Mainland Chinese Tourists Deface Plants in Taiwan

Welcome to the Open Forum - the discussion forum for topics that don't quite fit anywhere else. Fair warning: Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Moderators: TheGingerMan, Rockefeller

Forum rules
Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Mainland Chinese Tourists Deface Plants in Taiwan

Postby Baas Babelaas » 27 Apr 2012, 00:53

Mod note: Title changed to reflect content.

Mainlanders doing what they do best - defacing the environment.

I aint hating, just saying.

http://www.chinasmack.com/2012/stories/mainland-chinese-tourists-deface-plants-in-taitung-taiwan.html
Forumosan avatar
Baas Babelaas
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
9 Recommends(s)
13 Recognized(s)

Re: Mainlanders doing what they do best

Postby divea » 27 Apr 2012, 01:08

You must be aware of news stories where men raped grandmothers, and little girls in shelters during the Katrina hurricane....when the people were at their most vulnerable. You do not want me to start a thread about 'What Americans do best' because well, there is no end to such stupid bigotry. You really don't want a news story to define a people. Its shallow and racist. Yes some idiot wrote on a plant, he is an idiot. Period. Do you know how many such idiots live in TW?? Or the UK? Or Australia? Or Poland?? Plenty.
"It is the weak who are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong. "
- Leo Roston

This post was recommended by 3 Forumosans: antarcticbeech (27 Apr 2012, 01:15), cfimages (27 Apr 2012, 08:06), dan2006 (27 Apr 2012, 10:24)
Rating: 17.65%
divea
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

321 Recommends(s)
97 Recognized(s)

Postby antarcticbeech » 27 Apr 2012, 01:15

I agree with Div. A contemptible thread.
X
Forumosan avatar
antarcticbeech
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

144 Recommends(s)
126 Recognized(s)

Postby Charlie Phillips » 27 Apr 2012, 02:31

No he's right. There's something completely different about the Chinese tourist and also the way they are given carte blanche to do what they do. Perhaps you haven't experienced it yet, but one or two flights shared with a Chinese tour group or turning up at a site at the same time as a Chinese tour group might change your mind.

Not to mention bed bugs. Avoid hotels they stay at.
"Why do you want gas? It's hot. You can have cold showers" ~gas delivery man height of summer, 2010.

"Why you wear so many clothes? You are foreigner. Foreign countries are cold." buxiban owner, depth of winter 2011.
Forumosan avatar
Charlie Phillips
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

73 Recommends(s)
145 Recognized(s)

Postby divea » 27 Apr 2012, 02:52

Charlie Phillips wrote:Not to mention bed bugs. Avoid hotels they stay at.

That's what they say about blacks too....and then some. :roll:

Guys you are talking about people. All the crap you spew, you can just take out Chinese, and put in Indian, Blacks or Latinos and someone's said it. You are talking about REAL people, remember when you know better, you do better. Phew!! Continue the hate spreading, those filthy Chinese commies and us great pissing on dead Afghani people - we are so much better. :roll:
"It is the weak who are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong. "
- Leo Roston
divea

321 Recommends(s)
97 Recognized(s)

Postby Charlie Phillips » 27 Apr 2012, 03:09

divea wrote:
Charlie Phillips wrote:Not to mention bed bugs. Avoid hotels they stay at.

That's what they say about blacks too....and then some. :roll:

Guys you are talking about people. All the crap you spew, you can just take out Chinese, and put in Indian, Blacks or Latinos and someone's said it. You are talking about REAL people, remember when you know better, you do better. Phew!! Continue the hate spreading, those filthy Chinese commies and us great pissing on dead Afghani people - we are so much better. :roll:

You extrapolate too much. There's good and bad in everyone, and then there's just plain low class. I reserve my right to discriminate against low class behavior, the same way as I reserve my right to discriminate between a good Chinese restaurant and the kind that serves up weevily rice with rotten meat and bad condiments.

Taiwan and the rest of the world should concentrate on the quality of the tourist, not the quantity. I don't care what color or creed, but the behavior of the Chinese tour groups I've encountered leaves much to be desired.
"Why do you want gas? It's hot. You can have cold showers" ~gas delivery man height of summer, 2010.

