Disabled and Queer

A forum for discussing gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender-related issues, both specific to Taiwan and in general. This forum welcomes people of all sexual orientations to participate and share their opinions and experiences in a mature and safe environment.

Moderator: John

Disabled and Queer

Postby tango42 » 27 Sep 2008, 21:11

Watched the Gay Parade today.

Pretty much what I expected.

Except for the wheelchairs with the signs "Disabled and Queer".
“Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
tango42
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER
6 Recommends(s)
41 Recognized(s)

Re: Disabled and Queer

Postby Lo Bo To » 28 Sep 2008, 04:14

tango42 wrote:Watched the Gay Parade today.

Pretty much what I expected.

Except for the wheelchairs with the signs "Disabled and Queer".

What's your point?
Forumosan avatar
Lo Bo To
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

1 Recommends(s)
6 Recognized(s)

Postby urodacus » 28 Sep 2008, 11:11

disabled people are allowed to be gay too, you know. :rainbow:
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!

Too many people! Almost all of the world's problems are due to overpopulation. The rest are due to religion.

50% of the world's wild animals have disappeared in the last 50 years. Did you eat them, or eat their house?
Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

208 Recommends(s)
266 Recognized(s)

Postby Juba » 28 Sep 2008, 18:14

Perhaps the original poster is troubled by the word "queer." But the word was reclaimed long ago. When you take back a word and wear it proudly, it is no longer effective as an insult.
Forumosan avatar
Juba
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)

7 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby almas john » 28 Sep 2008, 18:16

Juba wrote:
When you take back a word and wear it proudly, it is no longer effective as an insult.

Reminds me of the word "convict" in Australia. They take it as more of a compliment than a slur. Sure is hard work insulting the swine.
almas john
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

24 Recommends(s)
60 Recognized(s)

Postby tango42 » 28 Sep 2008, 18:20

OP was no troubled by quote, nor had no point. Just an observation on a sign that is not seen very often.

Happy is as happy does.
“Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
tango42

ORIGINAL POSTER
6 Recommends(s)
41 Recognized(s)

Postby bismarck » 29 Sep 2008, 13:37

I had a post removed...

Any reason for that? Are we not allowed to poke fun at ourselves anymore?
World Champions 1995, 2007; Tri-Nations champions 1998, 2004, 2009; Grand Slam Champions 1912/13, 1931/32, 1951/52, 1960/61; Defeated British & Irish Lions 1903, 1924, 1938, 1962, 1968, 1980, 2009
Super 14 Champions 2007, 2009, 2010
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Second of all, as in all honeymoons, all is well until it is not. It is until the unexpected happens that you will see all grievances surface -ask anyone in any relationship. The girl can chew with her mouth open, that if you love her, you do not care. If you do not lover her, if her pinkie toe is half an inch deviant, the relationship is doomed. - Icon
Forumosan avatar
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

150 Recommends(s)
143 Recognized(s)

Postby TainanCowboy » 29 Sep 2008, 13:40

Like no one didn't see this storm in a bottle coming.... :roll:

Run away! run away!... :runaway:
"Pardon him, Theodotus; he is a barbarian and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature" --- "Caesar and Cleopatra"...G.B. Shaw
-----
Kid Rock - Born Free
-----
"The big sisters are usually hot, but the dads smell of alcohol and tobacco....and have dirty feet with dead toe nails in blue slippers. "...Bob_Honest on "The Culture"
------
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
------
Isaiah 40:31
Forumosan avatar
TainanCowboy
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

103 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

Postby archylgp » 29 Sep 2008, 14:29

Although vaguely related in the sense that this issue is touchy, my favorite bumper sticker for the Seattle area (liberal) is: "nuke the unborn gay baby whales". Not because I have anything against unborn gay baby whales, but because it seems to cross many of the the liberals' points of issue as well as one of the conservatives'. (By the way, I am a "centralist progressive".)
archylgp
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

150 Recommends(s)
30 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to LGBT Forum