So whats that bright thing in sky at night over Taipei?

Welcome to the Open Forum - the discussion forum for topics that don't quite fit anywhere else. Fair warning: Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Moderators: TheGingerMan, Rockefeller

Forum rules
Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

So whats that bright thing in sky at night over Taipei?

Postby downtownandrew » 18 Apr 2012, 15:26

Not talking about the moon... the bright star.... I thought it was the North star "brightest star in the sky"... was bored and whipped out the compass feature on my Iphone. To marvel at modern technology vrs. using stars for navigation. Was surprised to not that the star was not facing North at all.
Been here for over a year... Blue sky is the most beautiful thing to see when it happens in Taipei... a handful of times.
Forumosan avatar
downtownandrew
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

ORIGINAL POSTER
6 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Re: So whats that bright thing in sky at night over Taipei?

Postby Tempo Gain » 18 Apr 2012, 15:27

A planet for sure.
Forumosan avatar
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

250 Recommends(s)
260 Recognized(s)

Postby jdsmith » 18 Apr 2012, 15:28

Mars?

We saw Mars when camping last weekend.
Your warning level: [1]
Forumosan avatar
jdsmith
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

56 Recognized(s)

Postby Dragonbones » 18 Apr 2012, 15:40

I think Venus is visible now; it'll be a big bright one. Mars is smaller, reddish. Edit: Yup, probably Venus. Did you see the news story about the plane that dove to avoid it?
http://edition.CNN.com/2012/04/17/trave ... index.html

http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essential ... rn-mercury
Now selling homestyle baked goods (cookies, brownies, baklava, pies, & cakes) made with many organic, fair-trade and/or local pesticide-free ingredients, as well as many of those ingredients themselves, at our shop in Donghu (Neihu). Visit https://www.facebook.com/segoviaskitchen‎ or http://www.taiwanease.com/en/forums/pos ... tml#p92536 for info.
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

36 Recommends(s)
92 Recognized(s)

Postby Jaboney » 18 Apr 2012, 15:42

downtownandrew wrote:Not talking about the moon... the bright star.... I thought it was the North star "brightest star in the sky"... was bored and whipped out the compass feature on my Iphone. To marvel at modern technology vrs. using stars for navigation. Was surprised to not that the star was not facing North at all.
Try Star Walk or SkySafari.
Forumosan avatar
Jaboney
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

22 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Postby jdsmith » 18 Apr 2012, 15:45

April 2012 presents another great month for watching the five visible planets. In fact, four of them – Jupiter, Venus, Mars and Saturn – will be visible at nightfall for most of the month from both the Northern and Southern Hemispheres. The missing planet – Mercury – will be extremely difficult to view from the Northern Hemisphere, as it sits in the glare of morning twilight. But for the Southern Hemisphere, Mercury’s apparition as the morning “star” couldn’t be much better, because the solar system’s innermost planet rises in the east well before the onset of dawn in that part of the world.

http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essential ... rn-mercury
Your warning level: [1]
Forumosan avatar
jdsmith
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

56 Recognized(s)

Postby Ryan the third » 19 Apr 2012, 03:22

downtownandrew wrote:Not talking about the moon... the bright star.... I thought it was the North star "brightest star in the sky"... was bored and whipped out the compass feature on my Iphone. To marvel at modern technology vrs. using stars for navigation. Was surprised to not that the star was not facing North at all.

Well you are in Taiwan... that far South the North star doesnt really point to the north anymore. Time to go back to school.
Forumosan avatar
Ryan the third

2 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan_Student » 24 Apr 2012, 07:51

Ryan the third wrote:

Well you are in Taiwan... that far South the North star doesnt really point to the north anymore. Time to go back to school.

I think there's an app for that....
The I phone is reported to have an app that let's you point it at the sky and it will identify the stars and planets it "sees".
Here's a link.... http://blog.al.com/bargain-mom/2012/03/star_chart_app_helps_identify.html

Me have no I phone.... But I've been seeing Orion lately on my evening bike rides around the bay.
Taiwan_Student
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

19 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

Postby downtownandrew » 25 Apr 2012, 13:49

Ryan the third wrote:

Think about what you said.... would not want to be a viking on your ship.
Been here for over a year... Blue sky is the most beautiful thing to see when it happens in Taipei... a handful of times.
Forumosan avatar
downtownandrew

ORIGINAL POSTER
6 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Postby Deuce Dropper » 25 Apr 2012, 16:08

jdsmith wrote:Mars?

We saw Mars when camping last weekend.

Mars?

That must have been a refreshing change, most of the stuff you post on here seems to have originated from Uranus. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

whut whut!?!?!?! :discodance: :discodance:

ola! :D :lol: :) :) :cool: :D :lick:
Forumosan avatar
Deuce Dropper
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

75 Recommends(s)
371 Recognized(s)

Next

x

Return to Open Forum