When you feel life handed you a bad deck

Welcome to the Open Forum - the discussion forum for topics that don't quite fit anywhere else. Fair warning: Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan, Rockefeller

Forum rules
Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Postby tommy525 » 18 Feb 2012, 23:15

I remember going to the gym one day and seeing this dude working out and realizing he had two artificial limbs. And then on another occasion discovering that he also has two artificial legs, but there he was working out just like anyone else.

That made me feel that I got nothing to complain bout really.

NOw this guy, iv seen a few youtube clips of, but its good to be reminded how one guy got really a rough deck of cards but made a life out of it worth living, best he can.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -life.html

And then you see and hear about suicides of young people with healthy bodies who can not get over a major event. And im not laughing. Sometimes life hands one a tuff one. But its double sad that they dint get the motivation they needed to live life.

When i lived in very crowded Taipei, one of the good things about wandering around say Ximending was that you see all those people. Some are happy, some are sad at a particular point in time, but we are all human. Subject to many of the same desires/wants/expectations/hopes/despairs/injuries/happiness/sadness et al.
Savage - what a nice performance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMCMjEb68ds

This post was recommended by 2 Forumosans: Enigma (25 Jun 2012, 17:11), sandman (23 Feb 2012, 11:04)
Rating: 11.76%
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
566 Recommends(s)
360 Recognized(s)

Re: When you feel life handed you a bad deck

Postby Super Hans » 18 Feb 2012, 23:53

One of the many sides of tommy that make him such a likeable character.
The bones got the wrong detail I hoped it would have for you
Safe for a shin bone or even a hand
It's such a lonely ride...
Forumosan avatar
Super Hans
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

42 Recommends(s)
149 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 19 Feb 2012, 00:06

When the world throws you a Jeffrey, stroke a furry wall.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

728 Recognized(s)

Postby superking » 23 Feb 2012, 02:30

Muzha Man wrote:When the world throws you a Jeffrey, stroke a furry wall.

You know I would LOVE to have a bang on a Jeffrey. That film sucked so bad, but The Jeffrey was a moment of pure inspiration. Image
There are millions of people in the world. And none of those people is an extra. They're all leads in their own stories.

If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced. That's why people with no sense of humour have an increased sense of self-importance.
superking
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

84 Recommends(s)
318 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 23 Feb 2012, 02:43

can someone translate all that into English per favore?? Us 'merkins dont understand jeffreys and furrywalls?? The F is that? :lol:

Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
566 Recommends(s)
360 Recognized(s)

Postby NonTocareLeTete » 23 Feb 2012, 02:55

Watch the film "Get Him to the Greek"
And superking I find it hard to trust anyone who didn't love that movie, I think it's great
Nice post, too, Tommy. I agree, every time I'm bummed out about something I just have to look around to realize how good I have it.
NonTocareLeTete
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

125 Recommends(s)
165 Recognized(s)

Postby superking » 23 Feb 2012, 03:55

NonTocareLeTete wrote:Watch the film "Get Him to the Greek"
And superking I find it hard to trust anyone who didn't love that movie, I think it's great
Nice post, too, Tommy. I agree, every time I'm bummed out about something I just have to look around to realize how good I have it.

I wouldn't advise anyone to trust me either NTLT. :D To be honest I am not a big fan of the Brand, which may be why I thought the film sucked. I thought Due Date was practically the same film only done better. However, I do find myself having a good chuckle about the Jeffrey scene from time to time.

Oh yeah, NSFW.
There are millions of people in the world. And none of those people is an extra. They're all leads in their own stories.

If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced. That's why people with no sense of humour have an increased sense of self-importance.
superking

84 Recommends(s)
318 Recognized(s)

Postby crystaleye » 06 Mar 2012, 17:48

tommy525 wrote:I remember going to the gym one day and seeing this dude working out and realizing he had two artificial limbs. And then on another occasion discovering that he also has two artificial legs, but there he was working out just like anyone else.

