va engls alfbet is tarabl

Welcome to the Open Forum - the discussion forum for topics that don't quite fit anywhere else. Fair warning: Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Moderators: TheGingerMan, Rockefeller

Forum rules
Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

va engls alfbet is tarabl

Postby akikaki1 » 04 May 2012, 01:20

you probally didn't understand the title, but read it letter by letter. Half the sounds change when reading and when next to another letter make a whole new sound. whats the point of a learning the letter 'c' ? if you pronounce ever 'c' you see as k. or ph magically becoming 'fa'. any reason for the letter x? i can of only a few words off the top of my head that even include x. whole alphabet needs to be fixed.
akikaki1
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
 
Posts: 167
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 06 Mar 2012, 08:41
11 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: va engls alfbet is tarabl

Postby Super Hans » 04 May 2012, 01:31

Tehre is nthoing worng wtih the Enlgsih alpahebt. I'ts fnie and has wroekd wlel for hundrdes of yares. Hoewvwwr, as lnog as the lsat and frist ltters are in the crorcet palce, readnig is not dfifciult bceause the barin lokos and idnetfiies tsehe ltteres and asusmes or prdeicts waht the wrod soulhd be in cnotxet.
iterensitng, heh?
The bones got the wrong detail I hoped it would have for you
Safe for a shin bone or even a hand
It's such a lonely ride...

This post was recommended by akikaki1 (04 May 2012, 01:42)
Rating: 5.88%
Forumosan avatar
Super Hans
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
 
Posts: 1299
Joined: 05 Mar 2011, 13:07
Location: Localiser Established
42 Recommends(s)
149 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: va engls alfbet is tarabl

Postby akikaki1 » 04 May 2012, 01:42

Super Hans wrote:Tehre is nthoing worng wtih the Enlgsih alpahebt. I'ts fnie and has wroekd wlel for hundrdes of yares. Hoewvwwr, as lnog as the lsat and frist ltters are in the crorcet palce, readnig is not dfifciult bceause the barin lokos and idnetfiies tsehe ltteres and asusmes or prdeicts waht the wrod soulhd be in cnotxet.
iterensitng, heh?



wow, I'm recommending the post. I guess we evolve from reading phonetically to reading like chinese characters.
akikaki1
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
 
Posts: 167
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 06 Mar 2012, 08:41
11 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: va engls alfbet is tarabl

Postby grandfeller » 04 May 2012, 02:33

Super Hans wrote:Tehre is nthoing worng wtih the Enlgsih alpahebt. I'ts fnie and has wroekd wlel for hundrdes of yares. Hoewvwwr, as lnog as the lsat and frist ltters are in the crorcet palce, readnig is not dfifciult bceause the barin lokos and idnetfiies tsehe ltteres and asusmes or prdeicts waht the wrod soulhd be in cnotxet.
iterensitng, heh?


That principle is one of my soapbox topics for why learning Chinese is not as hard as people generally believe. Like you point out, akikaki, we don't read Enlgish phonetically (other than when first learning), we recognize character patterns.

I favor re-engineering the English writing system.
grandfeller
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)
 
Posts: 72
Joined: 12 Apr 2012, 21:51
Location: Tennessee
12 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: va engls alfbet is tarabl

Postby akikaki1 » 04 May 2012, 02:43

grandfeller wrote:
Super Hans wrote:Tehre is nthoing worng wtih the Enlgsih alpahebt. I'ts fnie and has wroekd wlel for hundrdes of yares. Hoewvwwr, as lnog as the lsat and frist ltters are in the crorcet palce, readnig is not dfifciult bceause the barin lokos and idnetfiies tsehe ltteres and asusmes or prdeicts waht the wrod soulhd be in cnotxet.
iterensitng, heh?


That principle is one of my soapbox topics for why learning Chinese is not as hard as people generally believe. Like you point out, akikaki, we don't read Enlgish phonetically (other than when first learning), we recognize character patterns.

I favor re-engineering the English writing system.


Never realized any of this I'm blown away. I'm wondering if all phonetic alphabets evolve like this.
akikaki1
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
 
Posts: 167
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 06 Mar 2012, 08:41
11 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: va engls alfbet is tarabl

Postby superking » 04 May 2012, 02:58

The English language IS hard to learn to read and write, certainly harder than most European languages. Kids in the UK always have lower reading and writing ages than their European counterparts up until their teens. Some languages, like Italian, are phonetic, but then we don't bother with gender and countless verb formations. Italian easier to learn than English, because it is phonetic? Doubtful. Is it easier to show short term progress. Well, YES.

