What is this 'Overseas Chinese" thing all about?

Moderator: 914

Forum rules
Welcome to the Overseas Taiwanese Subforum. We hope this is a place where you can post your cross-cultural, east meets west upbringing, Tiger Mama/Dragon Baba issues. We understand that you look full on local on the outside, but have issues that pertain to growing up in a non-Taiwanese, non-Chinese environment. Confucian obligations and expectations probably apply to you, familial pressure to conform to traditions, etc. We know the drill. So come on in, get some things off your chest, and hopefully you will gain perspective from others who have been there and are going through the same. For other questions and discussions (in particular legal, passport and residency issues,) please continue to post in the relevant forums. Let's keep this for culturally sensitive topics. Thank you very much, and happy posting.

What is this 'Overseas Chinese" thing all about?

Postby bumclouds » 04 May 2012, 00:40

I've seen the term bandied about all over the "Dual Nationality" forum. I understand there's some sort of commission set up to research people's claims to Chinese ancestry and that you can get some sort of ID or certificate.

How far back can people's claims to Chinese ancestry go? What benefits does one get after becoming a certified "Overseas Chinese"?

It does seem a bit discriminatory at first glance.
Your warning level: [3]
Forumosan avatar
bumclouds
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)

ORIGINAL POSTER
89 Recommends(s)
54 Recognized(s)

Re: What is this 'Overseas Chinese" thing all about?

Postby tommy525 » 04 May 2012, 01:29

FAIK, its plain racist. The ROC govt gave some benefits to those with Chinese ethnicity so they could come to Taiwan and live and work , etc. I think they are much tougher on them now tho.
the driveller - tommy525
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

477 Recommends(s)
315 Recognized(s)

Postby Zla'od » 04 May 2012, 06:12

It used to be that you could get a passport that way. No longer. In fact it might not matter anymore for any practical purpose.

I would like to apply for a certificate of Chinese ethnicity on the basis that I meet the legal qualfications established in 19th-century Taiwan: (a) I have a Chinese name, and (b) I pay taxes. Would anybody like to help me apply? (My wife won't.) I'd really rather be Taiwanese, but at least this way I can deconstruct their hegemonic ethnic categories from within! Mwahahaha!

(Hope they don't get mad enough to grant the Overseas part...)
"The verbs used in the most important Pali Suttas on mindfulness – the Satipaṭṭhāna and Mahā-Satipaṭṭhāna Suttas (M no. and D no. respectively) – are assasati and passasati, i.e.’ inhale’ and ‘exhale’. The same verbs are used in the Kāyagatāsati Sutta and Ānāpānasati Sutta (M no. 118 and 119 respectively). Although the Ānāpānasati Sutta uses the nouns āna and apāna in its title, it reverts to assasati and passasati in the discourse itself. The author of this article should try reading the Pali texts cited rather than drawing inferences from the title of a single text. Had he done so, he would see that the Pali texts prescribe no such thing as farting meditation." --"Mr. Dangle," responding to Eisel Mazard on New Mandala
Zla'od

56 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 04 May 2012, 09:27

I know someone just got permanent residency here on the basis of being "overseas Chinese". It is, as tommy just said, just some bizarre racist law that greases the wheels if you have ethnic Chinese ancestry, and I frankly don't understand how it works. Curiously, it most certainly DOES NOT apply to mainland Chinese.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)

670 Recommends(s)
549 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 04 May 2012, 09:55

bumclouds wrote:I've seen the term bandied about all over the "Dual Nationality" forum. I understand there's some sort of commission set up to research people's claims to Chinese ancestry and that you can get some sort of ID or certificate.

How far back can people's claims to Chinese ancestry go? What benefits does one get after becoming a certified "Overseas Chinese"?

It does seem a bit discriminatory at first glance.

Six generations tops. You get preferential entrance to universities, special immersion classes, and get away with double nationality limitations.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

534 Recommends(s)
417 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 04 May 2012, 10:18

Go back some 65,000 years, and we're all related, even to the most isolated Khoi-San, New Guinean, or Amazonian tribespeople.

Can I claim citizenship of the world?
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

78 Recommends(s)
169 Recognized(s)

Postby Steviebike » 04 May 2012, 10:22

I always wanted to be a citizen of the world, rather than hold a passport to one country. A more peaceful way, perhaps? What a dreamer I am!
Just checking but you're a South African Engrish Teachur right? No. I'm a Russian nuclear physicist.
Forumosan avatar
Steviebike
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

70 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 04 May 2012, 10:35

Chris wrote:Go back some 65,000 years, and we're all related, even to the most isolated Khoi-San, New Guinean, or Amazonian tribespeople.

Can I claim citizenship of the world?

After a crisis many thousand years ago, there were only 5000 humans left. We all come from that stock.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

534 Recommends(s)
417 Recognized(s)

Postby Feiren » 04 May 2012, 10:40

It has to do mainly with the historical situation in Southeast Asia. The many Chinese immigrants in Indonesia, Cambodia, Vietnam etc saw themselves as Chinese (or Cantonese) and were excluded from full citizenship or rights. These communities also played a very important role in the establishment of the Republic of China. For these reasons, they were granted passports. Post 1949, they were pawns in the struggle for legitimacy between Beijing and Taipei. Taipei cultivated ties with passports, scholarships etc.

So yes, it is racist, but there other political and historical factors at work.

This post was recommended by cranky laowai (04 May 2012, 11:54)
Rating: 5.88%
Feiren
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

4 Recommends(s)
186 Recognized(s)

Postby riceworm » 04 May 2012, 10:53

An Overseas Chinese, according to Taiwan's official definition, is usually a Taiwanese citizen who has lived abroad for 4 years and has residential status in a foreign country.

This post was recommended by haokaiyang (02 Oct 2012, 15:23)
Rating: 5.88%
riceworm
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

12 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

Next

x

Return to Overseas Taiwanese