What's the name of that schoolgirl cartoon character?

Welcome to the Open Forum - the discussion forum for topics that don't quite fit anywhere else. Fair warning: Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan, Rockefeller

Forum rules
Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

What's the name of that schoolgirl cartoon character?

Postby Zla'od » 03 May 2012, 14:03

I'm thinking of a comic or cartoon character--rather famous around here, you see her on balloons and such--who is a schoolgirl, either Japanese or (less likely) Taiwanese. She wears her hair short, with bangs across her forehead. She has a round face and red cheeks (drawn as circles). I think there may be a museum in Japan dedicated to her. What is this character's name? Thanks!
Narrated Umar ibn al-Khattab
Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) forbade withdrawing the penis from a free woman unless she gives permission. Ibn Majah transmitted it. (Tirmidhi Hadith, Number 950)
Zla'od
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

ORIGINAL POSTER
68 Recognized(s)

Re: What's the name of that schoolgirl cartoon character?

Postby *monkey* » 03 May 2012, 14:14

She is called Xiao Wanzi in Chinese, or Maruko in Japanese.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chibi_Maruko-chan
Floggings will continue until morale improves

Monkey's portmanteau of the day: Scootard
Forumosan avatar
*monkey*
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

4 Recommends(s)
61 Recognized(s)

Postby Incubus » 03 May 2012, 14:15

Dora?

Edit:
OK. Monkey might be right, but you gotta admit, there's a certain resemblance there.
Incubus

12 Recommends(s)
34 Recognized(s)

Postby Zla'od » 03 May 2012, 15:54

That's her! Thanks!
Narrated Umar ibn al-Khattab
Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) forbade withdrawing the penis from a free woman unless she gives permission. Ibn Majah transmitted it. (Tirmidhi Hadith, Number 950)
Zla'od

ORIGINAL POSTER
68 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Open Forum