Hooray for Australia!

Welcome to the Open Forum - the discussion forum for topics that don't quite fit anywhere else. Fair warning: Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan, Rockefeller

Forum rules
Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Re: Hooray for Australia!

Postby cyborg_ninja » 20 Jan 2012, 20:46

Charlie Phillips wrote:
cyborg_ninja wrote:getting drunk on australia day :cool: :cool: :cool:

only realy australian way to celebrate the day of federation.

:eh: Australia day is not a celebration of Federation.

January 26 is the celebration of the arrival of the first fleet. Everyone got rolling drunk and had a great time till they woke up with a spitting headache the next morning, looked around and said 'Where the fuck are we?'

my bad thats jan 1. as a real aussie, I don't know much about the birth of our nation.
cyborg_ninja
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

4 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby Charlie Phillips » 20 Jan 2012, 21:22

cyborg_ninja wrote:
Charlie Phillips wrote:

January 26 is the celebration of the arrival of the first fleet. Everyone got rolling drunk and had a great time till they woke up with a spitting headache the next morning, looked around and said 'Where the fuck are we?'

my bad thats jan 1. as a real aussie, I don't know much about the birth of our nation.

What's a 'real aussie' ? I have a piece of paper is all.
"Why do you want gas? It's hot. You can have cold showers" ~gas delivery man height of summer, 2010.

"Why you wear so many clothes? You are foreigner. Foreign countries are cold." buxiban owner, depth of winter 2011.
Forumosan avatar
Charlie Phillips
Mahjong Maniac (májiàng mí)
Mahjong Maniac (májiàng mí)

83 Recommends(s)
164 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 23 Mar 2003

Postby teggs » 20 Jan 2012, 21:38

Well they gave us the AFL.. my favorite sport to watch. :notworthy:
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.
Plato (427 BC - 347 BC)
teggs
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

3 Recognized(s)

Postby antarcticbeech » 20 Jan 2012, 22:46

I think most Australians are quite confident with their national identity.

Lucky is the word I would use to describe it. I feel very lucky to be Australian.

Anyway, it's Friday. I'm embracing my Aussie, German and Pommy Cunt (I'm 50% PC) heritage and having a beer. :beer:
X
Forumosan avatar
antarcticbeech
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

162 Recommends(s)
161 Recognized(s)

Postby cyborg_ninja » 21 Jan 2012, 00:34

Charlie Phillips wrote:
cyborg_ninja wrote:
Charlie Phillips wrote:

What's a 'real aussie' ? I have a piece of paper is all.

real australian aye.
cyborg_ninja

4 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby Gman » 22 Jan 2012, 14:48

Never been to the place but I like how they deal with idiots;

It's a set of questions and answers that actually appeared on an Australian tourism website. It's nice to see a government agency that doesn't take itself too seriously.

Note that the nationality of the person asking the question is indicated in parentheses.

Q: Does it ever get windy in Australia? I have never seen it rain on TV, how do the plants grow? (UK)
A: We import all plants fully grown and then just sit around watching them die.

Q: Will I be able to see kangaroos in the street? (USA)
A: Depends how much you've been drinking.

Q: I want to walk from Perth to Sydney - can I follow the railroad tracks? (Sweden)
A: Sure, it's only three thousand miles. Take lots of water.

Q: Are there any ATMs (cash machines) in Australia? Can you send me a list of them in Brisbane, Cairns, Townsville and Hervey Bay? (UK)
A: What did your last slave die of?

Q: Can you give me some information about hippo racing in Australia? (USA)
A: A-fri-ca is the big, triangle-shaped continent south of Europe.
Aus-tra-lia is that big island in the middle of the Pacific, which does not...
Oh, forget it. Sure, the hippo racing is every Tuesday night in King's Cross. Come naked.

Q: Which direction is north in Australia? (USA)
A: Face south, and then turn 180 degrees. Contact us when you get here, and we'll send the rest of the directions.

