What is this 'Overseas Chinese" thing all about?

Moderator: 914

Forum rules
Welcome to the Overseas Taiwanese Subforum. We hope this is a place where you can post your cross-cultural, east meets west upbringing, Tiger Mama/Dragon Baba issues. We understand that you look full on local on the outside, but have issues that pertain to growing up in a non-Taiwanese, non-Chinese environment. Confucian obligations and expectations probably apply to you, familial pressure to conform to traditions, etc. We know the drill. So come on in, get some things off your chest, and hopefully you will gain perspective from others who have been there and are going through the same. For other questions and discussions (in particular legal, passport and residency issues,) please continue to post in the relevant forums. Let's keep this for culturally sensitive topics. Thank you very much, and happy posting.

What is this 'Overseas Chinese" thing all about?

Postby bumclouds » 04 May 2012, 00:40

I've seen the term bandied about all over the "Dual Nationality" forum. I understand there's some sort of commission set up to research people's claims to Chinese ancestry and that you can get some sort of ID or certificate.

How far back can people's claims to Chinese ancestry go? What benefits does one get after becoming a certified "Overseas Chinese"?

It does seem a bit discriminatory at first glance.
Your warning level: [4]
Forumosan avatar
bumclouds
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

ORIGINAL POSTER
98 Recommends(s)
82 Recognized(s)

Re: What is this 'Overseas Chinese" thing all about?

Postby tommy525 » 04 May 2012, 01:29

FAIK, its plain racist. The ROC govt gave some benefits to those with Chinese ethnicity so they could come to Taiwan and live and work , etc. I think they are much tougher on them now tho.
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

607 Recommends(s)
376 Recognized(s)

Postby Zla'od » 04 May 2012, 06:12

It used to be that you could get a passport that way. No longer. In fact it might not matter anymore for any practical purpose.

I would like to apply for a certificate of Chinese ethnicity on the basis that I meet the legal qualfications established in 19th-century Taiwan: (a) I have a Chinese name, and (b) I pay taxes. Would anybody like to help me apply? (My wife won't.) I'd really rather be Taiwanese, but at least this way I can deconstruct their hegemonic ethnic categories from within! Mwahahaha!

(Hope they don't get mad enough to grant the Overseas part...)
“If a bodhisattva resides as a householder and there appears a woman who is clearly unbound to anyone, habituated to sexual indulgence, attracted to the bodhisattva and seeking sexual activities, the bodhisattva having seen this thinks, 'Do not make her mind upset, producing much misfortune. If she pursues her desire, she will obtain freedom. As expedient means [upaya] I will take her in and have her plant the roots for virtue, also having her abandon unwholesome karma. I will engage in impure activities [abrahma-carya] with a compassionate mind.' Even practising such defiled activities like this, there is nothing that is violated [precepts], and much merit will be produced." -- from the Yogācārabhūmi Śāstra

For even more saucy Buddhist scripture, see http://sdhammika.blogspot.tw/2010/08/st ... m-all.html
Zla'od

76 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 04 May 2012, 09:27

I know someone just got permanent residency here on the basis of being "overseas Chinese". It is, as tommy just said, just some bizarre racist law that greases the wheels if you have ethnic Chinese ancestry, and I frankly don't understand how it works. Curiously, it most certainly DOES NOT apply to mainland Chinese.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

858 Recommends(s)
657 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 04 May 2012, 09:55

bumclouds wrote:I've seen the term bandied about all over the "Dual Nationality" forum. I understand there's some sort of commission set up to research people's claims to Chinese ancestry and that you can get some sort of ID or certificate.

How far back can people's claims to Chinese ancestry go? What benefits does one get after becoming a certified "Overseas Chinese"?

It does seem a bit discriminatory at first glance.

Six generations tops. You get preferential entrance to universities, special immersion classes, and get away with double nationality limitations.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

722 Recommends(s)
567 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 04 May 2012, 10:18

Go back some 65,000 years, and we're all related, even to the most isolated Khoi-San, New Guinean, or Amazonian tribespeople.

Can I claim citizenship of the world?
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

86 Recommends(s)
194 Recognized(s)

Postby Steviebike » 04 May 2012, 10:22

I always wanted to be a citizen of the world, rather than hold a passport to one country. A more peaceful way, perhaps? What a dreamer I am!
Just checking but you're a South African Engrish Teachur right? No. I'm a Russian nuclear physicist.
Forumosan avatar
Steviebike
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

70 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 04 May 2012, 10:35

Chris wrote:Go back some 65,000 years, and we're all related, even to the most isolated Khoi-San, New Guinean, or Amazonian tribespeople.

Can I claim citizenship of the world?

After a crisis many thousand years ago, there were only 5000 humans left. We all come from that stock.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

722 Recommends(s)
567 Recognized(s)

Postby Feiren » 04 May 2012, 10:40

It has to do mainly with the historical situation in Southeast Asia. The many Chinese immigrants in Indonesia, Cambodia, Vietnam etc saw themselves as Chinese (or Cantonese) and were excluded from full citizenship or rights. These communities also played a very important role in the establishment of the Republic of China. For these reasons, they were granted passports. Post 1949, they were pawns in the struggle for legitimacy between Beijing and Taipei. Taipei cultivated ties with passports, scholarships etc.

So yes, it is racist, but there other political and historical factors at work.

This post was recommended by cranky laowai (04 May 2012, 11:54)
Rating: 4%
Feiren
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

4 Recommends(s)
204 Recognized(s)

Postby riceworm » 04 May 2012, 10:53

An Overseas Chinese, according to Taiwan's official definition, is usually a Taiwanese citizen who has lived abroad for 4 years and has residential status in a foreign country.

This post was recommended by haokaiyang (02 Oct 2012, 15:23)
Rating: 4%
riceworm
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

12 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Overseas Taiwanese