Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Ms Clinton say everybody in world can be gay

A forum for discussing gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender-related issues, both specific to Taiwan and in general. This forum welcomes people of all sexual orientations to participate and share their opinions and experiences in a mature and safe environment.

Moderator: John

Ms Clinton say everybody in world can be gay

Postby sam_wong » 08 Dec 2011, 20:09

Today I read this in China Post

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/international/americas/2011/12/08/325323/Obama-Clinton.htm

The US had a big fight for many years about gay marriage, about gays in army etc.
Now the US has decided to allow gay marriage.
Now the US wants the world to do the same as the US!
Maybe some countries already allow gay marriages etc.
Maybe some countries do not want gay marriages.
Why do all countries have to do the same as the US?
sam_wong
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
28 Recognized(s)

Re: Ms Clinton say everybody in world can be gay

Postby Dragonbones » 08 Dec 2011, 20:23

The article also notes that gays and lesbians can be arrested, tortured and even executed in some countries. Do you think we should simply ignore such active persecution of gays as this, sam wong?
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

39 Recommends(s)
104 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 08 Dec 2011, 22:59

sam_wong wrote:Today I read this in China Post

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/international/americas/2011/12/08/325323/Obama-Clinton.htm

The US had a big fight for many years about gay marriage, about gays in army etc.

In the US, only a handful of states allow gay marriage' it's not legal nationwide... yet. There are about a dozen countries that have already beaten the US in this issue.

It's not about countries following US's lead. It's about countries doing what's right: i.e., ending discrimination against gays.
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

85 Recommends(s)
182 Recognized(s)

Postby Steviebike » 08 Dec 2011, 23:06

Oh my lord!

The rights of person to choose who they want to marry, should not even be a law or question etc. It should be the given freedom of everyone around the world. I think the US are doing the best democratic decision in the world! But, as other people have pointed out it's not legal in all states (happy to be corrected on that). There is nothing wrong with same-sex marriage Sam Wong - if that is your point?

Personally I can't believe were dealing with these things in 2011. We should be flying around in spaceships, teleporting, using replicators for food, having wild fun in the holodeck and getting robots to do all the crappy work we don't want to do.
Just checking but you're a South African Engrish Teachur right? No. I'm a Russian nuclear physicist.
Forumosan avatar
Steviebike
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

70 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 09 Dec 2011, 00:24

Human rights? Most animals in the wild have more Human Rights then Humans do.

I was very homophobic when I was on the wan because I had very little exposure to gay people. But after ten years in CAlif and having openly gay co workers and coming into contact (not physically) with many gay customers, im not homo phobic now. They are just regular human beans like you and i. Who cares what their sexual orientation is really? They should most definitely be allowed to marry their partner if that means something to them (and of course it does...as it does to the rest of us).

They should be allowed to marry, divorce, have restraining orders, have alimonies, all the good stuff.
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

598 Recommends(s)
372 Recognized(s)

Postby pgdaddy1 » 09 Dec 2011, 01:47

sam_wong wrote:Today I read this in China Post

Seriously, this is one of the best things that has come out of US foreign policy in years. Ulterior motives maybe ? To win the support of gay voters in the USA in time for the election ? Well surely the gay vote is not that big to swing an election ?
Forumosan avatar
pgdaddy1
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

121 Recommends(s)
57 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 09 Dec 2011, 01:51

pgdaddy1 wrote:...well surely the gay vote is not that big to swing an election ?

If the gay vote can't swing the election, then it's not the voting block I thought it was.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

782 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 09 Dec 2011, 01:51

I read somewhere that ten percent of all males are gay. Ten percent?? Thats a BIG number, certainly enough to sway an election. And what bout the lesbians? They got a large percentage there too.

So lets say 15pct of the USA population is Gay or Lesbian? Thats a lot of people.
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

598 Recommends(s)
372 Recognized(s)

Postby pgdaddy1 » 09 Dec 2011, 02:00

Muzha Man wrote:
pgdaddy1 wrote:...well surely the gay vote is not that big to swing an election ?

If the gay vote can't swing the election, then it's not the voting block I thought it was.

Surely in terms of numbers it can't make a difference can it ?
Forumosan avatar
pgdaddy1

121 Recommends(s)
57 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 09 Dec 2011, 02:01

tommy525 wrote:I read somewhere that ten percent of all males are gay. Ten percent?? Thats a BIG number, certainly enough to sway an election. And what bout the lesbians? They got a large percentage there too.

So lets say 15pct of the USA population is Gay or Lesbian? Thats a lot of people.

No, if 10% of all males are gay and 5% of all females are gay, that makes about 7.5% of the population gay.
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

85 Recommends(s)
182 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to LGBT Forum