Other great forums (outside of Taiwan)

Welcome to the Open Forum - the discussion forum for topics that don't quite fit anywhere else. Fair warning: Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan, Rockefeller

Forum rules
Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Other great forums (outside of Taiwan)

Postby Tyc00n » 02 Jul 2011, 17:23

Specifically I'm looking for the 'Forumosa' of Brazil. Maybe my google search skills are off - but I found a few that didn't seem nearly as well managed and used as this.
Forumosan avatar
Tyc00n
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

ORIGINAL POSTER
2 Recognized(s)

Re: Other great forums (outside of Taiwan)

Postby TheAmericanNomad » 06 Jul 2011, 05:12

When I was still trying to decide what country I wanted to go to, I didn't find any forums as well managed as this place. Shanghai Expat was probably the most active, but that place is crazy. Trying to find a forum I could mine for information on other countries was neigh impossible. I wasn't looking at S.America, so maybe you'll find one, but I wouldn't hold out too much hope.
Forumosan avatar
TheAmericanNomad
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

7 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Postby NonTocareLeTete » 06 Jul 2011, 09:54

This is the first forum I've ever been a part of, and have since looked at other forums. Don't like any of them as well as I like forumosa- not sure if it's the moderation, the people or just familiarity, but either way, nice work forumosa mods.

PS can't tell you much about Brazilian forums, but if you go there you're sure to have fun!

This post was recommended by zender (06 Jul 2011, 11:20)
Rating: 4%
Forumosan avatar
NonTocareLeTete
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

163 Recommends(s)
223 Recognized(s)

Postby maoman » 06 Jul 2011, 19:35

Thanks, all of you! :notworthy:

I agree with you completely, but it's always nice to have one's feelings confirmed by others. Forumosa is a great site for many reasons, but good moderation is certainly one of them. Moderators, take a bow! :bravo:
Forumosan avatar
maoman

76 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby urodacus » 06 Jul 2011, 20:46

This is a good Brazilian forum.

not as good as forumosa, though.
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!

Too many people! Almost all of the world's problems are due to overpopulation. The rest are due to religion.

50% of the world's wild animals have disappeared in the last 50 years. Did you eat them, or eat their house?

This post was recommended by TheAmericanNomad (08 Jul 2011, 11:51)
Rating: 4%
Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

208 Recommends(s)
266 Recognized(s)

Postby Tyc00n » 08 Jul 2011, 19:15

This website just keeps on getting better. I just noticed the recommend post option. Its been a while since I've been on Forumosa!

I guess its this country's unique expat environment of relatively small number of foreigners, in a country which is mostly quite bizarre by anyone else's standards and non-english speaking, to allow for Forumosa to become so successful. It has contained within it - more information relevant to Taiwan for foreigners, than any other source.

I do miss Taiwan

maoman wrote:Thanks, all of you! :notworthy:

I agree with you completely, but it's always nice to have one's feelings confirmed by others. Forumosa is a great site for many reasons, but good moderation is certainly one of them. Moderators, take a bow! :bravo:
Forumosan avatar
Tyc00n

ORIGINAL POSTER
2 Recognized(s)

Postby Tyc00n » 11 Jul 2011, 17:18

Forumosan avatar
Tyc00n

ORIGINAL POSTER
2 Recognized(s)

Postby maoman » 11 Jul 2011, 18:32

This is a knitting forum, but it's really well run: http://www.ravelry.com

Goose Egg brought this article to my attention a few days ago:

A Tight-Knit Community
Why Facebook can't match Ravelry, the social network for knitters.

The best social network you've (probably) never heard of is one-five-hundredth the size of Facebook. It has no video chat feature, it doesn't let you check in to your favorite restaurant, and there are no games. The company that runs it has just four employees, one of whom is responsible for programming the entire operation. It has never taken any venture capital money and has no plans to go public. Despite these apparent shortcomings, the site's members absolutely adore it. They consider it a key part of their social lives, and they use it to forge deeper connections with strangers—and share more about themselves—than you're likely to see elsewhere online. There's a good chance this site isn't for you, but after you see how much fun people have there, you'll wish you had a similar online haunt. The social network is called Ravelry. It's for knitters (and crocheters).

Ravelry's success is evidence in favor of an argument that you often hear from Facebook's critics: A single giant social network is no fun. Social sites work better when they're smaller and bespoke, created to cater to a specific group. What makes Ravelry work so well is that, in addition to being a place to catch up with friends, it is also a boon to its users' favorite hobby—it helps people catalog their yarn, their favorite patterns, and the stuff they've made or plan on making. In other words, there is something to do there. And having something to do turns out to make an enormous difference in the way people interact with one another on the Web.

There's a lot we can learn from them.
Forumosan avatar
maoman

76 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby jimipresley » 11 Jul 2011, 19:29

I actually joined Ravelry, even though I wouldn't know which end to hold a knitting needle. It's truly impressive in its sense of community, and the interface is spectacular. :thumbsup:
You can live here and have a great life and not be the least bit into living the local life. Clowns will try to diss you for it saying you gotta get down with the program, but fuck em, treat this place like a buffet and yous be on a diet. Take what you want and nothing extra, slam those oysters, but leave the bread sticks and dinner rolls behind. - Deuce Dropper

I'm much more of a nasty rotter in real life, especially with vapid or vacuous verbiage from the ill read & intellectually challenged. - TheGingerMan

Don't be a cheap cunt. - Deuce Dropper
Forumosan avatar
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1020 Recommends(s)
385 Recognized(s)

Postby Charlie Phillips » 11 Jul 2011, 20:43

jimipresley wrote:I actually joined Ravelry, even though I wouldn't know which end to hold a knitting needle. It's truly impressive in its sense of community, and the interface is spectacular. :thumbsup:

Once you merge your knitting abilities with your chopstick abilities, you'll be able to knit two doilies at once.

:whistle:
"Why do you want gas? It's hot. You can have cold showers" ~gas delivery man height of summer, 2010.

"Why you wear so many clothes? You are foreigner. Foreign countries are cold." buxiban owner, depth of winter 2011.
Forumosan avatar
Charlie Phillips
Mahjong Maniac (májiàng mí)
Mahjong Maniac (májiàng mí)

83 Recommends(s)
164 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 23 Mar 2003

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Open Forum