Do not buy Eagle Creek in Taiwan

Welcome to the Open Forum - the discussion forum for topics that don't quite fit anywhere else. Fair warning: Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Moderators: TheGingerMan, Rockefeller

Forum rules
Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Postby Craig » 09 Apr 2012, 14:03

I have an Eagle Creek suitcase which I bought a lot for the "No Matter What" warranty. Well the tread came off a wheel recently and the Taiwan distributer has told me that the case only has year warranty on it and I must pay $800 to replace the wheels (considering the price and the states warranty for this bag I refuse to pay them to repair it). I have called the US office and they told me that it is covered and I should not pay. Find another brand to buy here and boycott Eagle Creek!!
Craig
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Do not buy Eagle Creek in Taiwan

Postby bob_honest » 10 Apr 2012, 08:16

Samsonite here is crap as well. Made in India and likes to break down frequently. Two travels with my Cosmopolite Spinner or however that is called, the one with the ultra-thin ultra-strong plastic. One repair pre-travel after buying it and one repair post-travel (never use the handle on the broad side, it will come off!).
Charged 200NT by the shop for 2nd repair for mine.

2nd suitcase of same type of wife (she does not put much in it): one repair pre-travel, 2xtravel okay.
Hush child, it's only the sound of the dragon god: http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=122562.
Forumosan avatar
bob_honest
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

91 Recommends(s)
46 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 10 Apr 2012, 09:42

Did you ever see what they do with suitcases at airports, I have, 10 foot drops straight on tarmac. I have two MIT no name cases that are still going strong after a few years of punishment,
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1314 Recommends(s)
504 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 10 Apr 2012, 09:47

Yep, I've seen them literally hurled out of a plane. Personally I just use cheap, soft bags and simply put anything breakable in my hand luggage.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)

670 Recommends(s)
547 Recognized(s)

Postby bob_honest » 11 Apr 2012, 08:56

Yes. but both Samsonites had problems before even seeing an airplane. Yet I still use them because they weigh so few and I can bring more candy home.... :oops:
Some airlines cover the Samsonites with an extra tape and mark them as "fragile".
Hush child, it's only the sound of the dragon god: http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=122562.
Forumosan avatar
bob_honest

91 Recommends(s)
46 Recognized(s)

Postby asiababy » 11 Apr 2012, 09:09

I don't know if Samonsite's issue is because you got it in Taiwan. My husband sliced his toe open on the one he got in the US. The sharp metal edging came away from the case first time he used it.
Family-friendly events and destinations Taiwan-wide. http://kidzone-tw.blogspot.com/
Looking for like-minded parents, a friendly space to take your kids, and classes for English-speaking children? http://www.parentsplace.com.tw
asiababy
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

2 Recommends(s)
45 Recognized(s)

Postby Flicka » 11 Apr 2012, 10:16

I had a wheel pop off my Rimowa and they fixed it free here in a jiffy. I still think cheap bags are best, though.
Forumosan avatar
Flicka
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

1 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Postby housecat » 11 Apr 2012, 12:19

I won't buy a name brand bag for a long haul flight. Cheap or expensive, they don't last long. Lots of times, I've had bags torn up after just one flight. For a shorter trip with a lighter bag, spending more is worth it for less weight and easier carrying. :2cents:
Forumosan avatar
housecat
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

95 Recommends(s)
113 Recognized(s)

Postby cfimages » 11 Apr 2012, 12:44

I have a 70L travel backpack that I bought in Australia in 1996 for about AUD$300. It's been in and out of planes, buses and trains across Asia and Aust, it's been tied to the roof of a bus for 20+ hours in India and quite a few 12-15 hour journeys. Other than being a bit dirty and dusty, it's still as good as the day I bought it.
Forumosan avatar
cfimages
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

153 Recommends(s)
164 Recognized(s)

Postby engerim » 11 Apr 2012, 13:15

never had any trouble to make the airlines pay for this kind of stuff.
never had to use my own insurrance for it.
its some paperwork though.
Forumosan avatar
engerim
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

8 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Next

x

Return to Open Forum