[Closed] Is there an academic in the house?!

Welcome to the Open Forum - the discussion forum for topics that don't quite fit anywhere else. Fair warning: Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Moderators: TheGingerMan, Rockefeller

Forum rules
Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Re: Is there an academic in the house?!

Postby Charlie Phillips » 24 Jul 2011, 02:05

ironlady wrote:To submit an article to a journal, you should obtain copies of articles that have been published in that particular journal, and model your article on them in terms of structure, content, and length.

That just about sums up everything that's wrong about academia and why it's so boring to read academic journals. :wink:

Bugger original content; just follow the herd.
"Why do you want gas? It's hot. You can have cold showers" ~gas delivery man height of summer, 2010.

"Why you wear so many clothes? You are foreigner. Foreign countries are cold." buxiban owner, depth of winter 2011.
Forumosan avatar
Charlie Phillips
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

73 Recommends(s)
145 Recognized(s)

Postby zyzzx » 24 Jul 2011, 03:31

I'm in the sciences, not political science, so I may be off base, but a literature review section of a few pages seems awfully long to me. In my field we will give an introduction to the problem or area (citing often along the way), and we will mention previous work if it's something that we're building on, modifying, or comparing to. So some of it might go in the intro, some in the methods, some in the discussion, etc. Generally, papers mentioned don't get more than a sentence or two, and often a lot of citations are lumped together (ie. "over the past 20 years, the relationship between x and y has been increasingly recognized (cite 7 papers)"). This creates something of a lit review, but it isn't presented or really organized as such. You shouldn't present a lit review just to present a lit review. Construct your argument and mention and cite previous work as it relates to what you're doing.

As to reviewers that don't get it, I've had a few of those. It can be frustrating, but remember that although you know your point inside and out, the readers are starting from zero. If one person doesn't get it, chances are good that other readers won't get it either. Now the reviewer might be an idiot, but it's more likely that your article/argument is not as clear as you think it is. That being said, you should also get to respond to the editor, and if you think that the reviewer is really unreasonable on something, you can say in the letter why you are not listening to their suggestion, as long as you have a good argument. Reviewers are sometimes out to lunch, and may have their own agendas, so as Urodacus says, you don't have to follow slavishly, but if you already know that the editor agrees with the reviewer, then you'd really better listen.

Anyway, good luck with it!
Forumosan avatar
zyzzx
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

10 Recognized(s)

Postby urodacus » 24 Jul 2011, 08:13

Charlie Phillips wrote:That just about sums up everything that's wrong about academia and why it's so boring to read academic journals. :wink:

I take it you're referring to the arts side of the spectrum with that comment.

you simply cannot get anything published in the sciences that is not 100% totally original. not even a single datum can be a repeat of another paper... but then you knew that.
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!
Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

169 Recommends(s)
216 Recognized(s)

Postby Lili » 24 Jul 2011, 08:47

urodacus wrote:
Charlie Phillips wrote:That just about sums up everything that's wrong about academia and why it's so boring to read academic journals. :wink:

I take it you're referring to the arts side of the spectrum with that comment.

you simply cannot get anything published in the sciences that is not 100% totally original. not even a single datum can be a repeat of another paper... but then you knew that.

Yea.
Seems to be the opposite in the social sciences :beer:
"I wanted to be puzzled and charmed, to experience the endless, beguiling variety of a continent where you can board a train and an hour later be somewhere where the inhabitants speak a different language, eat different foods, work different hours, live lives that are at once so different and yet so oddly similar. I wanted to be a tourist," Bill Bryson.
"...But I ended up in Taiwan," Lili.

Never underestimate how much assistance,
how much satisfaction,
how much comfort,
how much soul and transcendence there might be
in a cold bottle of beer.
-Tom Robbins
Forumosan avatar
Lili
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
21 Recommends(s)
23 Recognized(s)

Postby anbeck » 31 Jul 2011, 13:14

Might I ask which Journal it is (or just an insider-hint, if you don't want to mention names)?
http://www.photografree.net
Music and protest photography.
anbeck
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby Lili » 31 Jul 2011, 13:59

anbeck wrote:Might I ask which Journal it is (or just an insider-hint, if you don't want to mention names)?

Small Wars and Insurgencies

Yea uh this is basically closed, thanks all!
"I wanted to be puzzled and charmed, to experience the endless, beguiling variety of a continent where you can board a train and an hour later be somewhere where the inhabitants speak a different language, eat different foods, work different hours, live lives that are at once so different and yet so oddly similar. I wanted to be a tourist," Bill Bryson.
"...But I ended up in Taiwan," Lili.

Never underestimate how much assistance,
how much satisfaction,
how much comfort,
how much soul and transcendence there might be
in a cold bottle of beer.
-Tom Robbins
Forumosan avatar
Lili

ORIGINAL POSTER
21 Recommends(s)
23 Recognized(s)

Postby Impaler » 31 Jul 2011, 14:33

Lili wrote:Seems to be the opposite in the social sciences :beer:

Well, that's because the social "sciences" aren't.
It's amazing what getting out of the care of the Scottish National Health Service can do for your life expectancy.

"Mostly, nature looks after itself, if you let it. If you arrange things correctly, nature will do all the hard work for you, but it takes a lot of careful thought, planning, attention to detail, and a little experimentation. In other words, we're all doomed." -- finley
Forumosan avatar
Impaler
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

2 Recommends(s)
37 Recognized(s)

Postby TainanCowboy » 31 Jul 2011, 18:43

Lili wrote:
anbeck wrote:Might I ask which Journal it is (or just an insider-hint, if you don't want to mention names)?

Small Wars and Insurgencies

Send 'em US$50 and get one for barroom challenges....

p.s.- I know you're referring to the Taylor & Francis publication- j/k
"Pardon him, Theodotus; he is a barbarian and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature" --- "Caesar and Cleopatra"...G.B. Shaw
-----
Kid Rock - Born Free
-----
"The big sisters are usually hot, but the dads smell of alcohol and tobacco....and have dirty feet with dead toe nails in blue slippers. "...Bob_Honest on "The Culture"
------
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
------
Isaiah 40:31
Forumosan avatar
TainanCowboy
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

103 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

Postby anbeck » 01 Aug 2011, 19:10

Lili wrote:

Oh, sorry, hadn't realized that :lol:
http://www.photografree.net
Music and protest photography.
anbeck

Previous

x

Return to Open Forum