Smells can take you way back

Welcome to the Open Forum - the discussion forum for topics that don't quite fit anywhere else. Fair warning: Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Moderators: TheGingerMan, Rockefeller

Forum rules
Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Smells can take you way back

Postby bob_honest » 20 Apr 2012, 17:40

Wife just collected the ID cards of a lot of colleagues and then made me fill the take-home lunchboxes, which we will later donate to her mother for "poor old people" (those being herself actually). While doing this I drop some damned squid-tofu stuff sauce on my finger. Sitting back in office I think about some work-related problem and unconsciously rub my nose with my finger, inevitably getting the squid smell in my nostrils.

And then the memory came back. That night 1998 in Havana, Cuba, the girls was called Lety or something, the Hotel was called Commodoro and I had picked her up in the "Three Fishhead Bar". Or it must have been named like that judging from how my fingers smelled...

Sigh, odors can take you back to sweet and distant memories....
Hush child, it's only the sound of the dragon god: http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=122562.
Forumosan avatar
bob_honest
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
91 Recommends(s)
46 Recognized(s)

Re: Smells can take you way back

Postby TainanCowboy » 20 Apr 2012, 17:50

Smells are very powerful on the memory.

Probably more powerful than sights or sounds.
"Pardon him, Theodotus; he is a barbarian and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature" --- "Caesar and Cleopatra"...G.B. Shaw
-----
Kid Rock - Born Free
-----
"The big sisters are usually hot, but the dads smell of alcohol and tobacco....and have dirty feet with dead toe nails in blue slippers. "...Bob_Honest on "The Culture"
------
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
------
Isaiah 40:31
Forumosan avatar
TainanCowboy
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

103 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

Postby baberenglish » 20 Apr 2012, 18:58

Try going to the traditional market on a hot day, all those scents will remind you of nasty, dirty women from all over the world.
Forumosan avatar
baberenglish
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

13 Recognized(s)

Postby Belgian Pie » 20 Apr 2012, 19:01

I still remember very lively the first time I stepped in dog poo as a child ...
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1 Recommends(s)
60 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 20 Apr 2012, 23:21

Eventually, you will lose your keen sense of smell if you live in Taiwan long enough and thats a good thing. NO , make that a Great thing :)
the driveller - tommy525
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

477 Recommends(s)
315 Recognized(s)

Postby baberenglish » 21 Apr 2012, 08:25

for some reason, a lot of women are turned on by the smell of sweat on the back of your neck...that is, if you wash regularly. why is this?
Forumosan avatar
baberenglish

13 Recognized(s)

Postby Zla'od » 21 Apr 2012, 16:04

Napoleon to Josephine: "Back in three weeks. Don't wash."
"The verbs used in the most important Pali Suttas on mindfulness – the Satipaṭṭhāna and Mahā-Satipaṭṭhāna Suttas (M no. and D no. respectively) – are assasati and passasati, i.e.’ inhale’ and ‘exhale’. The same verbs are used in the Kāyagatāsati Sutta and Ānāpānasati Sutta (M no. 118 and 119 respectively). Although the Ānāpānasati Sutta uses the nouns āna and apāna in its title, it reverts to assasati and passasati in the discourse itself. The author of this article should try reading the Pali texts cited rather than drawing inferences from the title of a single text. Had he done so, he would see that the Pali texts prescribe no such thing as farting meditation." --"Mr. Dangle," responding to Eisel Mazard on New Mandala
Zla'od
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)

56 Recognized(s)

Postby Belgian Pie » 21 Apr 2012, 16:37

baberenglish wrote:for some reason, a lot of women are turned on by the smell of sweat on the back of your neck...that is, if you wash regularly. why is this?

It's DOVE soap! :D
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1 Recommends(s)
60 Recognized(s)

x

Return to Open Forum