Nature v Nurture / Religion / other hot potatoes

A forum for discussing gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender-related issues, both specific to Taiwan and in general. This forum welcomes people of all sexual orientations to participate and share their opinions and experiences in a mature and safe environment.

Moderator: John

Nature v Nurture / Religion / other hot potatoes

Postby viba » 09 Feb 2012, 10:29

For the record I agree that gays should be afforded the same rights in our society, such as marriage, etc. However, although I have had various gay friends and acquaintances over the years, I have never, perhaps through embarrassment or lack of courage, discussed certain issues with them that I felt I should have done.

Respectfully, I hope I can raise them to the gay community here so as to can gain more understanding. I hope this doesn’t seem too random or upfront:

Is it nature or nurture that determines (homo)sexuality?

Do you think it is possible both factors are involved? If so, do you think some people are more “gay” than others?

Do you think it is possible to be confused about one's sexuality - either homo or hetro?

Is it possible to be a little bit gay or prone to homosexuality, like some people are prone to violence for example?

Since both the Old and New testaments condemn homosexuality, do you think that is tantamount to discrimination and that homosexual Christian preachers, and worshippers, should be able to “join the club” if they wanted to?

Well after some of those I fear you might have been rolling your eyes, but I’m sure you agree there is much more “educating” to be done before homosexuality is accepted a level that pleases you. Educate me…
viba
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

ORIGINAL POSTER
31 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

Re: Nature v Nurture / Religion / other hot potatoes

Postby baberenglish » 09 Feb 2012, 11:07

Gay/Lesbian population should have(deserve) equal rights.
You questions sound very discriminating.
Open your eyes.
Forumosan avatar
baberenglish
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

13 Recognized(s)

Postby viba » 09 Feb 2012, 11:28

Hmm, well my first question is an issue very much in debate as it seems quarters disagree. The next two or three questions are varients of the first.

The one on Christianity is valid too in my opinion. I didn't mean to offend.

Perhaps the promiscuous one is out of hand :oops:
viba

ORIGINAL POSTER
31 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 09 Feb 2012, 11:29

baberenglish wrote:Gay/Lesbian population should have(deserve) equal rights.
You questions sound very discriminating.
Open your eyes.

Which part of
For the record I agree that gays should be afforded the same rights in our society, such as marriage, etc.
is passing right over your head? The OP is asking questions, not making statements.

Nature or nurture? Both, I expect, but more nature.
Confused about your sexuality? Of course! What adolescent isn't at some point?
Prone to? I don't know. But there are plenty of bisexual people around. Is that the same?
There's certainly a subset of the gay community that could probably be considered promiscuous. Just like heterosexual people. There's also millions of them who have non-promiscuous sex lives. Just like heterosexual people.
I don't think gay people are any more or less spiritual than anybody else. Why would they or wouldn't they be? I don't really understand this one. I also fail to equate "religious" with "spiritual." The two can and do exist totally separately. Religion is not spirituality, spirituality is not religion.
I can't answer your question about preachers. Its just a job like any other, to me, but I don't come from a religious background. I respect such people as people, but not as a job title, any more than I would respect a plumber for being a plumber. Why shouldn't gay ones be allowed to do it?
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby 914 » 09 Feb 2012, 11:47

I also am interested in the questions posed by the OP. I do not find them discriminatory at all. No time to write more but I hope this thread stays and people are mature enough to stay on topic.
Messages are sent from my iPad so if you find any errors, you may keep them. Myspacebarhasissues.
Forumosan avatar
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

Location: YVR to SFO to TPE; Now in semi-retirement in Sky Mother
35 Recommends(s)
37 Recognized(s)

Postby viba » 09 Feb 2012, 11:53

Thank you.
viba

ORIGINAL POSTER
31 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

Postby baberenglish » 09 Feb 2012, 12:31

I do think the tone of some of the questions are discriminatory in nature and are offensive.
My two cents.
Forumosan avatar
baberenglish

13 Recognized(s)

Postby viba » 09 Feb 2012, 13:43

the two cents is what it's all about here, no? I can assure you I am deeply flawed butdid not mean to offend. Nor will I call names.

I find the Christian issue perplexingly paradoxical sandman simply because to be a Christian you should be believing in the Bible and its principles, no? I'm interested how homosexual Christians deal with this.
viba

ORIGINAL POSTER
31 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

Return to LGBT Forum