DISCUSSION FROM: Free & Anonymous HIV rapid test for Gay male

A forum for discussing gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender-related issues, both specific to Taiwan and in general. This forum welcomes people of all sexual orientations to participate and share their opinions and experiences in a mature and safe environment.

Moderator: John

Re: Free & Anonymous HIV rapid test for Gay male

Postby magnolia » 11 Apr 2012, 08:41

Why not indeed? Some places do that; this one doesn't. No one's forcing anyone to take a free or a paid test!

Edit: HIV is still a very "gay" things to most Taiwanese; going to take an HIV test anywhere makes you look GAY; paying for the "straight" test takes away a bit of that stigma. Do you really not get it?
'Beef ain't nothing to me, you wally, why don't you just kick back be jolly, stay at home with a cup of tea, watch Corrie.'
Forumosan avatar
magnolia
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

7 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby John » 11 Apr 2012, 09:07

I assume it is simply a matter of limited funding.

These free HIV tests are provided by the Light of Friendship AIDS Control Association which is a non-profit NGO.

It is entirely up to them to decide on the rules, and maybe they consider gay men in Taiwan to be a high priority target (the same way the NZ AIDS Foundation did when they started as a gay support group in the mid 80s).

If any hetero men are too stingy to pay 500 for a test, then they can simply go to any of the three places listed here: http://forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph ... 0#p1361669 Also free, also anonymous.

I suppose it would not be Forumosa if there was not the usual belligerent commentary, even when the news is good, and again...the news IS good: rapid, reliable, ANONYMOUS HIV tests!
Forumosan avatar
John
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

27 Recommends(s)
13 Recognized(s)

Postby magnolia » 11 Apr 2012, 09:27

So it's not a gay conspiracy or cultural misunderstanding in any shape or form, simply some really good news about an excellent and praiseworthy service? Man, you just blew my mind... ;)
'Beef ain't nothing to me, you wally, why don't you just kick back be jolly, stay at home with a cup of tea, watch Corrie.'
Forumosan avatar
magnolia

7 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby rosarot » 11 Apr 2012, 11:25

magnolia wrote:So it's not a gay conspiracy or cultural misunderstanding in any shape or form, simply some really good news about an excellent and praiseworthy service? Man, you just blew my mind... ;)

I'm afraid you're wrong.
What we're dealing with is clearly yet another attempt of gay people to further discriminate the allready marginalized group of straight men.
I'm really glad a dozen straight (presumably mostly white) males have rushed to this thread to point that out for us. :bravo:
Why do people say "Grow some balls."? Balls are weak and sensitive! If you really wanna get tough, grow a vagina! Those things take a pounding! – Betty White
Forumosan avatar
rosarot
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

9 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby TainanCowboy » 11 Apr 2012, 13:19

If someone is a known carrier of this disease why would a group or an individual make the conscious decision to NOT report this carrier to the health authorities?

disclosure:
I lived in the San Francisco area during the 1980 * 1985 time period.
"Pardon him, Theodotus; he is a barbarian and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature" --- "Caesar and Cleopatra"...G.B. Shaw
-----
Kid Rock - Born Free
-----
"The big sisters are usually hot, but the dads smell of alcohol and tobacco....and have dirty feet with dead toe nails in blue slippers. "...Bob_Honest on "The Culture"
------
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
------
Isaiah 40:31
Forumosan avatar
TainanCowboy
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

103 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

Postby jimipresley » 11 Apr 2012, 13:23

rosarot wrote: I'm really glad a dozen straight (presumably mostly white) males have rushed to this thread to point that out for us. :bravo:

How on earth would you know the sexual proclivities or the race of the people posting here? Have you met them before? No? I thought so. Don't be so precious. :roll:
You can live here and have a great life and not be the least bit into living the local life. Clowns will try to diss you for it saying you gotta get down with the program, but fuck em, treat this place like a buffet and yous be on a diet. Take what you want and nothing extra, slam those oysters, but leave the bread sticks and dinner rolls behind. - Deuce Dropper

I'm much more of a nasty rotter in real life, especially with vapid or vacuous verbiage from the ill read & intellectually challenged. - TheGingerMan

Don't be a cheap cunt. - Deuce Dropper
Forumosan avatar
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

939 Recommends(s)
354 Recognized(s)

Postby ChewDawg » 11 Apr 2012, 13:33

TainanCowboy wrote:If someone is a known carrier of this disease why would a group or an individual make the conscious decision to NOT report this carrier to the health authorities?

disclosure:
I lived in the San Francisco area during the 1980 * 1985 time period.

Because the carrier, if a foreigner, would be immediately deported. They don't want Canuck patient zeros in Taiwan whether gay or straight. I think Taiwan should change the law on that so it ain't a deportable offense. Give the person a chance to get treatment in the country where they were infected by it .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaëtan_Dugas
So I got an expresso and a hot burrito!

This post was recommended by John (11 Apr 2012, 21:29)
Rating: 5.88%
Forumosan avatar
ChewDawg
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

107 Recommends(s)
92 Recognized(s)

Re: DISCUSSION FROM: Free & Anonymous HIV rapid test for Gay male

Postby John » 11 Apr 2012, 20:23

Moderator's note:

I want the original thread to be a resource thread with relevant information, updates and actual user feedback about the service offered.

Please use THIS thread ONLY to continue the debates about the rights and wrongs of only offering free testing to gay men.

Forumosan avatar
John

27 Recommends(s)
13 Recognized(s)

Postby Battery9 » 11 Apr 2012, 21:08

God people...you guys get marriage, better (way better) reproductive results..can we at least get a little free test here and there?

This post was recommended by John (11 Apr 2012, 21:15)
Rating: 5.88%
Battery9
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

24 Recognized(s)

Postby rosarot » 12 Apr 2012, 01:23

John wrote:Moderator's note:

I want the original thread to be a resource thread with relevant information, updates and actual user feedback about the service offered.

Please use THIS thread ONLY to continue the debates about the rights and wrongs of only offering free testing to gay men.

Thank you!
Why do people say "Grow some balls."? Balls are weak and sensitive! If you really wanna get tough, grow a vagina! Those things take a pounding! – Betty White
Forumosan avatar
rosarot

9 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

x

Return to LGBT Forum