What is your native language may I ask, akikaki1? It may help to understand why you feel there is no point in learning the phonetic chart...

It is NOT clear cut that we recognize character patterns in the slightest. Neuroscience has no idea how we read, so I doubt our collective brains will solve this mystery, at least, not tonight. :D Universal Grammar? Explicit inaccessible rules? Something innate? Meh, nobody knows. The thing superhans showed you is a nice little phenomenon, but nobody can explain to you how it works.
There are millions of people in the world. And none of those people is an extra. They're all leads in their own stories.

If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced. That's why people with no sense of humour have an increased sense of self-importance.
superking
KTV Is My Life (jiùshì ài chàng KTV)
KTV Is My Life (jiùshì ài chàng KTV)
 
Posts: 2613
Joined: 19 Aug 2003, 05:05
65 Recommends(s)
270 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: va engls alfbet is tarabl

Postby akikaki1 » 04 May 2012, 05:26

superking wrote:The English language IS hard to learn to read and write, certainly harder than most European languages. Kids in the UK always have lower reading and writing ages than their European counterparts up until their teens. Some languages, like Italian, are phonetic, but then we don't bother with gender and countless verb formations. Italian easier to learn than English, because it is phonetic? Doubtful. Is it easier to show short term progress. Well, YES.

What is your native language may I ask, akikaki1? It may help to understand why you feel there is no point in learning the phonetic chart...

It is NOT clear cut that we recognize character patterns in the slightest. Neuroscience has no idea how we read, so I doubt our collective brains will solve this mystery, at least, not tonight. :D Universal Grammar? Explicit inaccessible rules? Something innate? Meh, nobody knows. The thing superhans showed you is a nice little phenomenon, but nobody can explain to you how it works.


Born and raised in Florida but I've just always noticed how werid English writing is.
akikaki1
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
 
Posts: 167
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 06 Mar 2012, 08:41
11 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: va engls alfbet is tarabl

Postby superking » 04 May 2012, 05:34

akikaki1 wrote:
Born and raised in Florida but I've just always noticed how werid English writing is.


An ENGLISH speaker :D You got not business in this convo you started! :D :D
There are millions of people in the world. And none of those people is an extra. They're all leads in their own stories.

If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced. That's why people with no sense of humour have an increased sense of self-importance.
superking
KTV Is My Life (jiùshì ài chàng KTV)
KTV Is My Life (jiùshì ài chàng KTV)
 
Posts: 2613
Joined: 19 Aug 2003, 05:05
65 Recommends(s)
270 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: va engls alfbet is tarabl

Postby akikaki1 » 04 May 2012, 06:06

superking wrote:
akikaki1 wrote:
Born and raised in Florida but I've just always noticed how werid English writing is.


An ENGLISH speaker :D You got not business in this convo you started! :D :D


Yor rite lulz
akikaki1
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
 
Posts: 167
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 06 Mar 2012, 08:41
11 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: va engls alfbet is tarabl

Postby superking » 04 May 2012, 14:02

akikaki1 wrote:
superking wrote:
akikaki1 wrote:
Born and raised in Florida but I've just always noticed how werid English writing is.


An ENGLISH speaker :D You got not business in this convo you started! :D :D


Yor rite lulz


NOTHING is worse than English speakers in this kind of convo. Phonetics. Allophonics. Sheet, it ain't pretty.

akikaki1, dude, start with denes and pinson, "the speech chain." That's about enough for now. That is a brilliant book. 2 dollars.
There are millions of people in the world. And none of those people is an extra. They're all leads in their own stories.

If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced. That's why people with no sense of humour have an increased sense of self-importance.
superking
KTV Is My Life (jiùshì ài chàng KTV)
KTV Is My Life (jiùshì ài chàng KTV)
 
Posts: 2613
Joined: 19 Aug 2003, 05:05
65 Recommends(s)
270 Recognized(s)

6000

Next




 
 
 x

Return to Open Forum



Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 4 visitors

Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year. No man has learned anything rightly, until he knows that every day is Doomsday -- RALPH WALDO EMERSON