"Why you wear so many clothes? You are foreigner. Foreign countries are cold." buxiban owner, depth of winter 2011.
Forumosan avatar
Charlie Phillips

73 Recommends(s)
145 Recognized(s)

Postby Homey » 27 Apr 2012, 03:53

Charlie is absolutely right. It only takes one experience of seeing/hearing the Chinese tourists to understand.

Taiwan has a lot to offer and could entice tourists from all over world in much larger numbers. There really is no reason to settle and put up with the rude selfish behavior from Chinese tourists. Enough with the silly political connectedness. Yes, there are hicks everywhere, but this doesn't change the fact that right now there are droves of selfish Chinese hicks coming to Taiwan and pissing (I mean that metaphorically) on it's treasures.

The light of awareness should be pointed at their actions. This is the only way that change can start. This irrational fear of being politically incorrect is just a way of hiding our heads in the sand and ignoring problems that shouldn't be ignored.
Why not???

If you are what you eat, then I guess that makes me "fast, cheap, and easy"!
Forumosan avatar
Homey
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

2 Recommends(s)
17 Recognized(s)

Mainlanders doing what they do best

Postby headhonchoII » 27 Apr 2012, 07:01

Just the sheer numbers of these people who have never travelled before and bring their somewhat rough edged behavior with them causes the problem.
Go to Alishan and listen to them shouting their way around the whole forest and smoking too. Not exactly tranquil.
Go to Taroko gorge and it's just bus after bus , hundreds of them. That's messing up the experience for lone travellers.
Just like the Brits and Germans and others in Spain or the Danish in Austria, they have a deserved reputation.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1314 Recommends(s)
504 Recognized(s)

Postby *monkey* » 27 Apr 2012, 08:53

headhonchoII wrote:Just the sheer numbers of these people who have never travelled before and bring their somewhat rough edged behavior with them causes the problem.
Go to Alishan and listen to them shouting their way around the whole forest and smoking too. Not exactly tranquil.
Go to Taroko gorge and it's just bus after bus , hundreds of them. That's messing up the experience for lone travellers.
Just like the Brits and Germans and others in Spain or the Danish in Austria, they have a deserved reputation.

You have a point there. Go look at the behavior of Brit holidaymakers in Europe (Ibiza, Corfu etc). At least these plant-defacing mainlanders aren't going to vomit on you or punch you in the face for "giving them a look."

Anyway these mainlanders (unsophisticated people with money) are exactly the type of people the Taiwan Tourism Bureau wants to visit Taiwan. So, the blame rests squarely with the responsible government organ. It feels so good to say that, that I'm going to say it again. Government organ.
Floggings will continue until morale improves

Monkey's portmanteau of the day: Scootard
Forumosan avatar
*monkey*

4 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 27 Apr 2012, 09:17

You must be aware of news stories where men raped grandmothers, and little girls in shelters during the Katrina hurricane....when the people were at their most vulnerable.

er ... you what now? The average Chinese tourist isn't huddled in a hurricane shelter, all vulnerable like. As someone else just said, Brits get called out for being aggressive drunks abroad in Europe, and rightly so. They're a disgrace to their country and to the human race. We don't need to tiptoe around Chinese sensibilities just because China is rich and "developing" now. The problem is that Chinese people don't react well to shame; instead of seeing it as a broadly positive emotion (an opportunity to fix something you rightly feel bad about) they lash out and blame others for causing them to lose face. You would assume there is some alternative mechanism, and that Taiwanese people would know how that operates, but apparently not:
They’ve even had serious arguments happen in the past for stopping mainland tourist groups from going into the grass and plants to take photos.

Louts are louts, and it's a pity the curators can't be issued with tranquilliser guns.

So, the blame rests squarely with the responsible government organ. It feels so good to say that, that I'm going to say it again. Government organ.

Unfortunately monkey is probably right. Money is money. The turgid government organ doesn't care if someone else has to clean up the mess.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)

670 Recommends(s)
545 Recognized(s)

Next

x

Return to Open Forum