south korea to pass japan economically

Welcome to the Open Forum - the discussion forum for topics that don't quite fit anywhere else. Fair warning: Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan, Rockefeller

Forum rules
Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Postby akikaki1 » 29 Apr 2012, 12:03

http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicd ... y-chart-16

glad to see taiwan projected growing rate. Didn't know taiwan was past south korea per person. I cant help but feel bad for japan, it was once past per person then US and now its 3x GDp in debt, country of growing old people.
akikaki1
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

ORIGINAL POSTER
11 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 29 Apr 2012, 13:04

I have been visiting Korea for many years, salaried incomes in Korea are about twice Taiwan and the infrastructure is better. Just visit Korea and visit Taiwan , you will know the difference immediately. Their economy is also more diversified and more successful international companies with leading edge products. Taiwan is quite far behind Korea.

I also visit Japan a lot and while Korea has come on in leaps and bounds Japan's depth of science and technology is still ahead as is their more international city, Tokyo. In the industry I work in our only real competitors are 3 Japanese companies, nobody else!
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1474 Recommends(s)
551 Recognized(s)

Re: south korea to pass japan economically

Postby Super Hans » 29 Apr 2012, 13:07

Just out of curiosity, what industry are you in, HH?
The bones got the wrong detail I hoped it would have for you
Safe for a shin bone or even a hand
It's such a lonely ride...
Forumosan avatar
Super Hans
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

42 Recommends(s)
149 Recognized(s)

Postby akikaki1 » 29 Apr 2012, 13:09

headhonchoII wrote:I have been visiting Korea for many years, salaried incomes in Korea are about twice Taiwan and the infrastructure is better. Just visit Korea and visit Taiwan , you will know the difference immediately. Their economy is also more diversified and more successful international companies with leading edge products. Taiwan is quite far behind Korea.

does it matter how it looks? GDP per person PPP is still 5-6g's higher. altho infrastructure wise taiwan is behide every country
akikaki1

ORIGINAL POSTER
11 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 29 Apr 2012, 13:42

Super Hans wrote:Just out of curiosity, what industry are you in, HH?

Medical technology/biotechnology related.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1474 Recommends(s)
551 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 29 Apr 2012, 13:45

akikaki1 wrote:
headhonchoII wrote:I have been visiting Korea for many years, salaried incomes in Korea are about twice Taiwan and the infrastructure is better. Just visit Korea and visit Taiwan , you will know the difference immediately. Their economy is also more diversified and more successful international companies with leading edge products. Taiwan is quite far behind Korea.

does it matter how it looks? GDP per person PPP is still 5-6g's higher. altho infrastructure wise taiwan is behide every country

Well of course it matters how things look. And PPP is not always a good way to look at things. You need a certain amount of money for foreign travel, education and imported goods for example. Just because you can afford to buy the same amount of peanuts and coffee as your mate in Korea may not help you when you want to afford a foreign degree or go to Rome for your honeymoon.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1474 Recommends(s)
551 Recognized(s)

Postby Impaler » 01 May 2012, 13:00

headhonchoII wrote:
akikaki1 wrote:

Well of course it matters how things look. And PPP is not always a good way to look at things. You need a certain amount of money for foreign travel, education and imported goods for example. Just because you can afford to buy the same amount of peanuts and coffee as your mate in Korea may not help you when you want to afford a foreign degree or go to Rome for your honeymoon.

Agreed. Thailand's "per capita GDP" (even PPP-adjusted) wasn't all that far off from Taiwan's, last time I looked.

I don't think anyone would dispute that the vast majority of Thais are much worse off than the median Taiwanese.
It's amazing what getting out of the care of the Scottish National Health Service can do for your life expectancy.

"Mostly, nature looks after itself, if you let it. If you arrange things correctly, nature will do all the hard work for you, but it takes a lot of careful thought, planning, attention to detail, and a little experimentation. In other words, we're all doomed." -- finley
Forumosan avatar
Impaler
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

2 Recommends(s)
37 Recognized(s)

Postby akikaki1 » 01 May 2012, 13:32

Impaler wrote:
headhonchoII wrote:
akikaki1 wrote:

Agreed. Thailand's "per capita GDP" (even PPP-adjusted) wasn't all that far off from Taiwan's, last time I looked.

I don't think anyone would dispute that the vast majority of Thais are much worse off than the median Taiwanese.

Thailand current gdp-ppp for 2011 is 9400, not even close to Taiwan lol.
akikaki1

ORIGINAL POSTER
11 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby Impaler » 02 May 2012, 08:05

Wow. You're right, I must've looked at the wrong figures before.
It's amazing what getting out of the care of the Scottish National Health Service can do for your life expectancy.

"Mostly, nature looks after itself, if you let it. If you arrange things correctly, nature will do all the hard work for you, but it takes a lot of careful thought, planning, attention to detail, and a little experimentation. In other words, we're all doomed." -- finley
Forumosan avatar
Impaler

2 Recommends(s)
37 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 02 May 2012, 08:15

A much better way to rate the overall development scale is median salary.
GDP is a measure of all economic activity, even activities such as transfer pricing are included. It's really not very useful on it's own.
PPP is handy for day to day living income vs expense calculations but it breaks down when you want to travel overseas or import anything of worth.
If I earn 20 USD a day and spend 15 USD I can save money but one mishap and I could be permanently in debt.
Both GDP and PPP do not capture the inequality in a society. If 20% of people earn 4 times more than the other 80% (this is ay least the situation in Taiwan) do you think GDP and or PPP are really a useful indicator of anything?
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1474 Recommends(s)
551 Recognized(s)

Next

x

Return to Open Forum