Same -Sex Marriages--- Any other opinions?

A forum for discussing gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender-related issues, both specific to Taiwan and in general. This forum welcomes people of all sexual orientations to participate and share their opinions and experiences in a mature and safe environment.

Moderator: John

Postby Alien » 04 Mar 2004, 22:44

RegularJoe wrote: If gay marriage is enacted, what is to stop incestuous marriages, mulitiple marriages and pederasty?

Uh, so it's like a stepping stone to incest, polygamy and child molestation?
Ok. Whatever. An abomination. Yes. Bad bad bad.
I'll not argue with a fundamentalist.

But remember next time you tuck into a plate of shrimp fried rice or egg fried oysters:

Leviticus 11
Alien
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Flicka » 05 Mar 2004, 00:14

Who cares? Gays make what, like 3-10% of the population? Whoopdie friggin' doo. Like the whole sky is going collapse.

I am continually impressed by people like RegularJoe who obviously have never met a homosexual in their entire lives yet, through some sort of super-duper ESP with a dash of Einstein, just know, just KNOW, how homosexuality came to be and what the "gay culture" says. Fuck the gay culture. Do you think we all came from some sort of faggot cookie cutter machine? I barely get along with any of the other homos on this site, and you think we have some sort of group acknowledgement of when people are "confused."

Marriage is the union of a man and woman? OK, well will call ours a civil union. Or better yet, if you don't like the idea of gay marriage, then just don't marry someone of the same sex.

I am so sick and tired of this even being a debate and very sick and tired of this being compared to something outside the realm of two consenting adults. Why on earth would you compare this, something between two grown consenting adults, to NAMBLA? Why is it always anti-gay marriage people that seem to know THE MOST about NAMBLA?
Forumosan avatar
Flicka
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

1 Recommends(s)
6 Recognized(s)

Postby Grasshopper » 05 Mar 2004, 00:34

Well then people should start getting their rep's involved. If it's a legal matter, change the law. Lobby, protest and wait for the baby boomers to die off, anyone younger doesn't give a schmick one way or the other. Isn't ironic that the first gay marriage in Canada was between a Canadian and a Taiwanese guy.......

just my 8NT worth of opinion
Sweetness is a virtue
and you lost your virtue long ago,
You know I'd like to hurt you
but my conscience always tells me no
Forumosan avatar
Grasshopper
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

Postby Alien » 05 Mar 2004, 09:29

Prez Chen warmly congratulated a gay marriage when he was mayor in teh 90's:

When "The Wedding Banquet" won a prize at the Berlin Film Festival, photos of the Taiwanese President Lee Teng-hui shaking hands with Ang Lee were plastered on the front page of every Taiwanese newspaper, giving the seal of approval to Lee's gay subject matter.

Shortly after this, Chen Shui-bian, who was then mayor of Taipei, was challenged to attend a public gay wedding ceremony held by two gay men who returned home from the West expressly for the action. The cautious Chen didn't turn up, but he did send a congratulatory letter with a representative. That letter, however, was signed by Chen as a private citizen, and not as mayor.

http://www.thegully.com/essays/asia/000 ... estai.html
Alien

1 Recognized(s)

Postby RegularJoe » 05 Mar 2004, 09:31

Flicka,
I appreciate your response but I don't think you realize what's going on. You say there's not a "faggot cookie cutter machine" but if that's true then you need to argue against gays on this forum that act like there is. If they're misrepresenting your side then where's your outrage against them?

You bring up civil unions and that's a good point to talk about. I was against gay marriage from the start and was just starting to think that maybe civil unions would be the humane thing to do. And then the Supreme Court of Mass. said civil unions weren't good enough. It became clear to me that whatever is offered, gay rights activists will just want more. Now it's full gay marriage or nothing.

You say you're sick of this debate but it isn't a debate. There are two groups of extremists yelling at each other. No debate is going on. Those of us who disagree with gay marriage are just being called "bigots" and our reasoning and concerns are being ignored. There are lots of who disagree with this change to a fundamental institution but no one is listening.

As far as NAMBLA goes, it's a secondary issue but it shows what will happen when the civil rights argument is hijacked (as it has been for gay marriage) to support other groups.
RegularJoe
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby rousseau » 19 Mar 2004, 07:38

RegularJoe wrote:And then the Supreme Court of Mass. said civil unions weren't good enough. It became clear to me that whatever is offered, gay rights activists will just want more. Now it's full gay marriage or nothing.

RegularJoe: to put it bluntly, you're full of shite. The civil rights movement of the 1960s is analagous to the movement for complete equality for gays today. In both cases the bigots want(ed) to deny basic human rights to people simply for who they are(were).

Concerns about children raised by same-sex parents are valid, but the key here is that they will be in the minority, and so the perhaps less than ideal conditions under which they are raised are far outweighed by the less than ideal conditions under which are raised childen in broken homes. Clearly, far, far more children are living in homes commandeered by hair-raisingly unqualified hetero parents, singular or plural, than will be by homo parents.

Andrew Sullivan put it about right: Britney Spears got married in Vegas on a lark. The marriage lasted a few days, and then it was annulled. She made a mockery of marriage. But two gay people in a committed relationship cannot enjoy the right that she so frivolously makes a mockery of? Ridiculous.

RegularJoe wrote:As far as NAMBLA goes, it's a secondary issue but it shows what will happen when the civil rights argument is hijacked (as it has been for gay marriage) to support other groups.

Consenting adults.

Perhaps you don't read too good. Let me spell it out for you:

C-O-N-S-E-N-T-I-N-G

A-D-U-L-T-S.

By the way, this is creepy.
Forumosan avatar
rousseau
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

1 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to LGBT Forum