Flashmob discussion

Welcome to the Open Forum - the discussion forum for topics that don't quite fit anywhere else. Fair warning: Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan, Rockefeller

Forum rules
Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Re: Flashmob on Saturday

Postby jdsmith » 14 Feb 2012, 16:59

From the rules which I accidentally just read:
As we wish to encourage people to post their events here, negative commentary isn't welcome in the Events forums. You are, however, more than welcome to post the same debate-encouraging negative criticism of bands, artists, etc. in the Arts & Entertainment or other appropriate forums.

And again NONE of these ways have been mentioned. How specifically can the original poster better spread awareness amongst people in Taipei about the educational inequalities which some children have to contend with?

Ya know, maybe they should have thought of that beforehand, like, on their own. :grandpa:
Your warning level: [1]
Forumosan avatar
jdsmith
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

56 Recognized(s)

Postby superking » 14 Feb 2012, 17:02

almas john wrote:Don't try and change the subject Superking.
You're defending dropping trousers and dancing as being a hero for the poor. But if you want to go that route, perhaps you can kick off with what you do to help the needy.
Sandman is spot on. It's a wankfest. I previously referred to it as drivel, childish drivel. I was being kind. I should have called it drivelwank.
Superking, in many ways you coming in to defend the OP is commendable. Sometimes you see a newbie taking lots of hits. It's just one or two posts per attacker but the weight of numbers make it look like a kicking.
You've picked the wrong time to play the card.
And, anyway, when intelligent newbies turn up here, they actually get treated quite well.
Rather than criticize long-term members, I would work on your own game.

I am defending their right to want to try to do something. I am attacking the negative manner in which that has been dealt with. If you think it's a daft idea, maybe you could offer a constructive solution. If you think it is a daft idea maybe you could find out what they are doing and help them to improve the idea. Basically in real life we don't all walk about with our dicks out, pissing freely on other peoples shoes, but we seem to feel it is quite acceptable to do so here.

I do close, to fuck all, to help the needy. I don't mind being honest about that.
There are millions of people in the world. And none of those people is an extra. They're all leads in their own stories.

If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced. That's why people with no sense of humour have an increased sense of self-importance.
superking
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

93 Recommends(s)
343 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 14 Feb 2012, 17:04

maybe you could offer a constructive solution.

A few phone calls. Many of the numbers can be found on this very site. All of the solutions require actual effort. None of them require the baring of the genitals. For FUCKS sakes! :roll:
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby superking » 14 Feb 2012, 17:05

jdsmith wrote:Ya know, maybe they should have thought of that beforehand, like, on their own. :grandpa:

You didn't learn that being a teacher I hope, fella. :lol:
There are millions of people in the world. And none of those people is an extra. They're all leads in their own stories.

If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced. That's why people with no sense of humour have an increased sense of self-importance.
superking

93 Recommends(s)
343 Recognized(s)

Postby almas john » 14 Feb 2012, 17:09

superking wrote:And again NONE of these ways have been mentioned. How specifically can the original poster better spread awareness amongst people in Taipei about the educational inequalities which some children have to contend with?

CD, this thread has allowed you to re-open two old banning wounds though, and probably motivated your re-opening of a third in the feedback forum. So it has been quite good at raising awareness about the shocking and inhumane treatment you have received in the past. :p

You're fucking joking right? Local people need whitey to give them awareness?? Um, people have awareness, especially the poor who are unable to afford extra-curricula classes for their kids.
The solution is simple; teach poor kids for free. As one person, you can easily impact a dozen kids. Not only will their English grades improve (no small thing seeing as English is a core subject) but the pride and confidence that comes from this carries over to other subjects.
To have a baker or mechanic wonder how he can help educationally deprived kids is one thing, but an English teacher?

And you don't need the govt or an organization - you just ask around people you know. Really fucking simple.
almas john
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

24 Recommends(s)
60 Recognized(s)

Postby superking » 14 Feb 2012, 17:10

sandman wrote:
maybe you could offer a constructive solution.

