Massive rise in Asian eye damage

Welcome to the Open Forum - the discussion forum for topics that don't quite fit anywhere else. Fair warning: Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan, Rockefeller

Forum rules
Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Re: Massive rise in Asian eye damage

Postby the bear » 06 May 2012, 17:08

headhonchoII wrote:They can easily control for this by using Asian immigrant populations in places like Australia.

Anedotally most of my ethnic Chinese classmates in school in NZ wore glasses. These guys had the same Kiwi lifestyle as the rest of us, yet were wearing glasses by 12 or 13.
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
Forumosan avatar
the bear
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

30 Recommends(s)
107 Recognized(s)

Massive rise in Asian eye damage

Postby headhonchoII » 06 May 2012, 19:48

I'm sure the scientists have taken these obvious factors into account.
There is probably data from children who have been forcibly kept indoors which gave rise to this hypothesis.
I wonder if they have tested this with animals too.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1719 Recommends(s)
622 Recognized(s)

Re: Massive rise in Asian eye damage

Postby asiababy » 06 May 2012, 21:14

My friends and I noticed that kids outside of the cities have less of a need for glasses. At my kids' school, only one student out of 60 wears glasses. The kids spend a lot of class time outside (not much time studying after school either, I might add). Purely anecdotal but noticeable.
Family-friendly events and destinations Taiwan-wide. http://kidzone-tw.blogspot.com/
asiababy
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

2 Recommends(s)
46 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Open Forum