Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

The Taiwanse "girl role guy role" couple?

A forum for discussing gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender-related issues, both specific to Taiwan and in general. This forum welcomes people of all sexual orientations to participate and share their opinions and experiences in a mature and safe environment.

Moderator: John

Postby BigJohn » 14 Apr 2008, 23:37

But, how about the idea that some girls kind of act lesbian for fun or to experiement with social personae, but aren't really into being truly lesbian? I have got that impression here, that acting tomboyish can be kind of a "I ain't no fuckin hello kitty" statement, or that a tomboyish and feminine pair of girls can be pairing or stronger and weaker styles between buddies, but not necessarily a sexual relationship. Then again, I am genuinely ignorant on the subject. Do you think my impression is correct or flawed?
Forumosan avatar
BigJohn
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

110 Recognized(s)

Postby bob » 14 Apr 2008, 23:50

BigJohn wrote:Do you think my impression is correct or flawed?

Yes.
bob
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

21 Recognized(s)

Re: lesbianism in Taiwan.

Postby alidarbac » 15 Apr 2008, 00:58

Tigerman wrote:
yamato wrote:I asked my girlfriend about this and she seemed equally clueless so does anyone know who these people are?

I'm not trying to be a prick... but, unless you're a lesbian, why do you care?

Because some people are curious about the world outside of their own personal existence. If being interested in learning and understanding cultural phenomenon around me is being "nosy," well, I'd rather be nosy and at least a little informed than completely oblivious and "polite." Myself, I like to read articles or watch documentaries about sub-culture different than my own, because I think to go through life without a least passing interest in how people might organize and live their lives differently than my own would be awfully dull.

I am not interested in their hand-holding, wardrobe or hairstyle choices.

On the other hand, I and other people are. Shocking as it may seem to you, people choose their wardrobe or hairstyles because they identify with and seek to fit into certain groups.

The first several times I saw couples like this, I was quite surprised since at first glance it seemed like they stuck so closely to traditional gender role. Other things I've wondered about: What's the Taiwanese gay male equivalent? Why does there seem to be such little reaction among "mainstream" society? The primary reason why I doubted that the dozens of couples I've seen like this walking through the night market were even lesbians was because other people I asked about had no idea. Is the fact that overt homophobia so less prevalent here in Taiwan than in the States because so many people are unaware of its existence?

Imagine if gays and lesbians made up 90% of the population and everywhere heterosexual couples went we were scrutinized and studied...

Yes, it would be very difficult to imagine being a minority living in a society where I was studied and scrutinized because my habits were different than those around me.
Forumosan avatar
alidarbac
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

4 Recommends(s)
6 Recognized(s)

Postby Tigerman » 15 Apr 2008, 06:34

alidarbac wrote:Shocking as it may seem to you, people choose their wardrobe or hairstyles because they identify with and seek to fit into certain groups.

Oh, I'm not shocked by this. I'm aware of this. I just don't understand a) the desire to fit into any certain group and b) the interest in those who desire to fit into any certain group (simply because of that desire or choice of wardrobe and or hairstyle).

That's all.

Carry on.
As it is, we seem to regard it as a positive objection to a reasoner that he has taken one side or the other. We regard it (in other words) as a positive objection to a reasoner that he has contrived to reach the object of his reasoning. We call a man a bigot or a slave of dogma because he is a thinker who has thought thoroughly and to a definite end.

Forumosan avatar
Tigerman
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

255 Recommends(s)
184 Recognized(s)

Postby yamato » 15 Apr 2008, 10:02

alidarbac wrote:
Tigerman wrote:
yamato wrote:I asked my girlfriend about this and she seemed equally clueless so does anyone know who these people are?

I'm not trying to be a prick... but, unless you're a lesbian, why do you care?

Because some people are curious about the world outside of their own personal existence. If being interested in learning and understanding cultural phenomenon around me is being "nosy," well, I'd rather be nosy and at least a little informed than completely oblivious and "polite." Myself, I like to read articles or watch documentaries about sub-culture different than my own, because I think to go through life without a least passing interest in how people might organize and live their lives differently than my own would be awfully dull.

Thanks for answering that for me :)

I'd hate to think that topics were off limits for discussions unless you had some personal stake!