Q: Can I bring cutlery into Australia? (UK)
A: Why? Just use your fingers like we do.

Q: Can you send me the Vienna Boys' Choir schedule? (USA)
A: Aus-tri-a is that quaint little country bordering Ger-man-y, which is...
Oh, forget it. Sure, the Vienna Boys' Choir plays every Tuesday night in King's Cross, straight after the hippo races. Come naked.

Q: Can I wear high heels in Australia? (UK)
A: You are a British politician, right?

Q: Are there supermarkets in Sydney, and is milk available all year round? (Germany)
A: No, we are a peaceful civilization of vegan hunter/gatherers. Milk is illegal.

Q: Please send a list of all doctors in Australia who can dispense rattlesnake serum. (USA)
A: Rattlesnakes live in A-meri-ca, which is where YOU come from. All Australian snakes are perfectly harmless, can be safely handled, and make good pets.

Q: I have a question about a famous animal in Australia, but I forget its name. It's a kind of bear and lives in trees. (USA)
A: It's called a Drop Bear. They are so called because they drop out of gum trees and eat the brains of anyone walking underneath them. You can scare them off by spraying yourself with human urine before you go out walking.

Q: I have developed a new product that is the fountain of youth. Can you tell me where I can sell it in Australia? (USA)
A: Anywhere significant numbers of Americans gather.

Q: Do you celebrate Christmas in Australia? (France)
A: Only at Christmas.

Q: Will I be able to speak English most places I go? (USA)
A: Yes, but you'll have to learn it first.

This post was recommended by saddletramp (23 Jan 2012, 21:21)
Rating: 4%
Gman
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

30 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby urodacus » 22 Jan 2012, 15:17

jimipresley wrote:
urodacus wrote:Plus, we gave the world Vegemite.

Bollocks. The Kiwis stole the Marmite recipe from the poms, you stole it from them, and relabeled it. Bloody crims.

Vegemite is heaps better than Marmite. Marmite sucks, Vegemite rocks.

the Kiwis and the Poms can keep their pissy little jars of Marmite.

What you did give us, however, was Nick Cave and Rolf Harris, and the greatest leg-spinner in the history of cricket. Oh, and let's not forget Donald Bradman.

true.

Rolf Harris was a free giveaway, mate. We couldn't stand the smarmy little prick.
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!

Too many people! Almost all of the world's problems are due to overpopulation. The rest are due to religion.

50% of the world's wild animals have disappeared in the last 50 years. Did you eat them, or eat their house?
Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

208 Recommends(s)
266 Recognized(s)

Postby Fox » 22 Jan 2012, 16:48

Sam Kekovich is something good about Australia.
"When liberty comes with hands dabbled in blood it is hard to shake hands with her." Wilde

"I don't know where the sun beams end and the star light begins. It's all a mystery." Flaming Lips

"a man's position here is not ruled so much by what he can earn as by what he can owe and still remain at large." Letters of a Shanghai Griffin

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." George Carlin

The American oligarchy spares no pains in promoting the belief that it does not exist, but the success of its disappearing act depends on equally strenuous efforts on the part of an American public anxious to believe in egalitarian fictions and unwilling to see what is hidden in plain sight.
redbubble
http://www.planetediting.com
Forumosan avatar
Fox
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

63 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby Steviebike » 22 Jan 2012, 16:52

Three cheers for Crocodile Dundee!
Just checking but you're a South African Engrish Teachur right? No. I'm a Russian nuclear physicist.
Forumosan avatar
Steviebike
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

70 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby urodacus » 22 Jan 2012, 17:19

... and today Barrie Humphries wins Australian of the Year in the Yook.

Awesome!
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!

Too many people! Almost all of the world's problems are due to overpopulation. The rest are due to religion.

50% of the world's wild animals have disappeared in the last 50 years. Did you eat them, or eat their house?
Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

208 Recommends(s)
266 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Open Forum