That made me feel that I got nothing to complain bout really.

NOw this guy, iv seen a few youtube clips of, but its good to be reminded how one guy got really a rough deck of cards but made a life out of it worth living, best he can.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -life.html

And then you see and hear about suicides of young people with healthy bodies who can not get over a major event. And im not laughing. Sometimes life hands one a tuff one. But its double sad that they dint get the motivation they needed to live life.

When i lived in very crowded Taipei, one of the good things about wandering around say Ximending was that you see all those people. Some are happy, some are sad at a particular point in time, but we are all human. Subject to many of the same desires/wants/expectations/hopes/despairs/injuries/happiness/sadness et al.

If a soldier is captured by the enemy and he is being tortured aka Guantanamo Style.. do you think that soldier has the right to commit suicide?

Come to think of it.. soldiers have healthier and stronger bodies than most youngsters out there yet a healthy and strong body is no guarantee of success in war .. or life..

I think the whole world needs to acknowledge the fact that life in this world as we know it is pretty shitty..
The war is mine!

這局我贏定了!
crystaleye
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

34 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 07 Mar 2012, 01:11

LIfe indeed can be pretty shitty. And sometimes, it seems you cant go on. But heres my little mental snippet that i keep with me when times are tough. I see life as a book. Each persons life is a book. Each day is a page. When a milestone is reached a new chapter has begun and the old chapter has finished. As you live each daily eventually a new chapter will come. Some chapters have more character building elements and perhaps are harder to read. IN short , they could be tougher chapters. And unfortunately , sometimes , good things just like bad things come to pass. But other times the reverse happens. Or a good thing passes which brings sorrow, but soon another good thing comes!

When I lose a girlfriend , its sad but I think about how our books had each other in this chapter but her book leads to new things which she must follow , while mine has a different story. Different isnt always bad. And we may have to practice tolerance and understanding and acceptance.

NO matter what happens, one should turn the page. Even if the next page brings still more hardship and unhappiness, eventually a new chapter will start. That next chapter could bring a startling revelation to you about the whyness and whyforth of your past chapter. Turn the page , live each day. Have faith and hope and steer your course towards what is good for others best you can and thereby you will possible discover it is also good for you.

Turn the page or YOUR book of life will end prematurely . And if you finish YOUR book early, you have done yourself and many others a dis-service . For you know not what the morrow shall bring. But live today as best you can and your morrow will take care of itself. For those who end their lives early, they may one day sit with a higher power who will reveal the chapters they missed and they will come to understand it was something they shouldnt have missed.

Sometimes we really have not a whole lot to go on except hope, strength of character, a desire to do good, a sense of forgiveness .

My dad used to say, we are all self made men, just that most of us refuse to accept the part we played to make us who we are. Well, accept it, stop blaming others, you played a major role too, even if its not your fault. Go on to the next page and just keep on doing whats right and whats good and overcome your negatives and focus on the positives.

My manager always liked to say "major on the majors" . That means dont focus on the minor things in life ,because that is minor indeed.

Since we are all sponges, lets all try to absorb the positives in life and wring out the negatives.

p.s. to answer the above question. It would appear the motivation to end ones life in such a situation is indeed very strong. But I would try to go on best i can . How long did Mandela sit in prison in SA? Eventually he came back as President of the republic. I am sure it was no picnic being in jail that long.

An indomitable human spirit is an essence provided by God against evil.

Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
566 Recommends(s)
360 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 07 Mar 2012, 08:37

Nice one Tommy. More than this if we think somebody is really down or has suicidal tendencies let's give them a helping hand to turn to that next page.
And let's make more time in this bus world to be a friend to our friends.

BTW, I wish I had your old manager, mine is Major on the Minors , totally the opposite of my life philosophy and it is not working too well. Time to turn that page I think.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.

This post was recommended by tommy525 (07 Mar 2012, 16:10)
Rating: 5.88%
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1545 Recommends(s)
566 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Open Forum