Battery9 wrote:Sadly so....

When you are a lesbian here you need to choose whether you are a T or a P.(T=tomboy, P = Poa? meaning wife..or whatever)

The T's dress like boys, have short hair, hold their gfs hair while they puke, rub their necks, get jealous and territorial...bind their breasts (not bind, but have these funky bras they wear) etc etc

The Ps have loong hair. ... long nails( imagine how much action that poor T is getting...yup..not much)..impractical shoes, clothes, giggles.....the usual meimei bs.

and they walk hand in hand....and give each other little pecks....and the Ps blow up their cheeks when they get angry, and turn their back on the Ts..who then have to sortof grovel like a dog that did something wrong...

it's just terribly yuck and I'm terribly judgemental but having been stared at or blinked at with vague ' I think I may feel a thought coming' expressions when I answer 'I don't care' when I'm asked whether I'm T or P, or like Ts or Ps for SEVEN YEARS now....

I have every right to! :D

the fun thing about being lesbian is that you are equal..and then BAM..welcome to Taiwan... :loco:

I'm so glad you posted! some actual insight!

You couldn't hazard a guess at my other question could you, namely, what happens to these women when they get into their thirties?
yamato
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Mother Theresa » 15 Apr 2008, 10:20

What's with all the sociological discourse? I'm just looking for some hot teen lesbo pics.
"The internet is a monster over which we have no control. We can’t even turn it off." Jeremy Clarkson
Forumosan avatar
Mother Theresa
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

14 Recommends(s)
45 Recognized(s)

hmmm

Postby Battery9 » 15 Apr 2008, 12:43

when they get to their thirties?

I dunno...they try kissing using their tongues?

I find anything sexual in Taiwan insanely childlike. Once kissed a girl in a club and there was an applause. Goooooood gawdddd.
Battery9
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

27 Recognized(s)

Re: hmmm

Postby ichbinjenny » 15 Apr 2008, 20:53

Battery9 wrote:the fun thing about being lesbian is that you are equal..and then BAM..welcome to Taiwan... You're loco...

I agree, partially. back in the states, there's still that butch-femme hysteria which is similar to the T/P adherence here.

while I have been asked the T/P question way too many times lately, many taiwanese lesbians I know don't care about the stereotype. many consider the roles in a relationship to be fluid, and will change their role based on who they are currently dating. one good friend took a stronger role with her last girlfriend because that girl was more girly, but now is the one being taken care of because her current girlfriend is more sucessful and stronger than she is. that said,

now, regarding any gender identity questioning, I do not feel this is the case here. women who dress like T's are confident in their look and for the most part (as far as my experience goes) are just dressing the way they feel most comfortable.

battery9, correct me if im wrong, but even the most T girl out there won't tell you she's a T unless she knows you're in the club. there might be a girl clinging to her side, but she'll still just tell you it's "her style" and nothing more.
*Wilsen Publishing*
Importer of fine stationery (greeting cards, birthday cards, journals, notebooks, calendars) from the US and Canada
Publisher of EFL and Chinese-language learning books
http://www.wilsenpublishing.com | 04-2301-3662
ichbinjenny
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

29 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Postby bob » 15 Apr 2008, 23:53

I've been reading this thread wondering "why am I reading this thread? " when suddenly it occured to me, I have a question! It has been asked before, by greater minds than my own but I'd like to ask it again anyway, here it is....

"Why can't women who act like men act like nice men?"

Perhaps they do act like nice men and I am so clueless I never caught on.

Feel free. My ignorance is boundless.
bob

21 Recognized(s)

Postby yamato » 16 Apr 2008, 12:01

bob wrote:I've been reading this thread wondering "why am I reading this thread? " when suddenly it occured to me, I have a question! It has been asked before, by greater minds than my own but I'd like to ask it again anyway, here it is....

"Why can't women who act like men act like nice men?"

Perhaps they do act like nice men and I am so clueless I never caught on.

Feel free. My ignorance is boundless.

great question!

I've noticed this too. It seems the T's replicate an idealised version of masculinity which is as detached from realities as that of 'camp' men being like women is.
yamato

ORIGINAL POSTER

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to LGBT Forum