Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

LGBTQ friendlies

A forum for discussing gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender-related issues, both specific to Taiwan and in general. This forum welcomes people of all sexual orientations to participate and share their opinions and experiences in a mature and safe environment.

Moderator: John

Re: LGBTQ friendlies

Postby ThreadKiller » 22 May 2011, 01:16

Try Gin Gin's. The assistant at the bookstore will no doubt be able to inform you of any LGBTQ activities.

Can't think of any gay bars/ coffee shops (or straight ones for that matter) that will be rocking during the day. People (even non-heterosexuals) have jobs. :)
"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here." (Melvin Udall)

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." (Denis Diderot)

"I believe there's nothing we can know except that we should be kind to each other and do what we can for people." (Katharine Hepburn)
Forumosan avatar
ThreadKiller
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

99 Recommends(s)
45 Recognized(s)

Postby ls918 » 22 May 2011, 14:34

jademushroom wrote:I'm a bisexual female actually, and I'd just like to get a feel for the community. Not looking for date/hookup/relationship (I'm attached), just friends. I'm also a gay rights activist so any point in the right direction on what should be done in Taiwan would be nice too. I'm never happy unless I'm helping/fighting for people.

Oh, in that case, you can check out discovery channel's special on Taiwan's gay rights/culture issue: 彩虹大道, they interviewed some of the biggest influential people in the movement.
you can find the entire episode on youtube, but no English subtitles though.

Since you can only come to Taipei during the day, GinGin bookstore is the place to go, there's also a lot of LGBT organizations among universities campus now.
ls918
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

2 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby rozzypu » 24 May 2011, 01:09

you can also try www.twpride.net pretty sure pride could use some help, or at least point you to the right direction. :bow:
rozzypu
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

Postby olm » 24 May 2011, 10:21

HeyPharaoh wrote:Just to echo Threadkiller and ls918, for the gay scene definitely check out all the bars behind the Red House after dark.

My friend Yasmine and I stopped by for a drink one night and it was a blast, our waiter (he works at Cafe Dalida) was a riot. Definitely hilarious, plus their drinks were really good to top it off. = )

Yep, highly recommended area - even for (non-homophobic) straights. Just a great area to relax, have nice drinks (or even Alleycat's pizza), enjoy outdoor seating without nearby traffic. Heck, even my 70+yo parents enjoyed it :D
They shall grow not old
As we that are left grow old
Age shall not weary them
Nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun
And in the morning
We will remember them
Forumosan avatar
olm
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

Location: Scenic Bavaria, next to a former Messerschmitt factory
16 Recommends(s)
25 Recognized(s)

Postby carolgirl00 » 24 May 2011, 16:13

Hi Jademushroom, nice to meet you. I'm also new myself here. I identify as lesbian and hope to come to Taiwan this fall. Id also love to learn more about the scene and general workings of the LGBTQ community. Let me know if you get any more leads!
carolgirl00
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

1 Recommends(s)

Postby Battery9 » 30 May 2011, 22:45

Go on Facebook. Look for a club called Taboo. Pretty cool dance club..girls only. ALso look for Lezsmeeting..another cool group that throws parties. You can also find GinGins on facebook...That Red Square is PUMPING with gay men...and some lesbians .but always at night.
Battery9
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

27 Recognized(s)

Postby Fort Tiger » 19 Jun 2011, 06:47

jademushroom wrote:I'd really like to find out some day time stuff too... I live in Shulin/Sanxia, which is really out of the city. So I probably can't go out at night at all, at least, until I learn how to drive.

If others on this board could help me out, but I believe Shulin is only about a 40 minute train ride away from all the action. That's not very far at all.
Nothing beats the rush of an adventure, especially when the end is unknown!
Fort Tiger

Postby olm » 25 Jun 2011, 22:34

Battery9 wrote:Go on Facebook. Look for a club called Taboo. Pretty cool dance club..girls only.

"Girls only" is not entirely true (maybe depends on the day of the week?), as I found out yesterday when some friends took me there :) Ok, I must admit I am not sure if I was the only guy there... there might or might not have been more. Actually a pretty nice place. Less drunk male assholes, fewer super slutty dressing ugly girls. Very young crowd as far as I can tell, and the music is not 100% what I like (OK, there are not too many metal clubs around anyway).
They shall grow not old
Age shall not weary them
Nor the years condemn.
And in the morning
We will remember them
Forumosan avatar
olm

16 Recommends(s)
25 Recognized(s)

Postby Battery9 » 26 Jun 2011, 13:14

yeah, mainly girls though, boys need to be with at least 2 girls to get in and they need to pay more. You should have gone to Back to Spin last night. My ears are still burning from NIN.

Taboo is nice if you want to meet gay girls, but you have to pay for seating so it's a little wierd to stand around by yourself..nice to go with at least one more person if you're a newbie.
Battery9

27 Recognized(s)

Postby olm » 27 Jun 2011, 11:17

Battery9 wrote:yeah, mainly girls though, boys need to be with at least 2 girls to get in and they need to pay more. You should have gone to Back to Spin last night. My ears are still burning from NIN.

Taboo is nice if you want to meet gay girls, but you have to pay for seating so it's a little wierd to stand around by yourself..nice to go with at least one more person if you're a newbie.

Ah I see, makes sense that they don't want single or groups of guys in there :cool:

Anyway... Spin? I never heard of that (Ive only been only here for 3 years though), but googling it only yielded 2002-5ish things, with the last post on Forumosa I found mentioning "spin" being closed. I wouldn't mind at all treating my ears to a bit of NIN once in a while though. Can you please give me some hints where this place is?
They shall grow not old
Age shall not weary them
Nor the years condemn.
And in the morning
We will remember them
Forumosan avatar
olm

16 Recommends(s)
25 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to LGBT Forum