Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

LGBTQ friendlies

A forum for discussing gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender-related issues, both specific to Taiwan and in general. This forum welcomes people of all sexual orientations to participate and share their opinions and experiences in a mature and safe environment.

Moderator: John

LGBTQ friendlies

Postby jademushroom » 19 May 2011, 20:16

Just wondering where's a good spot someone can find other members of the LGBTQ community. I was told to go to Red House in Ximending last time, but it looked very lacking in gays. Granted it was also during the day...
Forumosan avatar
jademushroom
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: LGBTQ friendlies

Postby urodacus » 19 May 2011, 20:22

The old Sogo store at Zhongxiao Fuxing
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!
Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

196 Recommends(s)
251 Recognized(s)

Postby Dragonbones » 19 May 2011, 23:01

Hi jademushroom, and welcome to Forumosa! :)

There is one thread on Lesbian Hang-outs in Taipei, so for the L part you might start there. I'm not aware of a thread on the remaining 'letters' so perhaps this will be the start of it.
Now selling homestyle baked goods (cookies, brownies, baklava, pies, sourdough bread, whole-wheat sourdough bagels and cakes) made with many organic, fair-trade and/or local pesticide-free ingredients. Visit https://www.facebook.com/segoviaskitchen‎ or http://www.taiwanease.com/en/forums/pos ... tml#p92536 for info.
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

39 Recommends(s)
103 Recognized(s)

Postby naijeru » 20 May 2011, 06:35

Forgive me, what does the 'Q' refer to? I have not seen this before.
Forumosan avatar
naijeru
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

13 Recognized(s)

Postby ThreadKiller » 20 May 2011, 11:17

As far as I know the Q stands for "queer" or "questioning".

The Red Theater area is pretty damn GAY. Of course you need to try it at night.

Haven't been to a lesbian bar for years, but they are out there.

As far as gay bars go, I enjoy Fresh. Pretty quiet during the week, but all the floors will be open on Friday and Saturday. There are lots of big clubs which mainly cater to the gay crowd, but I like Fresh 'cos you can dance but can also just chill out in one of the small lounges or on the balcony.
"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here." (Melvin Udall)

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." (Denis Diderot)

"I believe there's nothing we can know except that we should be kind to each other and do what we can for people." (Katharine Hepburn)
Forumosan avatar
ThreadKiller
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

99 Recommends(s)
45 Recognized(s)

Postby ls918 » 20 May 2011, 13:23

Hello, I'm not sure which part of the LGBTQ letter crowd you're from, I'll just assume you're the G since someone recommended you to the Red House, sadly in Taiwan the LGBTQ crowd does not mingle as a whole but rather separately.

The Red House, or Ximending in general, during the day it is filled with junior high school kids, but at night the outdoor plaza is filled with men.
There's a LGBTQ bookstore called Gin Gin Bookstore, and about two doors away there's H*ours Cafe, a coffee shop with plenty of happy gay men every time I passed by.

I once been to a supposedly LGBTQ-friendly coffee shop near Shi-Da nightmarket called 米倉, but even with that giant rainbow flag hanging next to the door, all the patrons inside looked really straight to me, even at night.

Sorry I cannot be more helpful, but you can try the Taiwan Tongzhi Hotline, I believe they do provide such information, if you can't speak Chinese fluently ask a friend to call in for you :)
ls918
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

2 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby jademushroom » 20 May 2011, 19:33

Hey all, thanks for the responses!

I'm a bisexual female actually, and I'd just like to get a feel for the community. Not looking for date/hookup/relationship (I'm attached), just friends. I'm also a gay rights activist so any point in the right direction on what should be done in Taiwan would be nice too. I'm never happy unless I'm helping/fighting for people.

@naijeru Q tends to stand for Queer, which is both used on it's own gender identity, or as an umbrella term for the sexual and gender minorities as a whole, since LGBTQ usually isn't seen as encompassing of the entire community. I think some more letters goes LGBTQIAATSBQC.... [thinks for a bit] we call it an alphabet soup for a reason...
Forumosan avatar
jademushroom

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby ThreadKiller » 20 May 2011, 21:37

Welcome to Forumosa by the way, jademushroom!

Is918 was right in sending you in the direction of Gin Gin's Bookstore. I think the owner is quite involved in the rights movement. You will find lots of brochures about events and organizations (as well as some business cards for lesbian and gay hang-outs). Unfortunately, the link to the website doesn't seem to be working, but the info I can find is:

1/F No. 8, Alley 8, Lane 210, Roosevelt Road, Section 3,
中正區羅斯福路三段210巷8弄8號1樓

Vicinity:
Zhongzheng

Directions:
Close to Taipower Building MRT station

# 2364-2006

http://www.ginginbooks.com

Open:
11am-10pm daily

If you do go to Fresh (the club mentioned before), you'll probably feel quite relaxed. It's mostly gay guys, but women and non-homophobic straight guys feel quite comfortable there. Ask for Weber, the owner, and ask him for ideas about the LGBTQ community. He probably knows all there is to know.
"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here." (Melvin Udall)

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." (Denis Diderot)

"I believe there's nothing we can know except that we should be kind to each other and do what we can for people." (Katharine Hepburn)
Forumosan avatar
ThreadKiller

99 Recommends(s)
45 Recognized(s)

Postby HeyPharaoh » 21 May 2011, 16:06

Just to echo Threadkiller and ls918, for the gay scene definitely check out all the bars behind the Red House after dark.

My friend Yasmine and I stopped by for a drink one night and it was a blast, our waiter (he works at Cafe Dalida) was a riot. Definitely hilarious, plus their drinks were really good to top it off. = )

Hope you find everything you are looking for! Sorry I can't be more of a help! = )
Forumosan avatar
HeyPharaoh

Postby jademushroom » 21 May 2011, 16:18

I'd really like to find out some day time stuff too... I live in Shulin/Sanxia, which is really out of the city. So I probably can't go out at night at all, at least, until I learn how to drive.
Forumosan avatar
jademushroom

ORIGINAL POSTER

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to LGBT Forum