Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Re: Gays in America

A forum for discussing gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender-related issues, both specific to Taiwan and in general. This forum welcomes people of all sexual orientations to participate and share their opinions and experiences in a mature and safe environment.

Moderator: John

Postby LittleBuddhaTW » 12 Oct 2005, 07:12

Here is an interesting article from the 10/10/2005 issue of Time magazine that talks about how life is for gay teenagers in America now ... quite different than just a few years ago. Definitely an interesting read ...

http://www.time.com/time/archive/previe ... 56,00.html

Even though I'm only 27 (although I feel about 40 :lol: ), I don't even remember this kind of tolerance back when I was in high school. It was obviously much different in college, but things seem to be changing very fast, which I think is a good sign.

The article is definitely a good read! :rainbow:
"Rude, vile pigs!" -- Elton John (screamed at the Taiwanese media in September 2004)
Forumosan avatar
LittleBuddhaTW
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby mod lang » 12 Oct 2005, 13:29

Kids still call each other "fags!" in the highschools of Taiwan, though.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who do not have it."
-- George Bernard Shaw

Show me a cultural relativist at thirty thousand feet and I'll show you a hypocrite. Airplanes are built according to scientific principles and they work. They stay aloft and they get you to a chosen destination. Airplanes built to tribal or mythological specifications such as the dummy planes of the Cargo cults in jungle clearings or the bees-waxed wings of Icarus don't.
mod lang
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

Postby LittleBuddhaTW » 12 Oct 2005, 21:04

mod lang wrote:Kids still call each other "fags!" in the highschools of Taiwan, though.

Actually, I've found Taiwanese high schoolers to be much, much more tolerant of gays than when I was in high school in the States (back in the dark ages :lol: ). Sure, a lot of joking goes on, but most of it is in jest, and I think the problem lies not with acceptance by one's peers, but rather their families.
"Rude, vile pigs!" -- Elton John (screamed at the Taiwanese media in September 2004)
Forumosan avatar
LittleBuddhaTW

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby wipt » 12 Oct 2005, 21:13

Kids in America often call other kids 'fags' without even thinking about what it means. Seems to me that they have a lot of other not-so-nice things to call the real queers.
never say never
wipt
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Frost » 12 Oct 2005, 21:28

wipt wrote:Kids in America often call other kids 'fags' without even thinking about what it means.

Why would you call someone a cigarette?
Forumosan avatar
Frost
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

Postby bobepine » 12 Oct 2005, 23:16

LittleBuddhaTW wrote:Here is an interesting article from the 10/10/2005 issue of Time magazine that talks about how life is for gay teenagers in America now ... quite different than just a few years ago. Definitely an interesting read ...

http://www.time.com/time/archive/previe ... 56,00.html

Even though I'm only 27 (although I feel about 40 :lol: ), I don't even remember this kind of tolerance back when I was in high school. It was obviously much different in college, but things seem to be changing very fast, which I think is a good sign.

The article is definitely a good read! :rainbow:

I stubled on this show called "Queer eye for the straight guy" just recently. I'd agree LBT, things are changing at a fast pace. I can't see a show like that being broadcasted 10 years ago. Although I am not gay, I do agree that the change is positive. Homosexuality has been around for ages, no point in denying or repressing it. Besides, it does have benefits demographically speaking. :wink:

bobepine
bobepine

Postby mod lang » 12 Oct 2005, 23:20

bobepine wrote: Besides, it does have benefits demographically speaking. :wink:

Yes. More Chinese (and Indians) should be encouraged to go gay for this very reason. 1.2 billion is more than enough for any peoples.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who do not have it."
-- George Bernard Shaw

Show me a cultural relativist at thirty thousand feet and I'll show you a hypocrite. Airplanes are built according to scientific principles and they work. They stay aloft and they get you to a chosen destination. Airplanes built to tribal or mythological specifications such as the dummy planes of the Cargo cults in jungle clearings or the bees-waxed wings of Icarus don't.
mod lang

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to LGBT Forum