocer specializing in the fresh ingredients used in Thai and Viet cooking. And of course, there are several more hole in the wall places in the industrial park.
neesh

12 Recognized(s)

Postby Tempo Gain » 03 Feb 2012, 02:05

Thanks again, that's awesome. I'm around there fairly often.
Forumosan avatar
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

309 Recommends(s)
304 Recognized(s)

Postby european » 26 Sep 2012, 00:23

neesh wrote:
Tempo Gain wrote:
neesh wrote:I'm too late to vote, but here's my 2 cents. The best authentic Thai food is found at the several small Thai restaurants in and near the Wu Gu industrial park (Hsin Chuang (Xinzhuang) (Xinzhuang) (Xinzhuang)) of New Taipei City. .

Any idea of an address?

Here are 4 eateries which I've eaten at, all in Xinzhuang. To save time, I looked them up in Google maps street view.
A) #9 Xing Fu East Road (just off Hua Cheng Road)
B) #27 Lane 68 Wu Gong Road
C) The address plate of this restaurant is not visible in Google street view, so I've taken the address across from it, which is #784 Hua Cheng Road
D) This is a small place only open for a year or so. It's a few doors to the left of #784 Hua Cheng Road. Google street view shows the previous tenant, which was a Taiwanese noodle shop.

If you can speak or read Thai, you'll feel right at home in these places. If not, the proprietors speak Mandarin and Taiwanese.
D is only so, so, but it's cheap. A, B, and C are much better, and each has its own distinct atmosphere. I would feel comfortable taking kids to B or D on any day, at any time, but I'd never take kids to A.

I believe there is another small joint a few doors down from A. But I can't remember if it's Thai or Viet. Across from A there is a Viet place with backroom karoake. There is a Viet place on Lane 68 a few blocks from B. A few blocks from B, there is a small grocer specializing in the fresh ingredients used in Thai and Viet cooking. And of course, there are several more hole in the wall places in the industrial park.

It would be very helpful if you posted the actual google links while you were on them. I have spent 20 mins looking for these places and I still can't find them.
european
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Tempo Gain » 26 Sep 2012, 00:38

Forumosan avatar
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

309 Recommends(s)
304 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Best of 2011