Massive rise in Asian eye damage

Welcome to the Open Forum - the discussion forum for topics that don't quite fit anywhere else. Fair warning: Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan, Rockefeller

Forum rules
Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Massive rise in Asian eye damage

Postby cake » 05 May 2012, 17:30

Up to 90% of school leavers in major Asian cities are suffering from myopia - short-sightedness - a study suggests.

Researchers say the "extraordinary rise" in the problem is being caused by students working very hard in school and missing out on outdoor light.

The scientists told the Lancet that up to one in five of these students could experience severe visual impairment and even blindness.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17942181
"War is just a racket. I helped make Mexico, safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefits of Wall Street. I helped purify Nicaragua for international banking in 1909-1912. In China I helped to see to it that Standard Oil went its way unmolested" - Major General Smedley Butler
http://lexrex.com/enlightened/articles/warisaracket.htm
cake
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

ORIGINAL POSTER
Location: Dubya - who has borrowed more $$$ than the previous 42 presidents combined
27 Recognized(s)

Re: Massive rise in Asian eye damage

Postby akikaki1 » 05 May 2012, 17:39

cake wrote:Up to 90% of school leavers in major Asian cities are suffering from myopia - short-sightedness - a study suggests.

Researchers say the "extraordinary rise" in the problem is being caused by students working very hard in school and missing out on outdoor light.

The scientists told the Lancet that up to one in five of these students could experience severe visual impairment and even blindness.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17942181

Eyewan
akikaki1
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

11 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby superking » 05 May 2012, 17:46

I thought this was old news? Part of the reason Taiwan is still not a first world country is that they don't have enough electrical light, or so the story goes...
There are millions of people in the world. And none of those people is an extra. They're all leads in their own stories.

If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced. That's why people with no sense of humour have an increased sense of self-importance.
superking
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

102 Recommends(s)
347 Recognized(s)

Postby Steviebike » 05 May 2012, 18:14

One is the reasons cited is the midday nap. That the retina doesn't receive enough light for growth stimulation. Interestingly Spain has a siesta but no significant problem (than other countries that don't siesta). I t could be that in Spain the kids get outside to play a lot more?

Might be controversial, but Taiwan can often seem short-sighted on it's outlook... Maybe there is some irony there?
Just checking but you're a South African Engrish Teachur right? No. I'm a Russian nuclear physicist.
Forumosan avatar
Steviebike
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

70 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 05 May 2012, 19:54

cake wrote:Up to 90% of school leavers in major Asian cities are suffering from myopia - short-sightedness - a study suggests.

I'm assuming "school leavers" means "high school graduates" rather than "secondary school or university drop-outs".

But I thought it was it old news that 90% of Taiwan's high school students are myopic because of the constant studying they have to do throughout their childhoods. Ever notice that almost all of them wear glasses?
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

92 Recommends(s)
204 Recognized(s)

Postby Nuit » 05 May 2012, 19:58

I've kicked off at least 2 threads on this in the past. S'all true.
Myopia rules, due to over studying and not enough outdoor exercise.
It's raining again here. I'm rising up like a beautiful bubble to the surface.

A wicked wind whips up the hill, a handful of hopeful words.
I was what you would call seriously strung out.
Forumosan avatar
Nuit
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

74 Recommends(s)
104 Recognized(s)

Postby Abacus » 06 May 2012, 01:52

It's shocking how many elementary students have glasses. That and flat feet but that's a different thread.
Abacus
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

136 Recommends(s)
137 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 06 May 2012, 12:09

Not only that, but also high incidence of retina damage/eye diseases. I find this very ironic as my boss keeps all curtains drawn "since the sun damages her eyes" but then we have to stare at computers 9 hours a day under fluorescent flickering lights. :loco:
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

769 Recommends(s)
593 Recognized(s)

Postby the bear » 06 May 2012, 14:16

Is it not also possible that the glorious Chinese peoples have lucked out in the eye department? Just postulating a hypothesis here, but there's a genetic element to poor eyesight (i.e. it often runs in the family) so its also possible there's a racial element. Feel free to correct me if I'm thinking too far outside the box. :cool:
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
Forumosan avatar
the bear
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

30 Recommends(s)
114 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 06 May 2012, 15:01

They can easily control for this by using Asian immigrant populations in places like Australia.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1797 Recommends(s)
644 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Open Forum