Do not buy Eagle Creek in Taiwan

Welcome to the Open Forum - the discussion forum for topics that don't quite fit anywhere else. Fair warning: Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan, Rockefeller

Forum rules
Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Re: Do not buy Eagle Creek in Taiwan

Postby almas john » 11 Apr 2012, 13:23

cfimages wrote:I have a 70L travel backpack that I bought in Australia in 1996 for about AUD$300. It's been in and out of planes, buses and trains across Asia and Aust, it's been tied to the roof of a bus for 20+ hours in India and quite a few 12-15 hour journeys. Other than being a bit dirty and dusty, it's still as good as the day I bought it.

Suspicious that you didn't mention the brand. No doubt it's a Macpac (i.e. Made in New Zealand) and you didn't mention it because it would have been praise for a Kiwi product. I know how obsessed you Australians are with all things NZ. Oh yes.

Anyway, the relationship with your bag has lasted longer than many marriages. Well done. I love having old friends along with me on my travels, weather it's an old hat, knife, compass or whatever. Craig, have you thought of taking a pic of your Macpac and sending it in to the company?

This post was recommended by 2 Forumosans: antarcticbeech (11 Apr 2012, 17:27), TainanCowboy (11 Apr 2012, 13:25)
Rating: 8%
almas john
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

24 Recommends(s)
60 Recognized(s)

Postby cfimages » 11 Apr 2012, 14:45

Actually it's not a Macpac. I think it's by Adventure Designs but they merged with or were bought out by another company a few years ago. I don't know their current trading name though.
Forumosan avatar
cfimages
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

234 Recommends(s)
218 Recognized(s)

Postby the bear » 11 Apr 2012, 16:33

almas john wrote:
cfimages wrote:I have a 70L travel backpack that I bought in Australia in 1996 for about AUD$300. It's been in and out of planes, buses and trains across Asia and Aust, it's been tied to the roof of a bus for 20+ hours in India and quite a few 12-15 hour journeys. Other than being a bit dirty and dusty, it's still as good as the day I bought it.

Suspicious that you didn't mention the brand. No doubt it's a Macpac (i.e. Made in New Zealand) and you didn't mention it because it would have been praise for a Kiwi product. I know how obsessed you Australians are with all things NZ. Oh yes.

Anyway, the relationship with your bag has lasted longer than many marriages. Well done. I love having old friends along with me on my travels, weather it's an old hat, knife, compass or whatever. Craig, have you thought of taking a pic of your Macpac and sending it in to the company?

I bought my MacPac 2nd hand on Cuba Street 12 years ago. Still going strong. That stuff is legend.
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
Forumosan avatar
the bear
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

30 Recommends(s)
113 Recognized(s)

Postby lostinasia » 11 Apr 2012, 16:53

cfimages wrote:Actually it's not a Macpac. I think it's by Adventure Designs but they merged with or were bought out by another company a few years ago. I don't know their current trading name though.

I'm surprised a backpack's lasted that long in Taiwan. Mine seem to last five years or so, then the climate here makes the inner linings (whatever the vaguely plastic stuff is on the underside of the canvas) start to peel off and get all over everything in the bag. Nothing ever goes wrong with the integrity of the backpack - and some of them have been through a lot! - but Taiwan's climate does them in. My most recent big backpack is a budget one without that inner lining material, so I hope it'll last longer.
Forumosan avatar
lostinasia
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

62 Recommends(s)
99 Recognized(s)

Postby almas john » 11 Apr 2012, 16:54

cfimages wrote:Actually it's not a Macpac. I think it's by Adventure Designs but they merged with or were bought out by another company a few years ago. I don't know their current trading name though.

Not a Macpac! You have hurt the feelings of 4 million New Zealanders. Never heard of Adventure Designs. Perhaps they went out of business because their product was too good.
the bear wrote:
almas john wrote:

I bought my MacPac 2nd hand on Cuba Street 12 years ago. Still going strong. That stuff is legend.

Ah, weather/whether,
one of my pet peeves. Damn! Darn! Mothers' and Grandmothers' Thingees! And that's Free Cuba Street unless you're some kind of pinko. Actually, I planted that typo there on purpose. I knew that it would draw you out and force you to write in proper capitals. Ha ha ha. Such evil genius.
Now, where's the bottle... um.. I mean where was I?
Oh yeah. Me old Pa was involved in loading aircraft for 40-odd years (responsible for weight and balance of aircraft). One tip I could pass on is that you don't want to hand in heavy baggage. Hernias are an occupational risk for loaders and they take personal insult to anything weighing more than 22-25kg. Such luggage tends to get dropped a lot and vigorously booted.
almas john

24 Recommends(s)
60 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Open Forum