va engls alfbet is tarabl

Welcome to the Open Forum - the discussion forum for topics that don't quite fit anywhere else. Fair warning: Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan, Rockefeller

Forum rules
Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Re: va engls alfbet is tarabl

Postby superking » 05 May 2012, 12:19

NON

SEQUITER
There are millions of people in the world. And none of those people is an extra. They're all leads in their own stories.

If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced. That's why people with no sense of humour have an increased sense of self-importance.
superking
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

102 Recommends(s)
347 Recognized(s)

Postby grandfeller » 05 May 2012, 22:42

TheGingerMan wrote:
grandfeller wrote:I favor re-engineering the English writing system.

In favour of what? Some kind of a slant such as a new and improved esperanto?
If so, what a load of shite!
English is such a beautiful language; as it can somehow hold the historical timeline of a past, present, and future in the very use of its own diction. It readily adapts, and at the same time, casts off new expressions, from all those that the mother tongue moistens, whilst keeping such opine of the past and present at least well read by the future. At least so far,.................................

I am all for new expression, but if that means cutting off the great veins of the past, then, I guess we shall see you at the watering hole.

Hahaha! Seems you feel passionately about the matter. I agree that there is a good deal of interesting history hidden in what, on the surface, appear to be irrational irregularities in English. Losing that would be a sad cost of re-engineering the written language. Even so, I favor a revamp. The long-term benefits of a rational, unambiguous writing system would outweigh the sentimental cost. This is part of the reason I'll side with the robots during the uprising.
grandfeller
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

12 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Postby TheGingerMan » 05 May 2012, 23:15

grandfeller wrote: The long-term benefits of a rational, unambiguous writing system would outweigh the sentimental cost. This is part of the reason I'll side with the robots during the uprising.

Where's me spanner? As it simply must go into such a works!
What are these long term benefits?
And why should a writing system be rational?
:ponder:
"Turne ye to the strong hold, ye prisoners of hope,
even to day do I declare that I will render double unto thee:"

~~~ZECHARIAH 9:12

"Or fill high hawkfell of my hand,
with skalds reward for skilled word?"

~~~Egill Skallagrimssøn, c.974

"Opinion is underrated since it is too difficult for most and not understood by the rest."
~~~elektronisk
Forumosan avatar
TheGingerMan
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)

4 Recommends(s)
246 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 0- 0-2114
Gruntleness: Fully Disgruntled

Postby grandfeller » 05 May 2012, 23:23

You may have convinced me, TheGingerMan, that the English writing system doesn't need re-engineered. Instead, we just need to establish C++ as the official international language - efficient means of expression and zero ambiguity.

TheGingerMan wrote: And why should a writing system be rational?

The new robot masters are sooo gonna have their way with you.
grandfeller
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

12 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 06 May 2012, 15:53

Re-engineering the English language? They tried that in Glasgow. We ended up with Billy Connolly bungee-jumping in the nude off a bridge in New Zealand. Be careful what you wish for.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Open Forum