A few phone calls. Many of the numbers can be found on this very site. All of the solutions require actual effort. None of them require the baring of the genitals. For FUCKS sakes! :roll:

Then just say that in the first place. There is no need for you to put on your favourite skirt and high heels and clomp up and down in such a manner is there? Your exasperation at the world won't stop it spinning, darling. And nobody has said you need to bare your genitals. You arrive outside in a suit, you go inside and reveal shorts or swimming trunks.
Is there some connection between today being valentines day and your anger about genitalia? :D

superking

93 Recommends(s)
343 Recognized(s)

Postby superking » 14 Feb 2012, 17:17

almas john wrote:
superking wrote:And again NONE of these ways have been mentioned. How specifically can the original poster better spread awareness amongst people in Taipei about the educational inequalities which some children have to contend with?

CD, this thread has allowed you to re-open two old banning wounds though, and probably motivated your re-opening of a third in the feedback forum. So it has been quite good at raising awareness about the shocking and inhumane treatment you have received in the past. :p

You're fucking joking right? Local people need whitey to give them awareness?? Um, people have awareness, especially the poor who are unable to afford extra-curricula classes for their kids.
The solution is simple; teach poor kids for free. As one person, you can easily impact a dozen kids. Not only will their English grades improve (no small thing seeing as English is a core subject) but the pride and confidence that comes from this carries over to other subjects.
To have a baker or mechanic wonder how he can help educationally deprived kids is one thing, but an English teacher?

And you don't need the govt or an organization - you just ask around people you know. Really fucking simple.

Do we know the OP is an English teacher? Sounds more like a local. Is this only about improving the English ability of those with less money? No. Do we know how old the OP is? No. Maybe this is an 18 year old who has some ideals, and is trying something out. Does one person teaching 12 kids English really raise public awareness? No. But I admit it will help those 12 kids. But there are 1000's of kids. Taipei residents and govt obviously don't care enough to sort this issue out, so someone is trying to raise awareness.

Am I just not grasping something obvious here, or is there really such a need to rag on the efforts of one person to improve the lives of others? You might not want to go and dance about in your gym kit, and maybe nobody will do anything about this issue, but how do you know it won't spur them on to go and do something MORE productive about it? You don't. So I come back to the issue about how you raise your own children. Do you piss on their efforts because they are not the best things you have seen/imagined? Or do you encourage them in the hope that some praise will spur them on to try greater things.

You guys are glass half full.. of piss... today. I'm just pointing that out.

superking

93 Recommends(s)
343 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 14 Feb 2012, 17:19

Don't you even DARE to associate me with genitalia, dammit. I'm fucking MARRIED!
No, I just would like for people who want to help to actually HELP. All that effort for a bunch of schoolkid shite? Go channel that energy into something. Something USEFUL. That is all.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby superking » 14 Feb 2012, 17:26

sandman wrote:Don't you even DARE to associate me with genitalia, dammit. I'm fucking MARRIED!
No, I just would like for people who want to help to actually HELP. All that effort for a bunch of schoolkid shite? Go channel that energy into something. Something USEFUL. That is all.

Well I can agree with you there. Perhaps these guys would be better lobbying some politician or putting up flyers around the city than dancing about in their gym kit. Hopefully, if this event doesn't do as much to raise awareness as they hoped they will brainstorm some more effective strategies. It might just become and internet sensation though and start an educational revolution. I share your scepticism, but applaud their desires.

This post was recommended by Joesox (15 Feb 2012, 11:43)
Rating: 4%
superking

93 Recommends(s)
343 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 14 Feb 2012, 17:43

Interestingly, teaching poor kids for free would violate the terms of your ARC (unless you have permanent residence) and could theoretically get you kicked out of the country.

Now there's something people ought to be waving their willies about.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

858 Recommends(s)
657 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Open Forum