Tolerance level in Taipei

A forum for discussing gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender-related issues, both specific to Taiwan and in general. This forum welcomes people of all sexual orientations to participate and share their opinions and experiences in a mature and safe environment.

Moderator: John

Tolerance level in Taipei

Postby AndrewLi » 05 May 2012, 05:15

Hello! I'm a new member to the forums, but I have always had a great interest in Taiwan. Mostly because I took two years of Mandarin and I have great love for the island :) .

Now my question: From the aspect of tolerance, what is the general populations reaction to gays/lesbians in Taipei? Example: Two males holding hands, two women holding hands. I'm quite interested in the tolerance because I'm from a part of the United States that is only moderate in tolerating such...When I move to Taipei, I want to have a "good picture" of what to expect in case someone ever noticed my own behavior.

Thanks! oh wait... I mean 謝謝我的朋友 :bow:

Sincerely
Andrew Li~ Feel free to invite or contact!
(我的facebook: http://www.facebook.com/andrew.limas.1/info)
AndrewLi
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Tolerance level in Taipei

Postby Feiren » 05 May 2012, 11:41

I don't think I've ever seen two men holding hands in public except at Taiwan Pride and in Ximending nearRed Theatre.

The fact that Taiwan Pride is the largest gay pride parade in Asia probably says something about the level of tolerance in Taiwan.

As far as I know, there is very little anti-gay violence like what you see in the US. There is however bullying in the schools, which has led to at least one suicide that I am aware of in a rural area down south. I think a lot of gay men over the age of 35 are very unwilling to come out of the closet to their families. They tend to adopt a no-questions no-tell policies to avoid offending the older generations. In most cases, I think it usually a pretty open secret though.

The gay scene in Taipei is very vibrant.

Many straight Taiwanese women hold hands in public so no one would really notice.

Interestingly, it is not too uncommon to see women being very 'affectionate' in public. Especially in the last MRT train. No one seems to care.

In general I think Taiwan is fairly tolerant, especially by Asian standards. But that doesn't mean that there is acceptance. Taiwan is nowhere close to legalizing gay marriage, a lot of older people don't appreciate having to see full-on gay culture, and the media publishes stereotypical coverage in which gays often shown in a prurient, unflattering light.

Perhaps others have different views?

AndrewLi wrote:Hello! I'm a new member to the forums, but I have always had a great interest in Taiwan. Mostly because I took two years of Mandarin and I have great love for the island :) .

Now my question: From the aspect of tolerance, what is the general populations reaction to gays/lesbians in Taipei? Example: Two males holding hands, two women holding hands. I'm quite interested in the tolerance because I'm from a part of the United States that is only moderate in tolerating such...When I move to Taipei, I want to have a "good picture" of what to expect in case someone ever noticed my own behavior.

Sincerely
Feiren
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

4 Recommends(s)
185 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 05 May 2012, 12:03

From my observations, I believe Taiwan is one of the most gay-tolerant places on the planet. In general, most people don't care if someone else is gay... unless they happen to be their own son or daughter (after all, who will bear their grandchildren, they're thinking).

If there's any Asian country that's likely to legalize gay marriage in the future (besides Nepal), it's Taiwan.

And the gay pride parade here is large, growing bigger every year, and is very effective at spreading the message of equality, which is being well received.

The bad: Occasionally the media will sensationalize some gay orgy that has been uncovered, or incidents of gays meeting in parks for sex. I also understand there are some old, cobweb-covered laws on the books that deal with an ill-defined "public morality" that are occasionally trotted out to get revenge against someone. But in all, tolerance for gays is rising as people are becoming more aware, and there's no real "religious right" here to fuel opposition to it.
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

78 Recommends(s)
168 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 05 May 2012, 12:06

I agree, I think being gay is rather in vogue on the rock.
the driveller - tommy525
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

477 Recommends(s)
317 Recognized(s)

Postby Deuce Dropper » 05 May 2012, 12:52

The worst thing that will likely happen to you is you will be referred to as 'a gay' instead of 'gay'. Great island for being gay, especially if you are a power bottom (just kidding, jokes, levity people :discodance: ).

You'll be fine here, hold no reservations.

This post was recommended by ramleeburger (13 Jun 2012, 00:18)
Rating: 5.88%
Forumosan avatar
Deuce Dropper
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

75 Recommends(s)
369 Recognized(s)

Postby bababa » 05 May 2012, 19:42

Taipei seemed pretty tolerant to me. Many women were very interested in it - I had several friends and classmates who asked me to take them to a lesbian bar, even though they were not lesbians themselves (unless maybe closeted).
On the other hand I met many mainly older Taiwanese people who had very harsh anti-homosexual attitudes, but all of them also seemed completely oblivious to the fact that this or that acquaintance was in fact gay.
bababa
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)

21 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

Postby PigBloodCake » 13 May 2012, 22:25

AndrewLi wrote:Hello! I'm a new member to the forums, but I have always had a great interest in Taiwan. Mostly because I took two years of Mandarin and I have great love for the island :) .

Sincerely

You'll see some really close-knit girlfriends holding hands but that doesn't mean they're Lesbians. It's quite common for Asian girls to be holding hands going through a crowd where there probably are lotsa guys checkin' 'em out.

For 2 guys, quite rare (hand holding-wise) in Taipei unless you're in Ximending.

But you really don't have to worry about Taipei being a bible-thumping city. Good luck.
Life is a bitch and death is her sister.

I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
PigBloodCake
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

9 Recommends(s)
27 Recognized(s)

Postby John » 13 May 2012, 22:30

Yup, the challenge will be finding someone who is actually willing to hold hands in public (without wearing a mask :D )
Forumosan avatar
John
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

24 Recommends(s)
13 Recognized(s)

Postby jimipresley » 13 May 2012, 22:33

Sincerely

Taiwan is VERY gay-friendly. Blokes are generally discrete, but lesbians aren't. Patriarchal bullshit.

There's no bashing going on, like in other countries. Anyway, anyone gives you the Evil Eye, give Uncle Jimi a call. We'll set those fuckers straight. :wink:
You can live here and have a great life and not be the least bit into living the local life. Clowns will try to diss you for it saying you gotta get down with the program, but fuck em, treat this place like a buffet and yous be on a diet. Take what you want and nothing extra, slam those oysters, but leave the bread sticks and dinner rolls behind. - Deuce Dropper

I'm much more of a nasty rotter in real life, especially with vapid or vacuous verbiage from the ill read & intellectually challenged. - TheGingerMan

Don't be a cheap cunt. - Deuce Dropper
Forumosan avatar
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

888 Recommends(s)
326 Recognized(s)

Postby CraigTPE » 16 May 2012, 06:30

Nobody cares unless it's in their own family. Then they care.

I've never heard of any bashing, or felt at risk myself, but you seldom see any PDA or otherwise openly gay behavior in public (except during gay pride, or around the Red House in Ximen). They seem to prefer it to be the unspoken truth.
Forumosan avatar
CraigTPE
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

91 Recommends(s)
34 Recognized(s)

Next

x

Return to LGBT Forum