DISCUSSION FROM: Free & Anonymous HIV rapid test for Gay male

A forum for discussing gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender-related issues, both specific to Taiwan and in general. This forum welcomes people of all sexual orientations to participate and share their opinions and experiences in a mature and safe environment.

Moderator: John

Re: Free & Anonymous HIV rapid test for Gay male

Postby sandman » 03 Apr 2012, 12:00

lofaawork wrote:
jimipresley wrote:Is this service only available to gay males?

It's FREE for gay male. One would have to pay for the test if not gay, I'm afraid :oops:
Still, it's an anonymous test service for whoever needs it :bow:

So all I would need to do is say "I'm a gay male" and I'd get a free test? How many clients have you had to date who have said sorry, I'm straight, so I'll need to pay... And why do gay men get the test for free but not straights? Sounds highly discriminatory. How about gay women? Do they also need to pay?
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby lofaawork » 03 Apr 2012, 15:01

StuartCa wrote:
lofaawork wrote: HIV positive is not an issue here in our office :bow:

Maybe not in your office (kind of obvious for an HIV clinic) but don't you still have to tell the government if a foreigner is HIV+?

We're not the POLICE, I'm afraid. It's not our job to report someone (whichever nationality) who has the virus. On the other hand, it's our duty to provide resources if HIV positive result is confirmed :bow:
lofaawork
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Postby John » 03 Apr 2012, 15:29

Moderator's note: lofaawork (OP) has updated the original post with more detailed information about this service.

lofaawork, thanks for the updated info, much appreciated, and thanks for posting this on a 'foreigners' forum :bow:

A few more questions:

Could you please explain how sexuality is determined?

What is the price for heteros and gay women who would like an anonymous HIV test?

lofaawork wrote:
StuartCa wrote:
lofaawork wrote: HIV positive is not an issue here in our office :bow:

Maybe not in your office (kind of obvious for an HIV clinic) but don't you still have to tell the government if a foreigner is HIV+?

We're not the POLICE, I'm afraid. It's not our job to report someone (whichever nationality) who has the virus. On the other hand, it's our duty to provide resources if HIV positive result is confirmed :bow:

Does this mean that:

You will NOT collect any private data (such as ID card, passport, and/or telephone number etc.?)
Clients are allowed to enter the office with a face mask (to avoid security cameras etc.)?

lofaawork wrote:Free and Anonymous ABBOTT HIV rapid test - a special service for gay male
This service is provided by Gay Community Center Taipei http://zh-tw.facebook.com/pages/%E5%A4%A7%E5%8F%B0%E5%8C%97%E5%90%8C%E5%AD%B8%E6%9C%83/160160320764149?sk=wall&filter=12
Sponsored by LOFAA http://www.lofaa.org.tw/

Abbott HIV rapid test takes only one drop of blood. More than 99.9% accuracy.
If you're not ready for an accurate test result within 20 minutes, maybe it's not the right time for you.
There's always regular blood tests available. You decide.

Time and Date: 1:30 pm - 9:00 pm every Tuesday and Thursday
TEL : 02-2250-5110 / To ensure your privacy, make a reservation in advance

Regular Business Hour: 1:30 pm - 9:30 pm, Tuesday through Saturday

(Family Mart at ground floor)
新北市板橋區民生路二段250號五樓 (w/elevator), 全家超商五樓

Travel Guide: Exit 4/Juquang Road (w/escalator) , Xinpu station, Banqiao Line, Taipei MRT

Forumosan avatar
John
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

27 Recommends(s)
22 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 08 Nov 1999

Postby lofaawork » 03 Apr 2012, 16:01

sandman wrote:
lofaawork wrote:
jimipresley wrote:Is this service only available to gay males?

It's FREE for gay male. One would have to pay for the test if not gay, I'm afraid :oops:
Still, it's an anonymous test service for whoever needs it :bow:

So all I would need to do is say "I'm a gay male" and I'd get a free test? How many clients have you had to date who have said sorry, I'm straight, so I'll need to pay... And why do gay men get the test for free but not straights? Sounds highly discriminatory. How about gay women? Do they also need to pay?

a. The funding is limited for gay male, to begin with.

b. There'll be a short conversation before the test, generally over the phone, to make sure it's the RIGHT TIME to take the test :lol: It's really up to you in terms of what you tell us. It's for you to decide and for us to think about :cool:

c. Gay female is not the high risk group in terms of HIV transmission, we rarely receive test request from gay female, to be honest. If the service is needed, we'd be glad to offer the test :bow:

d. Free test service is for gay male only.
lofaawork

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Postby lofaawork » 03 Apr 2012, 16:09

Does this mean that:
You will NOT collect any private data (such as ID card, passport, and/or telephone number etc.?)
Clients are allowed to enter the office with a face mask (to avoid security cameras etc.)?

a. If you feel better with a mask on, it's perfectly fine. It doesn't bother us at all :wink:

b. This is an ANONYMOUS test :bow:
lofaawork

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Postby lofaawork » 03 Apr 2012, 16:15

Um...couldn't someone just CLAIM they are gay and get the free test, or is there some sort of 'gay exam' to determine one's sexual preference to see whether or not they need to pay?

Don't mean to be rude, but, gay exam? Thanks for the laugh, you really make my day :D

It's really up to you what you tell us, it's for you to decide and for us to think about :)
lofaawork

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Postby lofaawork » 03 Apr 2012, 16:22

That's exactly what I was thinking. And who is administering the tests? You provide pictures of a barely furnished apartment and invite gays only. How do we know you are not just looking for a boyfriend or starting some kind of cult where you give a quick test, identify someone as HIV positive, sell them expensive drugs that destroy the immune system, then have the cult members recruit more...?

HIV tests are available at any hospital and most authorized medical clinics.

a. Thank you for your comment.

b. You're absolutely right, HIV test are available at many places. It's up to you. You decide.

c. We're NGO, we do not SELL and/or PROVIDE ANY HIV/AIDS RELATED MEDICATION :bow:
lofaawork

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 03 Apr 2012, 16:36

So YOU guys are the ones who decide who is "gay enough" for free treatment. How do you reach these decisions?
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby magnolia » 03 Apr 2012, 16:47

Thanks for sharing this useful information. :notworthy:

Do you know if there is a similar service available for married straight men (perhaps with families) who fuck disease-ridden whores on international business trips and/or their own neighborhood brothels? Is there funding for that, do you know, and can I pretend to be one to get a free HIV test there, perhaps? Or do I have to go to the "gay" one, because I'm, you know, gay? I'm sorry to ask, but you see, I don't understand. Please help. Thanks.
'Beef ain't nothing to me, you wally, why don't you just kick back be jolly, stay at home with a cup of tea, watch Corrie.'
Forumosan avatar
magnolia
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

10 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby lofaawork » 03 Apr 2012, 17:00

So YOU guys are the ones who decide who is "gay enough" for free treatment. How do you reach these decisions?

Do you know if there is a similar service available for married straight men (perhaps with families) who fuck disease-ridden whores on international business trips and/or their own neighborhood brothels? Is there funding for that, do you know, and can I pretend to be one to get a free HIV test there, perhaps? Or do I have to go to the "gay" one, because I'm, you know, gay? I'm sorry to ask, but you see, I don't understand. Please help. Thanks.

a. Thank you for your comment.

b. Free test funding is limited for gay male only.

c. It's really up to you what you tell us. We do not judge people. We evaluate risky behavior :bow:
lofaawork

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to LGBT Forum