What is this 'Overseas Chinese" thing all about?

Moderator: 914

Forum rules
Welcome to the Overseas Taiwanese Subforum. We hope this is a place where you can post your cross-cultural, east meets west upbringing, Tiger Mama/Dragon Baba issues. We understand that you look full on local on the outside, but have issues that pertain to growing up in a non-Taiwanese, non-Chinese environment. Confucian obligations and expectations probably apply to you, familial pressure to conform to traditions, etc. We know the drill. So come on in, get some things off your chest, and hopefully you will gain perspective from others who have been there and are going through the same. For other questions and discussions (in particular legal, passport and residency issues,) please continue to post in the relevant forums. Let's keep this for culturally sensitive topics. Thank you very much, and happy posting.

Re: What is this 'Overseas Chinese" thing all about?

Postby Belgian Pie » 05 May 2012, 16:05

They even have/had a bank at some time in the past ... 'Bank of Overseas Chinese' ... but it didn't do well because they all moved back to Taiwan and they ran out of 'overseas Chinese', so Citigroup bought it. :roflmao:

Citigroup has agreed to buy Taiwan's Bank of Overseas Chinese (BOOC) for T$14.1 billion ($426 million), a BOOC executive said on Monday, amid growing foreign interest in Taiwan's undervalued banking sector.
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

2 Recommends(s)
91 Recognized(s)

Postby EddieG » 05 May 2012, 21:03

riceworm wrote:An Overseas Chinese, according to Taiwan's official definition, is usually a Taiwanese citizen who has lived abroad for 4 years and has residential status in a foreign country.

This is what I refer to when I use the term. The four year part is only applicable if you were born here though. My son was born in Sweden and is Overseas Chinese as well. It is stated in his passport.
-
EddieG
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

4 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Postby Zla'od » 07 May 2012, 12:44

but needed roots in China, (i.e. obviously had to be ethnic chinese)

And how would this be determined or demonstrated? Would they just eyeball you, or did they expect papers of some kind?

Deuce-dropper mentions Mongolians as a form of overseas Chinese. Actually, Mongolian and Tibetan visas were handled by the Mongolian and Tibetan Affairs Commission back in the day.
"In the Legislative Yuan, Chu has the option of attending meetings as the KMT chair or the mayor of New Taipei City. When asked if it would be awkward to be in that position, Chu used a baseball reference and said that today he may be the pitcher and tomorrow he may be the catcher." http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/nati ... ent-of.htm
Zla'od
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

82 Recognized(s)

Postby Teddoman » 09 May 2012, 09:14

I don't know how the HK and Phillipine Chinese person used it to get a passport except that, well, in Asia, some have been known to, er, grease the wheels, so to speak.

Otherwise, if Obama can fake a American birth certificate, so can any idiot with photoshop and a good printer. (yes, that bit about Obama was sarcastic)

The least preferred way would be to prove your real family connection to Taiwan through hu4kou3, or residency, records of yourself or your parents etc.
Teddoman
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

12 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

Postby Teddoman » 09 May 2012, 09:47

Sorry my response was slightly off, as I'd never browsed the dual nationality forum. Looks like the phrase they use is hu4ji2 for household residency. Basically, it's a form of residency registration in Taiwan. But in the US, you register separately for everything so no one registration is really official. In TW, I think the huji is pretty much the big registration.
Teddoman

12 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

Postby StuartCa » 09 May 2012, 09:57

Zla'od wrote:
but needed roots in China, (i.e. obviously had to be ethnic chinese)

And how would this be determined or demonstrated? Would they just eyeball you, or did they expect papers of some kind?

No, there's a special handshake.
If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home. ~James Michener
Forumosan avatar
StuartCa
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

15 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 09 May 2012, 10:33

They claim to have records dating "all the way back to the Mainland", where they can track your ancestry.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

790 Recommends(s)
615 Recognized(s)

Postby Teddoman » 09 May 2012, 21:50

Icon wrote:They claim to have records dating "all the way back to the Mainland", where they can track your ancestry.

Even if the mainland records check out, you still have to tap dance the secret code (in morse).
Teddoman

12 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

Postby tsukinodeynatsu » 02 Oct 2012, 15:00

bumclouds wrote:If my home country (Australia) granted special privileges to people who could prove their British Isles descent, the immigrants would be setting cars on fire.

I think we did this up until about 15 years ago, and then Brits were put on the same rules as everyone else.

Historically, Australia's got a terrible record for this kind of crap, though they're fairly good about it now.
tsukinodeynatsu
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

57 Recommends(s)
65 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 02 Oct 2012, 15:23

Ah but Australia's head of state is still the Queen, so there is actually logic in Commonwealth or British citizens getting some type of priority, the Chinese would certainly agree.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1833 Recommends(s)
657 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Overseas Taiwanese