Uses for herb plants

Welcome to the Open Forum - the discussion forum for topics that don't quite fit anywhere else. Fair warning: Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan, Rockefeller

Forum rules
Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Uses for herb plants

Postby 914 » 10 Apr 2012, 17:29

I just bought a big pot of rosemary because it was gorgeous, smelled great, easy to care for, and cheap at $150. As I'm going home, I'm thinking all these great things I can do with it. I can bake it with some chicken and potatoes. Thing is, I bake 1-2 times a month. I could do some chicken breasts and occasionally maybe bake some potatoes with rosemary, but what else is there to do with it?

I am thinking of dried rosemary sachets for the closet, but do I want my clothes to smell like what I associate baked chicken with?

What do you suggest?

I'm going to go pick up their beautiful mint plant for tomorrow, and maybe basil too. But the basil is bigger, I don't think my little balcony would fit. What other herb plants are easy to care for, versatile to use in food and drink and even dried as drawer sachets or put in the bath?
Messages are sent from my iPad so if you find any errors, you may keep them. Myspacebarhasissues.
Forumosan avatar
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

ORIGINAL POSTER
Location: YVR to SFO to TPE; Now in semi-retirement in Sky Mother
35 Recommends(s)
38 Recognized(s)

Re: Uses for herb plants

Postby sandman » 10 Apr 2012, 17:33

See? THIS is why you should smoke. I stand out on my balcony of an evening and just scuff my leg against the rosemary bush. Instant aromatherapy.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby Belgian Pie » 10 Apr 2012, 17:55

Make tea, infuse in oil ...
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

2 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby Dragonbones » 10 Apr 2012, 19:32

I clip half a dozen 6" sprigs of rosemary once a week and surround the water dispenser with them. Sox, one of our cats, likes to get on the dispenser and steal its lid, but he hates the rosemary, so this deters him.
NEW! Better for you! This post is now carb-conscious, low-fat, and gluten-free!
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

39 Recommends(s)
112 Recognized(s)

Postby Tempo Gain » 10 Apr 2012, 23:04

It helps make a pretty nice pasta sauce. Goes well with chicken or pork. Fry a few sprigs in the oil with the garlic onions etc before you fry the meat. Just pull the bare stems out before you serve it.

Stuff lasts forever. I bought 2 small pots a few years ago and haven't come close to running out. Very forgiving plant

My oregano is going good and is very useful.
Forumosan avatar
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

319 Recommends(s)
313 Recognized(s)

Postby Petrichor » 12 Apr 2012, 02:45

914 wrote:I just bought a big pot of rosemary because it was gorgeous, smelled great, easy to care for, and cheap at $150. As I'm going home, I'm thinking all these great things I can do with it. I can bake it with some chicken and potatoes. Thing is, I bake 1-2 times a month. I could do some chicken breasts and occasionally maybe bake some potatoes with rosemary, but what else is there to do with it?

I am thinking of dried rosemary sachets for the closet, but do I want my clothes to smell like what I associate baked chicken with?

What do you suggest?

I'm going to go pick up their beautiful mint plant for tomorrow, and maybe basil too. But the basil is bigger, I don't think my little balcony would fit. What other herb plants are easy to care for, versatile to use in food and drink and even dried as drawer sachets or put in the bath?

Oregano meets most of those criteria, except the last two, unless you want to end up smelling like pizza. Thyme, too, especially lemon thyme if you can get it. Lavender, again, if you can get it, is very easy to care for and the flowers make great sachets. You can even use it to flavour biscuits and ice-cream but personally I think it tastes like perfume.
Use what talents you possess: The woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.

http://talesfromthebeautifulisle.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Petrichor
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

86 Recommends(s)
90 Recognized(s)

Postby 914 » 13 Apr 2012, 09:37

I'm thinking maybe of pureeing some mint leaves and putting them in my shampoo bottle for that cool clean feeling. Actually that doesn't sound like such a bad idea.

I read some people use the rosemary branches as shish kebab sticks to grill chicken and shrimp, just leave a few leaves on at the bottom.
Messages are sent from my iPad so if you find any errors, you may keep them. Myspacebarhasissues.
Forumosan avatar

ORIGINAL POSTER
35 Recommends(s)
38 Recognized(s)

Postby Dragonbones » 13 Apr 2012, 10:29

914 wrote:I'm thinking maybe of pureeing some mint leaves and putting them in my shampoo bottle for that cool clean feeling. Actually that doesn't sound like such a bad idea.

I read some people use the rosemary branches as shish kebab sticks to grill chicken and shrimp, just leave a few leaves on at the bottom.

The branches (at least on my potted plant) aren't stiff enough and lack a sharp point, so it would be hard to poke them through the meat like a real skewer, IMO.
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

39 Recommends(s)
112 Recognized(s)

Postby 914 » 13 Apr 2012, 22:04

Same as my plant. I wonder if maybe the skewer branches are of a different type of rosemary plant.

What do you use to repel insects from the plants? Mine are on the balcony with our laundry and I've seen some little bugs already, I don't want the bugs to get on our clothes. Is there a good natural home-made plant bug repellent?
Forumosan avatar

ORIGINAL POSTER
35 Recommends(s)
38 Recognized(s)

Postby Dragonbones » 14 Apr 2012, 00:01

914 wrote:Same as my plant. I wonder if maybe the skewer branches are of a different type of rosemary plant.

Maybe an older plant?

What do you use to repel insects from the plants?

Rosemary, basil, thyme and oregano don't seem to need any help. It's the mild leafy green ones (lettuce, cabbage, spinach etc.) and broccoli and brussel sprouts that get attacked by the egg-laying butterflies and the resultant voracious caterpillars. My whole reason for planting my own is to avoid toxic, carcinogenic chemicals on my food, so I've started making baskets of plastic mesh to invert atop each pot, to keep the butterflies away.
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

39 Recommends(s)
112 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Open Forum